Very Annoyed

Old Apr 23rd 2024, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very Annoyed

Had plumbers and electrician here last week to fit all the fixtures, washbasin and mirror cabinet. Jeez, I couldn't believe how low they had fitted the mirror cabinet. It meant if I wanted to splash my face with water I'd have to put my head down, then forward and then move it side ways to be above the wash basin. I had expected them to fit it the same height as in the bathroom show room. I had to tell the plumbers the next day it was far too low and as mentioned not at same height as in bathroom show room. They have moved it higher but unfortunately there is a drilled hole in one tile which you can see. I am in two minds do I insist they remove that tile and replace it or place an artificial plant in front of the hole? If they replace the tile they will have to remove the mirror cabinet. Not only that but with the tiles being 60cm x 20cm means 8cm lengthwise of the tile needing to be replaced is behind the washing machine/dryer tower! What are your thoughts?

I am particularly annoyed because I think it was the electrician who fitted the mirror cabinet. The two plumbers were with us in Mömax when we bought it so saw the height it was fitted in the bathroom show room. Still there should have been a discussion.

After looking at thie photo I took in the show room it's obviously higher than the 32cm height from washbasin to bottom of cabinet they originally fitted it. It is now 46cm from washbasin to bottom of cabinet which seems about right when looking at depth of washbasin and bottom of cabinet as per photo.

An artificial plant, height around 40cm, will cost us probably maximum 7.000 HUF and cover the drilled hole. There would still be plenty of room around the washbasin surface to place things. It would avoid all the palaver of getting the electrician to remove the cabinet, then get the builders in to replace the tile and grout, then re-fit the cabinet.

Old Apr 23rd 2024, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very Annoyed

My thoughts? ... [1] That is why I prefer to do things myself, and [2] if I don't do things myself, if at all possible, I make sure I am around to supervise any work being done. A few years ago I left a handyman to lay vinyl floor tiles, and I returned to find that several had been installed upside down - so those few are matt, when the (proper) top surface has a satin sheen.

Would I have the wall tile replaced? You're d*mn right I would!
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My thoughts? ... [1] That is why I prefer to do things myself, and [2] if I don't do things myself, if at all possible, I make sure I am around to supervise any work being done. A few years ago I left a handyman to lay vinyl floor tiles, and I returned to find that several had been installed upside down - so those few are matt, when the (proper) top surface has a satin sheen.

Would I have the wall tile replaced? You're d*mn right I would!
Pulaski - Would I have the wall tile replaced? You're damn right I would!
That's my current thinking. The plumbers fitting the shower pole and shower head asked us where we'd like it and they got it spot on so for the other guy ...... he's cocked up big time! The one thing I don't want is family or visitors commenting on the hole which has been filled in. Not a perfect match and still noticeable. Our plumbers will be fitting a glass partition once he's collected it so now is a good time to put our foot in the door to ask for the tile to be replaced first.
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Arkwright is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know where it is or how it looks but could you repurpose the hole for a soap holder/dispenser or something?

I can see this one tile ending up as an expensive bathroom refit unless you kept some tiles for repairs.

Upload a photo of it, it'd be easier to suggest something than looking at the shop display.
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Arkwright
I don't know where it is or how it looks but could you repurpose the hole for a soap holder/dispenser or something?

I can see this one tile ending up as an expensive bathroom refit unless you kept some tiles for repairs.

Upload a photo of it, it'd be easier to suggest something than looking at the shop display.
All that needs to be done is for the 60 x 20 tile to be removed and replaced with a new one. As explained 8cm is behind the washing machine/dryer cupboard which has no backing so can be reached if dryer is taken out. Plus the mirror cabinet removed then re-fitted after new tile added.

Bottom line it's a bl&&dy stupid mistake by the electrician. There's no way with original height I'd be able to brush my teeth over the washbasin ... it'd dribble all down onto the washbasin cabinet then floor!
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Take care if getting a tile replaced. It is very difficult to get the new tile to exactly match the old in respect of the flat plane of the wall, especially with large tiles. Even more difficult if there is a very thin grout line. Unless the hole is in your face then I would be tempted to grout the hole with colour matched grout.

I have found that unless things are written on the wall the trades people nod yes - yes and then do what they have always done or worse what comes easiest with their brain in neutral. Builders are the worst. They look at the plans, mark out the ground, stuff the plans in the back of their van (never to be seen again) and then build the way they have for the last 20 years.

You have to watch them all every step of the way
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Take care if getting a tile replaced. It is very difficult to get the new tile to exactly match the old in respect of the flat plane of the wall, especially with large tiles. Even more difficult if there is a very thin grout line. ....
Agreed, with the furthur complication that tile adhesive is often extremely difficult to remove, so there is a good chance that removing the tile will pull away chunks of the underlying plaster, or if the wall is plasterboard, that you will pull the surface off the plasterboard, or even pull a hole in it. When I renovated my kitchen in London I took the "easy" option of removing one kitchen wall (surface) entirely, plasterboard with tiles attached. Then starting afresh with new plasterboard.

I'd still replace the tile though, but be prepared for several adjustments, with more, or less adhesive to get it level with the other tiles. It would also need to be a modern, perfectly square and consistent tile (some "modern" tiles have machined edges for perfect size and geometry) to be sure it will fit where the old one was removed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 23rd 2024 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2024, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, with the furthur complication that tile adhesive is often extremely difficult to remove, so there is a good chance that removing the tile will pull away chunks of the underlying plaster, or if the wall is plasterboard, that you will pull the surface off the plasterboard, or even pull a hole in it. When I renovated my kitchen in London I took the "easy" option of removing one kitchen wall (surface) entirely, plasterboard with tiles attached. Then starting afresh with new plasterboard.

I'd still replace the tile though, but be prepared for several adjustments, with more, or less adhesive to get it level with the other tiles. It would also need to be a modern, perfectly square and consistent tile (some "modern" tiles have machined edges for perfect size and geometry) to be sure it will fit where the old one was removed.
The tiles are new and only put on about three weeks ago. I never thought about the risk of a hole in the wall or plasterboard. This makes it more of a very stupid thing to do to fit the mirror cabinet so low without asking the owners of the house how high they wanted it! In short I'd say he's been an absolute prat!

I sent a message yesterday to the main guy and he said they will replace the tile. It doesn't bode well for the prat who did this because it was his brother and his mate who did the tiling! We are waiting for the main guy to pick up a glass partition and this was a good opportunity to sort this out before it's fitted.

Just when I thought we're getting close to the finishing line with 3 of 5 home improvement projects completed, the 4th (bathroom) 99% completed and the 5th (kitchen) 10% completed, this stupid mistake has happened.

Lastly, we'd been trying to get the builders of our new terrace/verandah here to rectify a few things and finally they responded two months ago. They visited to look at everything and they seemed to recognise what needs doing but as we already had a team (total of 5 guys) on site doing those five home improvement projects we didn't want more workmen on site so postponed any rectification works until after the last one is completed.

Looks like as for last year when I damaged the nerves in my upper left arm this summer will be another washout whereby due to rectification works for the terrace/verandah we'd be restricted in going away for a break or holiday.

Old Apr 24th 2024, 3:41 am
Just Joined

maxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

mate get them to rectify the problems!
Old Apr 24th 2024, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I tiled my bathroom a couple of years ago with 200 by 300mm tiles. I agree that they are more tricky to get flat than the old 4" square tiles everyone had years ago. What I did was use a tiling trowel with deeper notches, place the tile lightly on the wall then use the spirit level to push it in flush with the other tiles.

I quite like the look of that bathroom cabinet but I'm assuming it is some kind of veneered MDF or chipboard? I try to avoid such materials as much as possible, although my kitchen cabinets are that sort. I think these days solid wood cabinets would be prohibitively expensive. It is the one thing I have yet to replace in my bathroom as I've not found anything I like.The current cabinet is steel with a few rust patches. Pine would be ideal as my place has a lot of pine but I know that is out of fashion these days.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Plumbers came here yesterday to fit the glass partition. We also had a chat about replacing the tile as as per above there's the risk the plasterboard could get damaged which they also explained about. After a long rant from me on why they didn't ask us what height we wanted it and reminding them we paid for the mirror cabinet, materials and labour it should be our decision not theirs to make we decided we will find a solution to cover that drilled hole! It was actually the two plumbers and electrician who decided on the height. One of them said if it was too high my wife wouldn't be able to reach the top shelf but hey at the lower height neither of us would be able to put our head over the washbasin and splash water on our faces. They seemed to have not thought my wife could use the lower shelf and myself the higher one! Anyway, our old kitchen top shelves for wall cabinets were all too high so my wife used a small step to reach anything. Problem solved. We do need to put a small stool in the bathroom so that can be used as a step to reach top shelf.
Rant over ........ to be honest both of us are getting fed up with others making decisions without asking us what we thought ........it's not only builders, plumbers and electricians ....... we've put our foot down now!
Old Apr 25th 2024, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I tiled my bathroom a couple of years ago with 200 by 300mm tiles. I agree that they are more tricky to get flat than the old 4" square tiles everyone had years ago. What I did was use a tiling trowel with deeper notches, place the tile lightly on the wall then use the spirit level to push it in flush with the other tiles.

I quite like the look of that bathroom cabinet but I'm assuming it is some kind of veneered MDF or chipboard? I try to avoid such materials as much as possible, although my kitchen cabinets are that sort. I think these days solid wood cabinets would be prohibitively expensive. It is the one thing I have yet to replace in my bathroom as I've not found anything I like.The current cabinet is steel with a few rust patches. Pine would be ideal as my place has a lot of pine but I know that is out of fashion these days.
It's chipboard. We are aware this choice is not for everyone. For our new kitchen we were asked if we wanted bespoke base and wall units. We had a metalbathroom cabinet at our old house in the UK and yes, that had a few bits of rust and discoloured coating.

When the guys originally fitted the mirror cabinet at the lower height the light at the top was right in my eyes but now it's been moved higher it's more bearable. It is very bright. The switch for the light at the top should be on the middle lower shelf inside with a two pin socket next to it. We all agreed it wasn't practical being inside especially if plugging into a hairdryer with the cable being above the wash basin and stopping the door being closed. Instead the light switch and socket has been fixed to the washing machine/dryer cupboard. It's bigger than we expected but atleast it's solid!
Old Apr 25th 2024, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have been spoiled by all the nice wood in my place. The entrance door and windows are oak, the internal doors are pine with oak frames, the floors are mostly parquet or varnished pine and the hall is panelled in T&G pine. I did have to strip the internal doors as they were painted dark brown with multiple colours underneath.

My steel cabinet has the socket inside but it is only a small door to leave open and I only use it for my shaver (yes, I also don't like cordless tools). There is also a switch for the light inside but there is also a switch for it in the hall, in addition to the one there for the bathroom light. When I rewired the house I left that arrangement as it was, just renewed the wiring and switches.