Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:17 am
antonio_dpo

antonio_dpo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

I have seen that prices are slightly cheaper now on the Costa Blanca but I wouldn't buy there as the crime rate is on the up and up,I assume this is why so many people are trying to sell up there.

Originally Posted by GCM
Spoke to a Costa Blanca estate agent on Friday who I know. Things are slow here. Many people are very very keen to sell. Advice was to forget the price - go in and offer at least €100,000 less and see what happens.

Houses that are aware of the slower market and are priced correctly are selling quickly it's just that so many people haven't yet realised where the market is right now - it's gone down and if you are selling, sorry but you missed the peak.

Mark (No vested interest whatsoever)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Well it seems people are starting to realise what is going on in my country. Check the following news (taken from "La razón" one of the biggest Spanish paper):

http://www.larazon.es/noticias/noti_eco85228.htm

98% less inversion from foreign people in Spain. Isn´t that something? It seems everybody with half a brain is putting his/her money somewhere else...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Don´t buy property in Spain or you will lose a lot of money

Ivanmax, I wonder how " your country " would be these days had it not been for the foreign residents and tourists who have spent millions here ?

Last edited by meseta; Nov 2nd 2005 at 1:17 pm. Reason: spelling !
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for one thing I'd guess that the local people would still be able to afford to buy houses on local wages.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

Then maybe local people's parents wouldn't be driving around in the mercedes and bm's ? May not be all bad !

Are you saying therefore that the inflated house prices and solely due to foreigners purchases ?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:01 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanmax
I am Spanish and lived in Britain for five years (went to college there). My advice:

DON´T, DON´T, DON´T BUY PROPERTY IN SPAIN!!!

We got a huge housing bubble here and it is about to burst. If you want to invest in property go to Croacia (nice weather and people), Turkey or anywhere else.

There is a huge housing problem in my country and things are going to get very nasty in the next years. If you buy a property in Spain you will be losing money and I suppose you don´t fancy that do you?

By the way, I bought a nice massionete in Southampton in 1999 for 52000 pounds. The same kind of property here cost about four times the price and it is built with the crappiest materials in the Earth (the guys who build the houses in Spain only care about making money quickly).

Buy yourself a house in my beautiful country and you regret having done it in less than two years. Prices are going down for sure. It can not be otherwise in a country where the average salary is 600 pounds (monthly) and a one bedroom flat can go easily for 250000 pounds.

Take my advice and put your money somewhere else.

A nice Spanish man,

Iván.
Hey there Ivan:
How can you generalize?
My brother and his fiancee bought a house for 150,000 Euros last Summer, guess how much it'd cost to buy the very same house now?, 190,000 Euros!
I have a friend who just sold her house for 100,000 even though she paid 140,000 for it, bottom line is that selling a house in Spain is not easy
but to extrapolate to that extend is very unfair.

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Nov 2nd 2005 at 4:04 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

The fact is that I love British people coming to my country. After all the Spanish economy depends on that doesn´t it?

I am just trying to warm you. What you do with your money is your business but I would recomend you to be careful if you are thinking about purchasing property in Spain.

Iván.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Hi,

The fact is that I love British people coming to my country. After all the Spanish economy depends on that doesn´t it?

I am just trying to warm you. What you do with your money is your business but I would recomend you to be careful if you are thinking about purchasing property in Spain.

Iván.
Has anyone heard about the new pension options in Britain? From what I understand you will be given an option to purchase property abroad as an investment. I understand from an estate agent in Spain there is a lot of exexcitementbout it, and may boost the market again.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting info from REM radio yesterday morning,
In the next three years , 30,000, THIRTY THOUSAND Brits will be buying homes in Spain.

I guess those folks don't read this forum or don't believe the topic starter !
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:15 am
antonio_dpo

Originally Posted by meseta
Interesting info from REM radio yesterday morning,
In the next three years , 30,000, THIRTY THOUSAND Brits will be buying homes in Spain.

I guess those folks don't read this forum or don't believe the topic starter !
I hope they all know what they're letting themselves in for.There's at least 8 vultures looking to wheadle a percentage off you before you even start paying for your little plot of land or house.This includes,banks and lawyers.Before buying in Spain I would put another 20,000 euros on top of the price of the house because there are so many vultures' palms to grease.I definitely won't be buying now,the prices will come down.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:19 am
antonio_dpo

Originally Posted by poollounger
Perhaps he was referring to the buying process rather than the market??
I would agree with this.The buying process has already made me crazy.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:09 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Iván.
You are losing it!!!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:31 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NicCol
Has anyone heard about the new pension options in Britain? From what I understand you will be given an option to purchase property abroad as an investment. I understand from an estate agent in Spain there is a lot of exexcitementbout it, and may boost the market again.
All part of the SIPS scheme....I haven't researched the details yet, but it isn't just a case of buying a property.. you have to set up a Self Invested Pension Scheme and hold it within. Do your homework carefully !! And don't believe anything you are told and check and double check !! Yes there are agents who employ intermediaries where the price will be bumped up, and some who don't. I considered a house with the agent I bought from which I saw advertised elsewhere at another E40,000
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

For the unbelievers:

http://www.burbuja.info/inmobiliaria...isplay.php?f=2

If you are thinking about buying in Spain wait for a few months. The main Spanish papers have finally printed that prices have stopped rising and are starting to drop in some places of Barcelona and Madrid. This is a very serious thing as most spanish papers are owned by the same guys who build most of the properties in my country. This means that they can´t hide anymore what is going on here without breaking journalism ethics and having problems with the law.

Ii is only a matter of time before we start to see big drops in prices (specially in second hand property, which at the moment is getting very difficult to sell). According to the papers owners of second hand properties that cost more than 200000 euros are finding very serious difficulties to sell them.

My mail box is everyday inundated with publicity of new flats being built around my city (Burgos in the North of Spain). These guys are starting to have serious problems to sell those properties too.

And finally. Yesterday in the main Spanish Economics paper ("Five days") it was said that this year 800000 new properties have been build in Spain. The same number than in the UK, France and Germany put together. And that in a country with "zero grown"!!!

Do you know about the demand and supply law of economics? Well huge price drops are only a matter of time so if you are thinking about buying keep your money and wait for the right time.

Iván.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Charles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really niceCharles_Austin is just really nice

Hi,

Can you read Spanish? Well if you can here you have a few very good reasons why the price of property in Spain is bound to go down drastically (taken from a Spanish housing foro):

- Somos el 4º consumidor de cemento del mundo
- En España la vivienda es ya más cara que en Alemania y Japón, paises donde un currito mal pagado cobra no menos de 1200 y 1500 euros/mes respectivamente
- Que siendo los españoles el 9% de la población de la zona euro tenemos el 25% de la deuda hipotecaria de la misma zona
- Las familias ahorran al mismo nivel que en 1965 y las empresas de refinanciación han encontrado en España su El Dorado particular (incluso hay gente que pide créditos para pagar otros créditos, dijeron en Radio Intereconom�*a la otra noche)
- El 33% de la obra nueva de 2004 de madrid aún HOY está sin vender
- La práctica mayor�*a del baby-boom ya está colocada
- Se construyeron el año pasado 800.000 viviendas en este pa�*s. Más que FRANCIA, ALEMANIA e INGLATERRA JUNTAS(!!!!!!!)
- La inversión extranjera en España ha ca�*do un 98% en un año (y sigue cayendo)
- Somos el pa�*s de la zona euro con mayor inflación (con una cé, para que no se enfaden los talibanes lingü�*sticos) y el BCE está a punto de subir los tipos.
- Hay precendentes históricos de bajadas de vivienda en otros paises actualmente (EEUU, Inglaterra y Australia) y hace algún tiempo (Alemania y Japón). Algunas más fuertes que otras, pero BAJADAS. En algunas zonas de España YA SE EMPIEZAN A NOTAR LAS BAJADAS, por mucho que las llamen "suaves correcciones" y cosas as�* en los medios.

Translate it in Google if you can´t read Spanish. It would be worth your time believe me.

Charles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.