Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:42 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by rukiddingme
In today's Independent.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...internalSearch

I'll be writing to the committee who's reviewing this!
Wouldn't it be nice if this actually resulted in a change of approach ie common sense

However I won't hold my breath
Old Nov 18th 2012, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies if this a redundant question...
I'm from Scotland, living in California with American wife.
We want to move back.
Can afford the financial requirements fortunately, however it's been alluded to that there's another process of moving to different EU country first then moving from there to the UK.
Any information on that and if so what is the benefit?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hotscot
We want to move back.
Can afford the financial requirements fortunately, however it's been alluded to that there's another process of moving to different EU country first then moving from there to the UK.
That's an option for those who do NOT meet the financial requirements.
So, welcome home!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

rukiddingme is an unknown quantity at this point

Parliamentary inquiry into new family migration rules

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the family migration inquiry which will be conducted by a cross-party Committee of MPs and peers, coordinated by the APPG on Migration, and chaired by shadow Equalities Minister Kate Green MP.

This inquiry will explore the impacts of new rules on family migration, specifically changes which make it more difficult to sponsor spouses and partners, or elderly dependents, to come to the UK from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The inquiry will collect written evidence during a ten week period beginning on 20 November 2012. You can find more details, including the terms of the inquiry and the questions the Committee is particularly seeking to explore, by visiting http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/family-enquiry.

Could you please re-send your e-mail detailing your experience of the Government’s policy via the website, any time from tomorrow.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

The Wiki page http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK is now updated with the basics. IT still needs a lot of work to cover retirees, self-employed etc...
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
The Wiki page http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK is now updated with the basics. IT still needs a lot of work to cover retirees, self-employed etc...
Great work mate
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

We want to move back.
Hi Hotscot, you can Google 'Surinder Singh route to family reunification' for info on the web. Or on this part of BE, do a dedicated search for 'Surinder Singh'. (This long thread you're has many posts on S.Singh, but they're scattered.) Or you could start a new thread on the topic and ask your questions.

If you think you meet the new financial requirements, that would be much the easiest way to return to the UK. For those couples or families who CAN'T meet these requirements, the advantage of the Singh route is that the permit & residence card are free (but can take time to come through) and there is no financial amount specified (only that the UK citizen does work/earn in the EU country). The disadvantages are making two country moves instead of one and actually finding work in the EU country, which may not be easy.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hi Hotscot, you can Google 'Surinder Singh route to family reunification' for info on the web. Or on this part of BE, do a dedicated search for 'Surinder Singh'. (This long thread you're has many posts on S.Singh, but they're scattered.) Or you could start a new thread on the topic and ask your questions.

If you think you meet the new financial requirements, that would be much the easiest way to return to the UK. For those couples or families who CAN'T meet these requirements, the advantage of the Singh route is that the permit & residence card are free (but can take time to come through) and there is no financial amount specified (only that the UK citizen does work/earn in the EU country). The disadvantages are making two country moves instead of one and actually finding work in the EU country, which may not be easy.
Thanks for the feedback. We can afford it ok so I guess that's the most straightforward. Then I believe it will be 2 x 2.5 year visas before my wife can get citizenship.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. We can afford it ok so I guess that's the most straightforward. Then I believe it will be 2 x 2.5 year visas before my wife can get citizenship.
Yes, takes 5 years to become a citizen. Not looking forward to having to do the paperwork for the first 2.5 years (over 30 pages ). Hoping the 2nd app isn't as daunting. As USC hubby is retired, and I will probably be too by then, we will use the sale of our house and our small business to cover the funds for the application. Hubby has social security and some investment income, but from what I understand his income does not count until after the first 2.5 years.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

To be accurate, it would be 2x2½ visas before your wife can get Indefinite Leave to Remain (aka permanent residency). Once ILR is obtained, then naturalization can be applied for - presuming no minimum period of ILR is applied to spouses of British citizens when applying for citizenship in the future, as is currently the case.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
To be accurate, it would be 2x2½ visas before your wife can get Indefinite Leave to Remain (aka permanent residency). Once ILR is obtained, then naturalization can be applied for - presuming no minimum period of ILR is applied to spouses of British citizens when applying for citizenship in the future, as is currently the case.
Thanks for that distinction, I'll keep it in mind.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

rukiddingme is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, this is good, finally a voice of reason, in The Telegraph of all places....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mot...ies-apart.html
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that's the best article so far. Momentum is building...
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there is hope!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rukiddingme
Okay, this is good, finally a voice of reason, in The Telegraph of all places....
A new inquiry by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Migration
Perhaps they should just look at the submissions they asked for prior to going ahead with what they wanted to do anyway.

Only this time read them

Morons and money wasters, the lot of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.