Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Progress being made?

Progress being made?

Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:13 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Progress being made?

We once saw a villa we liked a lot, wanted a lot of modernising but superb location. It was being sold by 2 sisters from Madrid who had inherited it and they were asking 32 million pesetas. We offered 29 million but if necessary we were prepared to pay the full price. They got back to us and said they were putting it up to 35 million. I told them where to go in my best spanish.

I think I read that prices dropped 8% in the last quarter. I did see and ad' for a townhouse on a Marbella golf course when we were there in June. bargain at 595,000 so it said. our friend has been trying to sell an identical one for 420,000 for 4 years.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We once saw a villa we liked a lot, wanted a lot of modernising but superb location. It was being sold by 2 sisters from Madrid who had inherited it and they were asking 32 million pesetas. We offered 29 million but if necessary we were prepared to pay the full price. They got back to us and said they were putting it up to 35 million. I told them where to go in my best spanish.

I think I read that prices dropped 8% in the last quarter. I did see and ad' for a townhouse on a Marbella golf course when we were there in June. bargain at 595,000 so it said. our friend has been trying to sell an identical one for 420,000 for 4 years.
That's a rather common tactic. Advertise for a somewhat reasonable price, see which fish take the bait. When they do, get them all randy about it, and at the last minute, raise the price. Most people from the north just walk away at that point (as you did) but a few fools actually swallow the hook.

I don't think it's just about "hooking" somebody. It seems that most of the locals (around here anyway) want to believe their properties are worth double what experienced immobiliaria, or even an official appraiser will tell them, and they just can't stand to sell it for less than what they believe it's worth. Therefore, when somebody comes along that seems truly interested, raise the price!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:39 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

yes I think they have some sort of logic that tells them if someone really likes it then someone else may really like it and pay more
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
That's a rather common tactic. Advertise for a somewhat reasonable price, see which fish take the bait. When they do, get them all randy about it, and at the last minute, raise the price. Most people from the north just walk away at that point (as you did) but a few fools actually swallow the hook.

I don't think it's just about "hooking" somebody. It seems that most of the locals (around here anyway) want to believe their properties are worth double what experienced immobiliaria, or even an official appraiser will tell them, and they just can't stand to sell it for less than what they believe it's worth. Therefore, when somebody comes along that seems truly interested, raise the price!
We had a British seller try that one on when I requested a second viewing on his house. The price "mysteriously" increased by €10,000 overnight. I went ahead with the viewing just to waste his time but really, do they think people are that thick?
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a Spanish mentality that doesn't exist elsewhere in the world. My friend was manager of a bike shop and making a modest profit once all the expenses were paid. The owner decided he wanted more, closed the shop and put the potential rent up. My friend approached another owner a few doors away , opened a bike shop and is making a modest profit. The original owner has had his premises unlet for nearly four years now!! DUHHH!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:08 pm
Banned

Yes, like the chiringuitos who put up prices cos takings are down One chiringuito close to us had sun loungers at €10 euro for 2. They were mainly always empty. I asked him why he did not rent them for half a day at €5. He said I'll never earn anything in that way
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As normal I didn't expect you to believe the good news - but you always believe the bad reports and never quibble then! Tide's turned Jacky - Great news for those Spanish who have suffered!
Great news indeed Stevie!
Unfortunately, negativity breeds recessions and thus slows recovery.
Look at this forum, people say "I´m thinking of moving..." NO...DON´T...or "I´m thinking of X Spain" .. NO DON´T ... or "I´m just thinking" NO, WHY, DON´T, ARE YOU CRAZY, HERE, SPAIN, NOOOOOO!!!!!
And then there is evidence of improvement...NO, IT´s FALSE, RUBBISH, DON´T DO IT. ... you get my gist
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
There seems to be a Spanish mentality that doesn't exist elsewhere in the world. My friend was manager of a bike shop and making a modest profit once all the expenses were paid. The owner decided he wanted more, closed the shop and put the potential rent up. My friend approached another owner a few doors away , opened a bike shop and is making a modest profit. The original owner has had his premises unlet for nearly four years now!! DUHHH!
and yet on the Chocolate shop thread there is the case of the busy shop in Cheshire being put out of business by extortionate rent+rates. Plenty of stories in the UK (and no doubt in other countries too) of high rents forcing high street shops to close - it's actually a big debate now. So no, it's not a "Spanish mentality" more a symptom of greed that sadly you can find everywhere...
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
Great news indeed Stevie!
Unfortunately, negativity breeds recessions and thus slows recovery.
Look at this forum, people say "I´m thinking of moving..." NO...DON´T...or "I´m thinking of X Spain" .. NO DON´T ... or "I´m just thinking" NO, WHY, DON´T, ARE YOU CRAZY, HERE, SPAIN, NOOOOOO!!!!!
And then there is evidence of improvement...NO, IT´s FALSE, RUBBISH, DON´T DO IT. ... you get my gist
I shouldn't complain - if all goes well I'm taking over a business in Madrid for a fraction of what I would have to pay in the UK. The goods sell for a higher price there than in a UK equivalent, too. Of course there does need to be adequate research wherever you choose to invest - the business I'm hoping to buy would really struggle 6-8 months of the year on the Costa. But I've monitored the business in Madrid - and also its competitors, as I'm well aware an unscrupluous owner could have bribed pretend customers (although I'm confident it hasn't happened in this case as competitors elsewhere in the city are doing well).
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:00 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

and yet on the Chocolate shop thread there is the case of the busy shop in Cheshire being put out of business by extortionate rent+rates. Plenty of stories in the UK (and no doubt in other countries too) of high rents forcing high street shops to close - it's actually a big debate now. So no, it's not a "Spanish mentality" more a symptom of greed that sadly you can find everywhere...
I think the situation is more complex than just greed, though greed is certainly at it´s roots.
Unfortunately many landlords, though this might sound strange, simply don´t have money and can´t afford to lower prices.
Many landlords are mortgaged to the heavens, as the banks allowed them to be, and are suddenly in a position whereby all forms of credit have been cut, and their estates are worth only a fraction of the purchased values.
Furthermore, though the banks supported such businesses for their own means, they no longer can, the bubble has burst and the banks are hanging them out to dry!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:02 am
Account Closed

I shouldn't complain - if all goes well I'm taking over a business in Madrid for a fraction of what I would have to pay in the UK. The goods sell for a higher price there than in a UK equivalent, too. Of course there does need to be adequate research wherever you choose to invest - the business I'm hoping to buy would really struggle 6-8 months of the year on the Costa. But I've monitored the business in Madrid - and also its competitors, as I'm well aware an unscrupluous owner could have bribed pretend customers (although I'm confident it hasn't happened in this case as competitors elsewhere in the city are doing well).
Sounds like a winner
I wish you all the very best of luck and good fortune. Good on you
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Banned

Well if anyone has researched extensively it will be you Stevie. Although we rarely agree I wish you well and will keep my fingers crossed for you
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with this I really hope that all goes well for you.

Rosemary
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:59 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed many times that when older Spanish people put their houses up for sale, which isn't often, they pick a high price and stick with it for years. They will not budge even when the identical house next door sells for half what they are asking.

In my short little street alone, there are three such properties for sale. the original owners have died over the years and the absent inheritors have done nothing to encourage a sale, the houses are still way over-priced.

In one case the various inheritors are at war with each other, in the other two cases the children visit regularly to look after the premises and enjoy a holiday away from the Spanish cities where they live, Madrid and Santander. They're here at the moment for their holidays with their children, and judging from the luxury cars in the driveway they are probably not bothered about an early sale.

I know the houses are for sale, but there are no Se Vende signs outside.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes for the success of your new venture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.