Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 Months Today and going back

6 Months Today and going back

Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Months Today and going back

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Totally with you !
+ 1 (but is seems such a bloody shame, when you've gone to so much trouble to get the family and kids there in the first place - no easy feat).
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandersons
That's what I was thinking. I don't mean to come across as callous or rude but I just don't understand why a whole family would move back because a child doesn't like something. Did you move to Canada because the kid wanted to? Seems strange to me. Kids have to learn the ups and downs of life - you can't, and shouldn't, protect them from every upset. Weren't you upset at something when you were a child? I bet you dealt with it and moved on. Same thing would happen here.

I agree and I am one who moved around a lot as a kid. I'm glad the moving stopped before I hit the teens but to let a teen decide the fate of the entire family is, to me, totally unacceptable. I HATED school when I was 16. I started highschool and absolutely loathed it. Did we pick up sticks and move? Nope. I was allowed to leave school and was instantly told to find a job, so I did. My first job was as a teacher's assistant. Go figure.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I agree and I am one who moved around a lot as a kid. I'm glad the moving stopped before I hit the teens but to let a teen decide the fate of the entire family is, to me, totally unacceptable.
If we believe their posts, most emigrants allow their children to determine the fate of the family, "for the children" is the cliched reason to emigrate. If it's laudable to move out of England to advance their unstated desires it's surely laudable to move back again to advance their stated ones.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If we believe their posts, most emigrants allow their children to determine the fate of the family, "for the children" is the cliched reason to emigrate. If it's laudable to move out of England to advance their unstated desires it's surely laudable to move back again to advance their stated ones.
I think the first time it's said to be "for the children" is part of the reason. Giving them more opportunities. Having a bigger house, etc etc etc. But to move back because the teens hate school, that's just absurd. ALL teens (with the exception of a very few) HATE school. So to use that as a reason to up sticks and move, is not right. The teens will hate school no matter where in the world they are.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

teens will use whatever ammunition they have in their arsenal to get their own way.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
teens will use whatever ammunition they have in their arsenal to get their own way.
Kids in general I'd say! The prospects for school leavers arn't great here at the moment! I wonder if they might regret the decision in a couple of years?! I'm pretty sure there's more to it than a kid not liking the school. Luckily, mine are chomping at the bit to move to Canada...so am I!!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
Kids in general I'd say! The prospects for school leavers arn't great here at the moment! I wonder if they might regret the decision in a couple of years?! I'm pretty sure there's more to it than a kid not liking the school. Luckily, mine are chomping at the bit to move to Canada...so am I!!
Same in Canada. Leavers struggle to find work so hopefully you'll not regret the decision in a couple of years
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Indigo Rye is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, we to are moving to Canada next summer, possibly Petawawa , the most important thing for me is to make sure my children will be happy, my eldest is 17 and will have finished A levels he will take a gap year to ponder uni , does anyone have any advice on university places in Canada , fees and if he will qualify ? My daughter is 15 and will have finished her gcse's I know nothing at present of education in Canada ,she would be doing her Alevels how does it work ?? Sorry I am clueless and have been searching the web. My husband will be working for the military so we will all have temporary citizenship, any help will be greatly appreciated , keeping teens happy are a worry, X
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The best thing you should do is start a new thread with the same question in the Canada forum, that way more people will see it.

At 15 your daughter will go into High School until Grade 12 (18 years old or there abouts). She would probably go into Grade 10.

As for Uni, it's expensive and depending on subject depends on places just like in the UK. Someone will be able to offer more advice about that.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Indigo Rye is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, new to this !!!!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Sarah, the first six months are the hardest. The first year is tough. The second year is tough but not as bad, but by the third year if you can stick it out you wont want to move back...
But look at it another way, if you did move back would you want regrets in thinking perhaps you should have given it a year or two? I know its a tough decision, but whatever you decide. Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Sarah, the first six months are the hardest. The first year is tough. The second year is tough but not as bad, but by the third year if you can stick it out you wont want to move back...
But look at it another way, if you did move back would you want regrets in thinking perhaps you should have given it a year or two? I know its a tough decision, but whatever you decide. Good luck.
Or after a few years would they regret not moving back sooner?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Or after a few years would they regret not moving back sooner?
I guess each case is different. I found from my experience, when I met expats I found a common theme that ran in regards to the timeline I mentioned.
You could move back sooner. But another perspective is that England is not going anywhere(i.e its not going to vanish off the map).
When I took the leap to work in Canada, it was a big decision. One good piece of advise a colleague gave me was that if it does not work out... well you can just come back.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:34 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
I guess each case is different. I found from my experience, when I met expats I found a common theme that ran in regards to the timeline I mentioned.
You could move back sooner. But another perspective is that England is not going anywhere(i.e its not going to vanish off the map).
When I took the leap to work in Canada, it was a big decision. One good piece of advise a colleague gave me was that if it does not work out... well you can just come back.
I'm confused. So is it better to regret not living in Canada or living in Canada
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12

Giving up your new life due to a teenagers feelings isn't necessarily helping them or "taking into account their happiness", any more than a responsible parent would give in to a child's demands for sweets at every supermarket checkout.
You are not seriously comparing a teenager who is unhappy with his life due to a desicion his parents made with a, let's say, 4 year old shouting for more sweets?????????????????????

So you think they should stay strong and force the kid to stay here?

I think if parents make a desicion and it shows serious effects on the kids then they should consider to change plans. And yes 6 months is not long but only Sarah knows how bad it is and how much and what they tried to persuade their son or help him to like it. I'd rather move back and have happy kids than live here and have to deal with sad and depressed children.
I guess everybody should do what they think is right and I wish Sarah all the best for her family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.