Ecuador

Old Apr 20th 2024, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ecuador

Originally Posted by BEVS
Evening Gordon.
You probably wouldn't wish this for several reasons but I rather hope you make it to the King's Telegram. That means plenty of years to spend near your son or to enjoy where you are still. Mobility can be overcome .
Edit to add - this is actually an interesting thread about a place I know nothing about. Makes a welcome change.
Morning, M. Yes this is an interesting thread! I'm looking forward to checking the place out, when I'm a bit older... Not a bad place to end my days, I think - as long as I have someone to lean on for the language!
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HLJ
... I think Ecuadorian Spanish is probably the clearest and easiest dialect to understand, at least in the Sierra, not so much the coastal accents. Certainly, someone who speaks Mexican Spanish will have no difficulty understanding Ecuadorian Spanish, though they might have to adjust their pronunciation in order to be understood themselves. The main difference will be the vocabulary, as there is a lot of Kichwa influence and loan words.
My son is visiting me now, and we've been talking about the differences in the Spanish versions spoken in Latin America. He and a Mexican girlfriend (a university lecturer) spent a week in Cuba once, years ago, and she found great difficulty understanding the Cubans, and he didn't. Hers was middle-class Spanish, while he had bummed around Mexico among the lower classes. So his was closer to Cuban than hers!
Old Apr 24th 2024, 9:27 am
HLJ
Forum Regular

HLJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't remember having any particular problem with the language in Cuba, but it was a while ago now. Chile, though, that's something else. I'm not entirely convinced we were speaking the same language at all. I could roughly communicate for basic stuff in Brazil with them speaking Portuguese and me speaking Spanish. I couldn't even buy a bus ticket in Chile.
Old May 4th 2024, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My son and his girlfriend intend to start a yoga + plant-medicine "retreat" for gringos. He's 48 - old enough to know better (!), but flexible enough to have several short but reasonably rewarding mini-careers under his belt. She too. I'm happy here in my home of the past 46 years, still earning a small income, but have decided to retire to Ecuador near them, maybe next year. My living expenses there ought to be covered by renting or selling my house in Cayman. What do you reckon, HL? Not too much of a gamble, is it?
Old May 4th 2024, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
...You probably wouldn't wish this for several reasons but I rather hope you make it to the King's Telegram. That means plenty of years to spend near your son or to enjoy where you are still. Mobility can be overcome ...
The thing is, that old codgers don't need much space! Not that I would ever live in the same house as my son (only child) and family, but my wants are limited. Here, I make minimal use of a kitchen, a bedroom and ensuite bathroom, a washing machine, and a recliner in the lounge - a bare third or quarter of the whole house. The rest of the space is wasted, except when the kids come. So moving to mini-accommodation in Ecuador - or anywhere - would be fine for me. As long as it doesn't have stairs, of course!