Well that was a quick year, can't believe its come round so quickly!
I thought I'd just share my observations from my year in Perth. Please note these are just my observations, as my posts always seem to upset somebody who take them out of context or read more into what I'm really saying.
In no particular order of good or bad....
* The climate is truly amazing. Although air con in summer is mandatory, I repeat mandatory!
* The beaches are stunning and so close to the city and the suburbs.
* The driving standards are appalling and there is a complete dependence on motor vehicles (it does my head in cycling past so many cars on the way to work with single drivers)
* The flies in November and December - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:curse:
* Shops not opening on a Sunday is just a joke and embarrassing.
* Everyone complaining about daylight saving - again joke and embarrassing.
* Peoples small mindness and opposition to any form of change whatsoever
* Public transport is fantastic - on time, cheap, clean. If somewhat over crowed in rush hours
* The amount of parks and open spaces are truly mind blowing - and with bbq's and play equipment for the kids
* Although everyone seems friendly why does it feel so clicky?
* (This could upset a few..) I find Australians from other states and people from overseas to be so much more friendly then born and bred West Aussies
* WA teams are exceptional crap at any sport you care to name*
* Can someone please reprogram the awful traffic lights!!!
* There are so many lovely holiday destinations within WA (although its time consuming and expensive to go to them)
* Health and safety from UK would have a field day here - Gloucester Tree anyone?
* TV is awful
* Internet speeds and capping/prices are awful.
* Couldn't believe how little income tax I paid - sweet!
* Couldn't believe how much I had to pay doctors/hospital fees!
* Wildlife = amazing
* Wife won't like this - but aussie woman are so much fitter than UK woman
* Its a long way from anywhere but oddly I don't feel isolated
* I don't feel homesick at all - I feel people sick
* Second hand cars are a rip off (4 * price of UK), new cars are a bargain
* Utility bills are ridiculously cheap - especially water bill
* People here work hard and very long hours (40 hour week minimum) but 3-4 hours overtime is expected on top
* From a software development view IT systems and working practices are 5+ years behind europe/US. Not good for your career.
* Air fares are comically high
* Heat in summer can act just like rain in winter in UK - you wont leave the house!
* There should be lots to outdoors but for some reason its sometimes hard to actually find anything to do (Maybe that dullsville tag is deserved)
* I don't think Australians really feel connected to the world and as such define themselves by sport
* I don't like the way Aboriginal people are treated on the whole and all the people complaining when Kevin Rudd said sorry are just pathetic
That's enough for now, there's loads more stuff but the post is getting to long!
Now please I don't want to offend anyway these are just my feelings (I'm not saying the above is fact - Its just the impression I've got)
In all though its been a brilliant experience, made some great friends (Aussie, Brits, Italian, Romanian, Kiwis, Swiss, Polish) - but I can't wait to get back to UK and Bristol now.