Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Originally Posted by BATS666
the ozforex site shows the interbank lending rate as well as the rate they offer you.
Yes it does. However, I did find I could get a better rate by phoning up initially and haggling a bit, then once it was set we could do it on line.

I must admit personally I wanted to speak to somebody initially, to get better understanding of the various options.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Yes it does. However, I did find I could get a better rate by phoning up initially and haggling a bit, then once it was set we could do it on line.

I must admit personally I wanted to speak to somebody initially, to get better understanding of the various options.
thanks for that. I'll phone next time !
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Looks like we missed the boat with the way the rates going now
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chilliman
Looks like we missed the boat with the way the rates going now
Yep, typical eh! I joined up with the 3 main currency companies and now they won't stop bloomin hassling me to change some funds! Grrrrrr...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR
Yep, typical eh! I joined up with the 3 main currency companies and now they won't stop bloomin hassling me to change some funds! Grrrrrr...
Been there before, it's easy to make a quick decision then have regrets. Oh well at least the rates better than it was, still watching for another bounce!?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Yeah, just wait til you get put through to their dealing team........good salesmen (and women!!)
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

foreveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura about

How far back does everyone think it will fall.

I was hoping for a median on the graph at about 2.40 with it going up and down 10 cents either side of it.

I'm a bit worried now that the big jump up to 2.60 was an over reaction and it could settle a lot lower than 2.40.

Having spent the day studying the uk/aus bank reports from this months meetings and any thread on anything to do with exchange rates i reached crystal ball time.

I had thought the next turning point might be next months bank meetings and as the aus one is 2 days earlier a short window(not one to jump from) might open.

Question is who will lower their base rate the most and what effect will it have on the money markets,crystal ball time again? or shall i throw it through that window?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by foreveryoung1
Having spent the day studying the uk/aus bank reports from this months meetings and any thread on anything to do with exchange rates i reached crystal ball time.

I had thought the next turning point might be next months bank meetings and as the aus one is 2 days earlier a short window(not one to jump from) might open.

Question is who will lower their base rate the most and what effect will it have on the money markets,crystal ball time again? or shall i throw it through that window?
I wish I knew, then I would be rather richer than I am now........

Still think that in a recession, most things revert to what they once were (e.g. Iceland banking superpower? I think not.....), so my vote is higher....maybe.....then maybe not - still think the story has a long way to go....
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...018001,00.html

More rate cuts on the way but looks like may not be as quick as thought!??

But then again ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

God I am glad I caught the last spike instead of making kids packed lunches!!!

BUT we still have house money to move early next year so I am still there watching and waiting and chanting the mantra.....trying to get what I can in place for the next rate cut opportunity next month...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice

so do you think the exchange rate will go back up?

Sharon
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonmcallister
so do you think the exchange rate will go back up?

Sharon
yeah I do, but then I know nothing so don't listen to me
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

foreveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura about

So much seems to hinge on the next moves by the central banks.

As there seems to be no clear picture yet from any of the press reports in either uk or aus we will have to wait until early next month.

The indicators seemed to be that the uk intend to lower by either a quarter or half percent and aus half.

If aus lowers first by half will that spark the currency movement or will it occur if the uk only lower by a quarter?

The uk is in recession and aus is trying to avoid it.

It still doesn't tell me where the exchange rate is going? But at least we now have some guidelines.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:54 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

I have been reading this site for about a year. During this time, the U.K. and U.S.A.'s banking systems nearly collapsed causing what we know as the 'credit crunch'. I have read so many posts from people proclaiming to know it all, stating that Aus would not suffer for various reasons and not to ever expect the exchange rate to go up to 2.5 again.

It now seems that we are indeed in a GLOBAL 'credit crunch' and we are ALL suffering. Having been in Aus last month it seems to me that it is however only just starting to bite down there.

Think this just goes to show that no-one can safely predict what will happen but if I were a gambling man, I would predict that the interest rates in Aus will fall by a greater % than in the U.K. because they are that much higher making the pound stronger.

But then again, maybe I'm just one of those people proclaiming to know it all!!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:14 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

AUD/USD just went over the edge .. 63c,,, GBP/AUD back to 2.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.