Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scotland to Brisbane!?

Scotland to Brisbane!?

Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Will.I.Was is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland to Brisbane!?

A great job offer means me and the family (wife and baby < 1year old) have the opportunity to live and work in Brisbane.

Its a huge decision for us and I was wondering if anyone can reassure us that its a good move.

The company are paying a good salary and all moving costs with the option of a 3-4 month trial.

I will continue to read the posts on here.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to Brisbane!?

Originally Posted by Will.I.Was
A great job offer means me and the family (wife and baby < 1year old) have the opportunity to live and work in Brisbane.

Its a huge decision for us and I was wondering if anyone can reassure us that its a good move.

The company are paying a good salary and all moving costs with the option of a 3-4 month trial.

I will continue to read the posts on here.

Many thanks!
I went in Feb 2011 all expenses paid for a salary of 150k (plus I got 40% of my salary tax free with 457 benefits). After 6 months we still decided my wife needed to work.

All depends what you consider a good move. For us it was only ever about trying something for a few years, saving money, having a pool, seeing Australia then moving on. Some people are happy to move and just get by.

My advice would be that with a young child and a wife not at work, if you want to have a nice lifestyle, house, car etc etc you'll need to be earning 120k+.

Less than that I wouldn't.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Package is about 100k plus a car.

My wife is planning to find work, she's a registered nurse with 6 years experience in the uk.

My biggest concern is standard of living due to high living costs especially property rental prices!

Jesus this is not an easy decision!

I think I'm going on a 457 so do I get tax savings also?
Old Jun 29th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is planning to find work, she's a registered nurse with 6 years experience in the uk.

My biggest concern is standard of living due to high living costs especially property rental prices!

Nope tax benefits were withdrawn October last year.

All depends where you want to live and in want kind of house.

My rent was $4k a month, that was in a good suburb of Brisbane for a nice 4 bed house with pool. I searched constantly but could never find anything I would live in for less than 750 a week.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 7:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife is planning to work, get her to start on the registration process asap. AHPRA aren't the quickest body to deal with! Lots of threads in the nursing forum which should help
Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:16 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where you want to live, you can certainly rent a very livable house for less than $4000/month! That level of rent is paid in the "classy name" suburbs of Ascot, Hendra, Clayfield, etc. - a good 3 bed house in a good (but not 'classy') suburb can be rented for half that. Bingobob is obviously a very fussy man! Don't bother with a pool unless you both like swimming every day in summer, as they are a pain to look after and you will (hopefully) soon get to know neighbours who do have one!
With your wife's work, bear in mind that childcare is expensive - after paying tax and childcare she might be better off not working!

$100k + car should see you pretty comfortable. Any idea which suburb the job will be based in, or is it in the CBD? Will you need the car as part of your work during the day? - because if you don't I would strongly advise you against driving into the city at peak hour, use the public transport and look for a house within easy reach of a railway station or busway. The dedicated busways running north and south from the city, and the trains, are pretty efficient: even so I would recommend organising early start working hours if I were you as the station car parks usually fill up by around 7:30am. And if you drive to work make sure that car parking is part of the package, as CBD parking fees are about the highest in the country!

Brisbane is a great place to live - come and give us a go! Don't be put off by the fact that currently it's 13 degrees and raining!

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jun 30th 2013 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:13 am
Just Joined

The head office is based in Loganholme so not the CBD.
We were looing for houses in Cleveland and Victoria Point.

We have too many ties in the UK, so are probably going to turn this down

We have a horse, two mortgages (we rent out our property), two cars, two cats. A new baby so we have the family and friends and grandparents in the UK.

The logistics of getting there is overwhelming. I think I need some stability in my life at the moment.

I may be making the biggest mistake of my life but after some serious soul searching I don't believe this is a move for us as a family.

If I could snap my fingers and be there and settled I prob would do it!

Nightmare ive not slept for weeks!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Bayside area is a nice place to live, ( in my opinion of course) slightly cooler than most places in summer and slightly warmer than most places in winter When we were renting 3 years ago (Cleveland) we were paying circa $300 for a 3 bed town house with pool until we got ourselves sorted Driving from Cleveland to Loganholme would take in the region of 30 mins i'd say so not that bad. Good luck with your decision
Old Jul 1st 2013, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The head office is based in Loganholme so not the CBD.
We were looing for houses in Cleveland and Victoria Point.

We have too many ties in the UK, so are probably going to turn this down

We have a horse, two mortgages (we rent out our property), two cars, two cats. A new baby so we have the family and friends and grandparents in the UK.

The logistics of getting there is overwhelming. I think I need some stability in my life at the moment.

I may be making the biggest mistake of my life but after some serious soul searching I don't believe this is a move for us as a family.

If I could snap my fingers and be there and settled I prob would do it!

Nightmare ive not slept for weeks!
If you are all too attached to your horse and cats and planning on bringing them over (just saying) AND starting a new life with a new baby and jobs and all, it will be a huge hard ask!!! It may also stress you relationship.

On the other hand, Oz is great for me and us, and I love living here.

Do your research as you are doing and then decide.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Finnsaway is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the process of moving back to the uk after 6 years here. Nothing can replace family - especially with children the support of even bring able to pick up a phone during the day and speak to someone you love is irreplaceable and in oz you have to wait till 7pm her to ring uk:/
I have a nearly toddler and although i have friends feel so lonely and homesick and my kids are missing cuddles from grandparents aunties cousins etc:/
$100k is not a lot to live on here - after paying the mortgage on a low priced house plus bills plus food plus medication (which is very very expensive!) we don't have anything at the end of the month. We haven't got a luxury shopping budget or anything - just basics, nappies etc! We haven't eaten fresh salmon etc in years as we can't afford it! My hubby earns 90k but tbh we were better off in the uk on 30k!

If you are unsure and have a settled life and people you love in the uk I would say stay where you are
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

Hi

Here is my experience of this move.

Left the oil industry in Aberdeen for Coal Seam Gas in Brisbane.
My salary is over 170K AUD plus bonus.
I have been here over one year.
I pay 4000 in rent and car payment etc per month.

Ok

The house I'm in is good but not homely, it costs 800 per week. People who say you can find a house for 400 per week...bollox you must have lived on the dole in the UK if you think a 400 aud per week house is acceptable, remember the rent here is per fortnight so its 2 and a bit payments per month(sneaky buggers!). I have yet to see a homely pad many are no more than sheds (Queenslanders). 99% are tiled from floor to ceiling and the build quality is non existent, the construction is laughable, pink bathroom suites are common for god sake, many of the area I drive through to get to work have tea towels and sheets etc as curtains.

I have one small child and the wife doesnt work as we have another on the way. We are out of money each month.

People are going to say OMG anybody can live on 170k I need to get a grip etc etc.

However I am used to having disposable income, I dont feel bad about that, in the UK I was a consumer...here thats not on, getting by is the name of the game, talk about disposable income and people look at you like your talking about time travel.

The food is mind blowingy expensive 10GBP for 2 free range chicken breasts, 10GBP for a sandwich in town etc.

Thai food here is great, Indian food is shocking, most chicken dishes are weird as the chicken is weird.

The weather...hmm tricky yes its sunny alt of the time...but remember your from Europe so you cant handle summer from 11.30 to 3 unless your in a kevlar suit. Winter is nice but its cold at night, and if you have to put the heating on...get ready for the monumental utility bill...easily 400AUD per month for us after the recent 25% increase

Unless you are giving them money Australians are incredibly rude if you dont know them, and no thats not just to me.

Crime is constant thing...I watched a street fight in broad daylight at a set of traffic lights with a Policeman next to me...I asked well are you going to lift them? He just laughed and walked off with the comment na they dont need me to get involved.

Fighting is acceptable here, practically encouraged...there was uproar when punching was made illegal in rugby recently

The beaches are world class, Moreton Island's beach, wow best Ive seen anywhere, and Ive seen a few

Kids activities..amazing...but as usual expensive...200aud for 2 months of classes for a 1 year old per activity

Zoos theme parks etc brilliant...no lines, cheap with season tickets

Petrol dirt cheap

Australians you meet through work etc can be some of the nicest people you will come accross.

A little example of the financial differences.

My PC died a few weeks ago, in the UK I'd be like cool time to buy some shiny new parts and rebuild it...here its in a cupboad waiting for the annual bonus to come along.

That said I like it here..but its not all that great.

I cant see me staying forever, I couldnt make my son wear the horrendous school uniforms or grow up with 1980's technology, VCR's are still common, if we do go he wont thank me later in life as the girls here are generally fit form all the running and stuff that goes on here. Personally I think its over the top...you see them all dressed in lycra just to walk to the shops and back, and its like the bloody tour de france half the time...all the silly old sods again head to foot in cycling racing gear for no real reason other than to look the part.

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:14 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Comments in red below, from someone who's been here 30 years and also works in Brisbane in CSG and other oil and gas areas. Comparable salary, no kids living with me. Also no mortgage or rent

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
Hi

Here is my experience of this move.

Left the oil industry in Aberdeen for Coal Seam Gas in Brisbane.
My salary is over 170K AUD plus bonus.
I have been here over one year.
I pay 4000 in rent and car payment etc per month.

Ok

The house I'm in is good but not homely, it costs 800 per week. People who say you can find a house for 400 per week...bollox you must have lived on the dole in the UK if you think a 400 aud per week house is acceptable, remember the rent here is per fortnight so its 2 and a bit payments per month(sneaky buggers!).

No idea what I could rent my house for, but I imagine $500/week would be about right. For that you would get a 3 bed, 2 bath, modern kitchen, air conditioned house in a quiet street near to transport, schools and shops about 10km north of the CBD - sorry, it's not for rent!
I have yet to see a homely pad many are no more than sheds (Queenslanders). 99% are tiled from floor to ceiling and the build quality is non existent, the construction is laughable, pink bathroom suites are common for god sake, I can't remember the last time I saw a pink bathroom suite!many of the area I drive through to get to work have tea towels and sheets etc as curtains I'd be interested to know which areas you drive through to get to work.

I have one small child and the wife doesnt work as we have another on the way. We are out of money each month. 170k + bonus - let's say 180k gross - should be around 120k after tax & medicare, or $10,000 - $6000/m after rent. If you spend all that on food, clothing, utilities, kid's activities, etc then you are definitely living in the fast lane.

People are going to say OMG anybody can live on 170k I need to get a grip etc etc. Yes, I think I would say that! However I am used to having disposable income, I dont feel bad about that, in the UK I was a consumer...here thats not on, getting by is the name of the game, talk about disposable income and people look at you like your talking about time travel.

The food is mind blowingy expensive 10GBP for 2 free range chicken breasts, 10GBP for a sandwich in town etc. Where on earth are you shopping? I can get a decent sandwich in town for $5-$6, not $16.50!
Thai food here is great, Indian food is shocking Agree, although there are a few good Indian restaurants, most chicken dishes are weird as the chicken is weird.

The weather...hmm tricky yes its sunny alt of the time...but remember your from Europe so you cant handle summer from 11.30 to 3 unless your in a kevlar suit. Winter is nice but its cold at night, and if you have to put the heating on...get ready for the monumental utility bill...easily 400AUD per month for us after the recent 25% increase

Unless you are giving them money Australians are incredibly rude if you dont know them, and no thats not just to me.

Crime is constant thing...I watched a street fight in broad daylight at a set of traffic lights with a Policeman next to me...I asked well are you going to lift them? He just laughed and walked off with the comment na they dont need me to get involved.

Fighting is acceptable here No it isn't, practically encouraged...there was uproar when punching was made illegal in rugby recently

The beaches are world class, Moreton Island's beach, wow best Ive seen anywhere, and Ive seen a few

Kids activities..amazing...but as usual expensive...200aud for 2 months of classes for a 1 year old per activity At that age they need almost 1 to 1 attention, so the cost seems quite reasonable to me

Zoos theme parks etc brilliant...no lines, cheap with season tickets

Petrol dirt cheap

Australians you meet through work etc can be some of the nicest people you will come accross.

A little example of the financial differences.

My PC died a few weeks ago, in the UK I'd be like cool time to buy some shiny new parts and rebuild it...here its in a cupboad waiting for the annual bonus to come along. Again, you can get a new PC for a few hundred dollars - if you don't have that available on your salary then your financial management needs a serious looking at. I have just had $20,000 worth of work done on the house, plus a 6 week trip to Europe this year flying first class, and all out of saved income. That said I like it here..but its not all that great.

I cant see me staying forever, I couldnt make my son wear the horrendous school uniforms or grow up with 1980's technology, VCR's are still common No they aren't, I don't know anyone who still uses one, if we do go he wont thank me later in life as the girls here are generally fit form all the running and stuff that goes on here. Personally I think its over the top...you see them all dressed in lycra just to walk to the shops and back, and its like the bloody tour de france half the time...all the silly old sods again head to foot in cycling racing gear for no real reason other than to look the part. Here I agree

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jul 3rd 2013 at 2:17 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

KJ Firstly I dont want an argument these are just my real experiences of life here...look on any realestate web site for rentals in Brisbane at $400 these days, plenty pink bathrooms on show! theres no way Id live in one.

But lets just go through the 170k per year = 9000 per month after tax

750 per week rent = 3250 month (4 Bed with pool) leaves 5750
You could say do I need a pool and a decent house...YES I do, I want the Aus experience or why bother coming? I had a 4 bed farm house with 2 acres of ground and a 5 car garage for my motorsport hobby in the UK, so Im used to having a quality home, something you have to spend over the million mark to get here.

1200 per month car payment = 3500ish left

1200+Per month food (Coles) = 2300 left

200 Per month Foxel(Sky) + Intenet =2100 left

200 Per month kids activites =1900 left

150 Per month buisness lunches= 1750

250 Family Health insurance= 1500

200 Clothes =1300

400 Per month Utilites= 900 Left

600 Per month days out/entertainment =300

300 Holiday fund = All gone!!!!

Need I go on?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:07 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

Hey Bonnie, that's how you spend your income, that's your decision, no problems. I was just trying to point out that it doesn't have to be that expensive to live here, and a good quality of life can be achieved on much less.

17th century farmhouses are few and far between here, but if you want a good house with pool on 2 acres you can find one for far less than $1M - unfortunately you have to go out to Forestdale/Hillcrest to find it! The $1M+ homes are in Hamilton/Ascot where a block of 1/4 acre is considered large.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

I appreciate what your saying...however I dont feel you are painting a true picture of what to expect if you move here from the UK.
My UK house (Not 17th Century...19th) was sold for 375k GBP in late 2012, a comparable house here with the same commute distance (45 mins west) would put me in Pullenvale where you are talking 1m plus.
I just want people to understand that many of the folk who bang on about Australia being great maybe moved here when the exchange rate 2.5 to the pound and the cost living was lower, so the incrimental increase hasnt been so noticable.

I would say take your UK earnings in pounds, times the numbers by 2.5 to 3 to give what you need in AUD.

Let me ask this if you took the sunshine away...what is left?

If I had a time machine would I still come?...yes...if you have the itch to come it will always bother you if you dont...just dont expect the same standard of living material wise you had in the UK if your going to do the same work wise here. Thats just the way it is, you loose here and there but gain in other areas.

A bumper sticker I saw sums it up

"Australia either love it or piss off"

And you have to do just that, come wth your eyes open to the financial reality these days thats all I am trying to get accross.

Now Im off to strole back to my 20 year old 15k AUD car which in the UK would cost 7k but I'll do it in the warm evening sun...swings and round abouts folks.

Last edited by Bonnie Scotland; Jul 3rd 2013 at 6:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.