Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:32 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Yawn..... I seriously cannot be bothered arguing with folk that insist that any criticism or debate on issues affecting South Africans has to boil down to bitter expats. The first world teaches one to challenge, pressure, argue, group together to pursue the purge of injustices and force correction of what is blatantly unacceptable. It makes people accountable, encourages change which is necessary for the betterment of most in a healthy society. It happens here all the time by first world resident citizens and expats. They're not bitter expats, they are concerned citizens that want their loved ones and country striving towards positives goals. Some ostriches should try it sometimes. It is healthy. It's called thinking outside the bars and 10 ft walls.

And just to back up what you have said, here is an excellent read on the BBC regarding gun crime in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7047649.stm

I think it is also interesting in respect of the stats shown here when many members on this forum (the SA section) will say that crime in the UK is as bad as SA.

Ultimately, the UK problem is being discussed and you can read in the article that there are several action groups doing something.

Interesting what is mentioned the finding of various studies to the “gun culture”
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:57 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

I just remembered why i tried to stay away from this site .Its always the same ole, same ol but It grates me no end reading your partisan views.
Our recent exchanges are virtually carbon copies of our exchanges a year ago.

In my opinion .We are experiencing unusually high levels of crime . fact. Comparing it to any other country is senseless, be it the UK or Colombia .No two coutries are the same.
Everyone in S.A is doing their bit to bring it to an end.

Campbells
Theres a whole range of anti crime initiatives on the go.By the government, big business and private individuals. e.g

Business against crime - launched the National anti corruption Forum.

Primedia launched the anti crime campaign one of the largest of its kind in the world .Based on crime stoppers international it has the full backing of the minister of safety and security.

The government established the Anti Crime Leadership Forum consisting of the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security cluster.

Review the Gauteng MEC for Community safetys media statement.-www.polity.org.za/attachment.php?aa_id=7018

Days ago Cabinet announced the criminal justice system is to get a major overhaul to improve conviction rates and remove "logjams" in the system.
- and others.

Now, I know you'll find a way to make light of these, thats your way. Act like it doesnt mean a thing but one thing you cant say is that nothing is being done to eleviate the situation.

Pablo, thats what I mean when I say that were here everyday, trying to make a difference ....while youre.....well over there debating the situation in the 'first world' .
There you go Tegwyn - challenge, pressure, argue the hell out of the situation from there, we'll do it from here .I guess ,we're all working towards a common goal. right ?

Pablo ,dont worry I'm still getting to the "racist jibe" stay tuned.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Juggernaut, and apart from the Ant-crime leadership forum, , which is a discussion forum,which will hold committee meetings, produce reports, which will be forwarded to another committee for discussion...
All the other initiatives are Business based, citizens having to do what the government are unable to do, try and address the problem.

I am sure that you can immediately think of 5 things the Government could do , today, that would start showing that they are serious about Crime and corruption.
Start with Selebi, fire him,
Take action today, we cant do it, only they can.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Its always the same ole, same ole
Sadly one can say the same about post-colonial Africa. Take one functioning country and wreck it.

Our recent exchanges are virtually carbon copies of our exchanges a year ago.
...Because the problems are the same, and the excuses put forward by the government are also the same.

In my opinion .We are experiencing unusually high levels of crime . fact. Comparing it to any other country is senseless
I assume you mean compare *with*. Compare with = compare & contrast; compare to = liken to.
What is senseless about comparisons? The fact that "no two countries are the same" does not mean that comparisions cannot usefully be made. No, this is just another cop out. Part of the African-solutions-for-African-problems drivel. (Which, of course, is a sub-racist analysis)

Everyone in S.A is doing their bit to bring it to an end.
Self evidently untrue.

Pablo, thats what I mean when I say that were here everyday, trying to make a difference
This is HomeComing Revolution rhetoric. 'Why not be part of the solution rather than part of the problem' and other blah.

Yes, well that lies behind most of what you say, so I imagine it will surface before long.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:26 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Pablo, thats what I mean when I say that were here everyday, trying to make a difference ....while youre.....well over there debating the situation in the 'first world' .
So did the hundreds of thousands of Zimbabweans of all races. Stayed behind to make a 'difference'.

Great difference you're all making. The country is spiralling out of control, and instead of holding demonstrations on the scale of the apartheid years, everyone sits and shouts at the expats for daring to bring the utter chaos that is the NSA into focus.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:14 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IS THERE - Anyone moving out to South Africa

I just remembered why i tried to stay away from this site . Its always the same ole, same ol but It grates me no end .
Yes, I know, same old, crime, rape, murder, corruption – really sad.

In my opinion .We are experiencing unusually high levels of crime . fact. Comparing it to any other country is senseless, be it the UK or Colombia .No two coutries are the same. Everyone in S.A is doing their bit to bring it to an end..
The unusually high levels of crime you refer to are just unacceptable. Perhaps you mean to say that everyone in SA are taking what precautions they are allowed to ( by that I refer to the gating of streets, for example) by the ANC whilst the ANC and all the jokers do nothing except make statement like “ if you don’t like the crime here then leave”.

Obviously, the 22 MILLION tourists that did not go to South Africa feel like the country has unacceptable levels of crime. No matter how much your ANC tries to hide and cover up the death and slaughter in SA you cannot clamp down the truth.

Campbells
Theres a whole range of anti crime initiatives on the go.By the government, big business and private individuals. e.g Business against crime - launched the National anti corruption Forum.

Primedia launched the anti crime campaign one of the largest of its kind in the world .Based on crime stoppers international it has the full backing of the minister of safety and security.

The government established the Anti Crime Leadership Forum consisting of the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security cluster.

Review the Gauteng MEC for Community safetys media statement.-www.polity.org.za/attachment.php?aa_id=7018

Days ago Cabinet announced the criminal justice system is to get a major overhaul to improve conviction rates and remove "logjams" in the system.
- and others.
I did business with the Business Against Crime org ( consumer council) and found them to be useless, It usually took six months to get a meeting with them and another six months to get them to make a decision. Coming from a security background in the UK there is one thing that is paramount – REACTION SPEED.

You can name all the ministers that have made statements and all the fancy prepared documents ( initiatives is the buzz term) but they all mean squat until they get action. ACTION PLEASE, RESULTS PLEASE

If you compare poverty ( as some would say it is related to crime in SA) it s also a relatively simple matter to correct – stomp out corruption like the R 1 BILLION rand in the Land Bank and manage such things with an attitude that such individuals ( ANC or not) are criminals and prosecute them. Not hide them away because they previously belonged to the MK. THe terrorist arm of the ANC.

Now, I know you'll find a way to make light of these, thats your way. Act like it doesnt mean a thing but one thing you cant say is that nothing is being done to eleviate the situation.
Lot’s of things are being done mate. They are mostly the WRONG things . It requires a whole lot more than another taxpayer’s paid for lunch for a whole bunch of idiots to sit around and discus it all , make no decisions and then drive off with their personal bodyguards. RESULTS PLEASE

Pablo, thats what I mean when I say that were here everyday, trying to make a difference ....while youre.....well over there debating the situation in the 'first world' ..
Oh please, same old. You point the finger at those that leave but offer nothing for those that stay.

What does your South Africa offer ? You just don’t get it do you ?

There are droves of people leaving South Africa not because they want to but because they see the place as a sinking ship. It is certainly not due to lack of opportunities ( for example the WC 2010) but a complete miss-management and dictatorship style like your uncle Bob up north. The whole world is looking at Zimbo and seeing the similarities with your Mbeki .

There you go Tegwyn - challenge, pressure, argue the hell out of the situation from there, we'll do it from here .I guess ,we're all working towards a common goal. right ?
Yes, mate, just like the ANC during apartheid. All the comrades fought the struggle from outside South Africa.

I have no doubt, if you cannot make your point, the race card will AS USUAL be played. After all, 14 years of ANC rule and billions being poured into the country it still not enough to get South Africa on track.

2010 – tick tock……..