Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 proof of relationship - Affidavit and?

I-130 proof of relationship - Affidavit and?

Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Guiri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 proof of relationship - Affidavit and?

Hi,

I've read a few other posts here like this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689117 about what to add to the i-130 as proof of an ongoing relationship. In our case, the relationship has existed through multiple VWP stays and webcams! We don't really have any official proof of co-mingling of money/residence as it's not been possible or necessary.

We're thinking my fiance's father could write an affidavit, but do you have any suggestions on what else we can offer as proof?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 proof of relationship - Affidavit and?

You don't need to prove an "ongoing marriage", you need 'documentation that may evidence the bona fides of your marriage'.
They are different things.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Do go on...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The marital relationship may be ongoing, but if it's ongoing for the purpose of getting the alien into the USA as a Permanent Resident it's not bona fide.

You have to show that the reason for being married to this person is something other than giving her a means to immigrate.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna

Originally Posted by Guiri
Do go on...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We're thinking my fiance's father could write an affidavit, but do you have any suggestions on what else we can offer as proof?
Hopefully you mean "spouse" here.

It's difficult for newlyweds to have proof of co-mingling of their lives together, since their life together is so new. A couple of sworn affidavits from people who know you as a married couple will probably be enough, for now.

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

A couple of sworn affidavits from people who know you as a married couple will probably be enough
Is this the only type of proof we can offer?

And on a more general note, how important is this part of the petition? We hope to file the petition very soon after our marriage. Will the duration of the marriage be a factor?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the only type of proof we can offer?
No, you can offer anything else you have that shows your joint life together. I'm not sure what you have, so it's hard to tell you what to include.

And on a more general note, how important is this part of the petition? We hope to file the petition very soon after our marriage. Will the duration of the marriage be a factor?
Well, the I-130 is very important because it establishes the fact that you're married and that the marriage is bona-fide (not for immigration purposes only). As I mentioned many newlyweds have nothing joint, so affidavits are all they have.

Duration of marriage is not a factor.

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

you can offer anything else you have that shows your joint life together. I'm not sure what you have, so it's hard to tell you what to include
Do any examples of what other people have offfered come to mind? We need some inspiration here!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:07 pm

Do any examples of what other people have offfered come to mind? We need some inspiration here!
Stuff like: joint banking, joint utility bills, joint lease or mortgage, joint insurance, joint memberships, that type of thing. But again, if you just got married and not living together as a married couple yet, you won't have all that.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, that other thread?

Newlyweds living in two countries often have to rely on affidavits from people who know the couple. The US citizen can add the new spouse to insurance, banking, utilities, social and other sorts of accounts.. all the stuff you will probably do when you're living together.
Show that you are a bona fide married couple, not doing this just for the immigration benefit.

It doesn't have to be much.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:13 am
Just Joined

The US citizen can add the new spouse to insurance, banking, utilities, social and other sorts of accounts..
Is that really possible though for someone who's not a legal resident (yet)? Would we need a joint bank account at least?
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:15 pm

Is that really possible though for someone who's not a legal resident (yet)? Would we need a joint bank account at least?
Yes, it's possible.

You don't NEED one, but if you want to get one together, you can.

Rene