Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Any help appreciated...and a big hi from hubby and myself

Any help appreciated...and a big hi from hubby and myself

Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default Any help appreciated...and a big hi from hubby and myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to one and all, l would like to introduce myself.... my name is Elaine and my husband Paul and l are looking to come visit NZ in April of next year for a minimum of a month, with a view to migrating and living in NZ into our dotage.

We are both very excited about the prospect of doing this and both are realistic enough to know that we must be open minded about the move...has anyone any input of any kind that might be of use to us in anyway...every little helps...we are both researching as often as time allows us into this beautiful country...one of our main issues is 'what visa' to apply for to enable us to do this as l'm a little too old for the work visa, Paul however can, but has been self employed in the property business here in the UK for the last 27 years, so it's a dilemma in a way, (but a nice one to have though l guess ) The assessment forms seem to want certificates to prove you know what you know, alas l don't have any as in the days of my working it was experience that mattered. l have however been the proud owner of a small retail outlet. But that was purely family and l other member of the public as a member of staff. Soooooo as long winded as this might seem sooooooooorrry but again any input will be much appreciated...l thank you all in advance...
xxElainexx
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help appreciated...and a big hi from hubby and myself

Perhaps the best thing to do might be to fill in a "trial" Expression of Interest" easily found online, to see if you can get up to the magic 100 points you would need to be considered for residency. Your OH would have to fill it in and claim for you as a partner (as I am deducing you are over 55?). You would not be claiming any points, if you say you are "too old" so you won't need to provide evidence of work experience.

Your husband will need to check if his job is on the long term shortage list, or in the Skilled category. The key thing for you seems as though it might be to get those 100 points... or more of course! Without the magic 100 points, you would need to be sponsored by close family already over there.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ can answer some of these questions for you.

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jun 21st 2009 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Perhaps the best thing to do might be to fill in a "trial" Expression of Interest" easily found online, to see if you can get up to the magic 100 points you would need to be considered for residency. Your OH would have to fill it in and claim for you as a partner (as I am deducing you are over 55?). You would not be claiming any points, if you say you are "too old" so you won't need to provide evidence of work experience.

Your husband will need to check if his job is on the long term shortage list, or in the Skilled category. The key thing for you seems as though it might be to get those 100 points... or more of course! Without the magic 100 points, you would need to be sponsored by close family already over there.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ can answer some of these questions for you.
Hi Jan n Neil,

Thank you for the info sent, l wasn't really sure how many points is the minimum requirement, l was 55 in March and told by one of the Emigration Companies that l was border-line with be able to acrue points. Your advice is very welcomed thank you...xxElainexx
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora and welcome to the NZ forum.

If you wish to emigrate here to New Zealand and therefore become permanent residents , then there are a few ways that this may be possible.

If your husband has a skilled occupation and the qualifications and work experience to match, then it may be possible for you to enter under the Skilled Migrant Category. Most of us come in that way.
This is a points based system. The minimum points are 100.
Your husband would be the main applicant and you would gain PR on the back of his application.
Try the POINTS INDICATOR to see what points you might be able to claim.

If you are quietly minted $$$, then it may be you could come in under the General Investor Category

Originally Posted by NZIS
General (Active) Investor Category – for migrants investing a minimum of NZ$2.5 million in New Zealand, who have an additional NZ$1 million for settlement funds.
If you can prove you have run a business then you may wish to investigate the Long Term Business visa. This is not for the faint hearted though.

Originally Posted by NZIS
Long Term Business Visa (LTBV) – A three-year Work Visa to provide sufficient time to move to New Zealand and commence your business prior to applying for New Zealand Residence.
There is also Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur (Residence) – After running your business for two years you may be eligible to apply for New Zealand Residence as an entrepreneur.
Residence from work if your husband could get a job offer from an NZ accredited employer

Residence from Work – If an employee has been working in New Zealand for at least two years for an accredited employer, they can apply under our Residence from Work Category.
.....or you could be sponsored if you have an immediate family member living here as a permanent resident.