Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:38 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light
Default 4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

I can’t believe we have been here 4 months now. How time fly’s.
When we flew into Auckland we were so positive. Caught the bus from Auckland airport in the pouring rain and stayed at Backpackers just of Queen Street for 4 nights.
No fancy hotel for us.
Then spent the next few days looking for a camper van.
We had been there before so knew our way around. Bought one from the Backpackers Car Market on East St for $3.500.
Then drove from Auckland to Tauranga.
Stayed in a motel that my wife’s work paid for. Within three days of arriving here we had found somewhere to rent it even had a swimming pool.
We only pay $260 per week so not to bad and my wife can walk to work.
We only brought two suitcases with us just a few clothes but mainly reference books for my wife’s work
No furniture that all stayed in Bulgaria our escape route if we needed it.
Bought the furniture from the Warehouse and various other cheap places including the Sally Army
We still have the camper van and try to get away when we can (but its just failed the W.O.F. and it looks like being expensive)
My wife has settled into her job well and we both like it here.
But time for a reality check:
I can’t find work here. Please don’t try to tell me to knock on door or phone around etc. I have done all of this and tried the yellow pages and registered with three job agencies and I don’t want a Franchise
I even have a appointment with the settlement support people next week.
I don’t want to go back to the UK but its looking increasing likely that I have too
You can just about get by here on one wage.
But why just get by?
There are only the two of us here so why struggle and it’s no good for my
sanity being home all day,
Do I regret coming to NZ?
Not one bit
It’s just a shame I can’t stay (We both have Residency here)
We have decided that my wife will stay here whilst I go back to the UK and we will join up later in the year .We are not happy about this its just a practical way of doing things
I am not looking for any type of sympathy from anyone these are just our own personal experiences.
I am still positive and that job offer may come along before I have to book the flight but time is getting tight now.
I will not sink all our money into NZ and finish up skint & stuck.
I know what George put in his post before someone mentions it.
We did think about it
But I already have references from NZ employers
And to be honest didn’t fancy relocating to Dundeden for 8 months
This is just my little update after 4 Months here
I don’t see it as positive or negative it’s just how it is.

Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:22 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 MONTH UPDATE

really hope something turns up for you. Well done though for keeping a balanced and practical view on things as you say why struggle when you do not have too?

Good luck

Dewb
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you haven't got work yet. We thought we were going to be in the same position but luckily something turned up for my OH just last week. It looks like it could lead to regular work so thank god we are not facing him leaving me and the sprog here while he gets work in UK. Its a horrible situation to be in and I really, really hope something turns up for you. Actually OH's job came from a chat with a DVD repair man who passed his name on to a mate of his, so talk to anyone and everyone-you never know who can help Bevissa xx
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

just being nosey, what is it u do job wise ?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:33 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
really hope something turns up for you. Well done though for keeping a balanced and practical view on things as you say why struggle when you do not have too?

Good luck

Dewb
Just want to echo the wise words from Dewb and wish you luck which ever way your path takes you.
B x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:07 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
just being nosey, what is it u do job wise ?
Hi there
I am Waste Water Engineer
but have tried for all sorts of jobs
from stacking shelves at the warehouse to well i cant remember
I have applied all over NZ
close to giving up now
I have had two more "no thank you" e mails today
and i am running out of ideas now
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here over 6 months and my Oh has had no luck getting a job. He has applied for all types not just in his field of work. He is starting to get a bit down now and I really do not know what more he can do. He has set up a small photography business but is not making any money yet.

Phyl x
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Sorry to hear you haven't got work yet. We thought we were going to be in the same position but luckily something turned up for my OH just last week. It looks like it could lead to regular work so thank god we are not facing him leaving me and the sprog here while he gets work in UK. Its a horrible situation to be in and I really, really hope something turns up for you. Actually OH's job came from a chat with a DVD repair man who passed his name on to a mate of his, so talk to anyone and everyone-you never know who can help Bevissa xx
Hi there
Good to hear you are in NZ and have read all seems to be going ok for you in work and now having read this thread looks like your OH will have work too.

Am pleased for you both. OH and l have decided it's not for us in the current climate...we have friends out there and they have said it's expensive to live out there and if you're not on a good income it can be very tough. Sooo for a little while longer we shall be remaining here in the UK

Look forward to reading your updates

xxElainexx
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Hi bdclayton - so sorry to hear of your situation. It is a career change but could be worth a look - Have u tried the corrections department. They were advertising loads of vacancies, but not sure they are now. if u didn't want to get too into that area, perhaps a community work supervisor?? i appreciate that this is not everyones cup of tea.. Double that something turns up soon.

Cheers

HH
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:31 pm
Busy Again

Originally Posted by HHBoP
Hi bdclayton - so sorry to hear of your situation. It is a career change but could be worth a look - Have u tried the corrections department. They were advertising loads of vacancies, but not sure they are now. if u didn't want to get too into that area, perhaps a community work supervisor?? i appreciate that this is not everyones cup of tea.. Double that something turns up soon.

Cheers

HH
Hi there thanks for that
I have even been to the settlement support people here who suggested going to the career advisor which i did.
his suggestion of a career change was to train as a nurse ??
which takes 3 years
or house conveyancing which again takes 3 years ??
I have tried the correction dept in Hamilton and got no reply.
I have tried the Hospital for a job as a orderly and waiting for them to get back to me after the closing date
I have even tried for a job as a Kayak instructor
Oh and I once got short listed for a job as a Cemetery supervisor
i will keep trying and keep smiling
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

lol - bless u that u have - do they have any openings for stand-up comedians??? For once the 'don't give up the day job' need not apply (yet)!! Oddly enough there is an ex prisoner officer working for Hamilton corrections dept managing re the community work groups. Lots of areas have just taken on trainee probation officers. A friend who moved over before xmas started mon in tauranga. I will be shortly, though have been qualified in the uk for 10 yrs. U seem to have done alot but don't get disheartened, things can turn up when u least expect them and u always have ur sense of humour!! haven't been to nz yet, so I really know nothing, but i get the impression they like face to face. maybe become the stamp, so to speak....Just a thought

Cheers

hhbop
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:16 pm
Busy Again

lol - bless u that u have - do they have any openings for stand-up comedians??? For once the 'don't give up the day job' need not apply (yet)!! Oddly enough there is an ex prisoner officer working for Hamilton corrections dept managing re the community work groups. Lots of areas have just taken on trainee probation officers. A friend who moved over before xmas started mon in tauranga. I will be shortly, though have been qualified in the uk for 10 yrs. U seem to have done alot but don't get disheartened, things can turn up when u least expect them and u always have ur sense of humour!! haven't been to nz yet, so I really know nothing, but i get the impression they like face to face. maybe become the stamp, so to speak....Just a thought

Cheers

hhbop
I have just looked on Trade Me and Seek for jobs as a Stand-up-Comedian
and yet again my luck is out there doesn't seem to be any jobs ??
but i will have a look at the Probation Office one.
i have tried the knocking on doors approach until i thought i had two heads the way people started to look at me ???
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I hope u get something soon it certanly sounds like u are putting the effort in !!

Neil
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bdclayton
I have just looked on Trade Me and Seek for jobs as a Stand-up-Comedian
and yet again my luck is out there doesn't seem to be any jobs ??
but i will have a look at the Probation Office one.
i have tried the knocking on doors approach until i thought i had two heads the way people started to look at me ???
Perhaps it was the sense of humour?! In case u do have 2 heads, with that sense of humour.....good grief!!! I think the stand up thingy starts as a self employed jobby. As a quick aside u did finally help me solve my leavin do problem - we are now goin to a Comedy club - so there u are positively inspirational!! Could u send me some jokes and tips coz i always bugger up the punchline

there is nothing wrong with your luck, not sure how but will try to send u some karma (not done that on here yet so it could go screwball!!) Timing is everything.

Keep up the good work!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:50 am
Busy Again

Perhaps it was the sense of humour?! In case u do have 2 heads, with that sense of humour.....good grief!!! I think the stand up thingy starts as a self employed jobby. As a quick aside u did finally help me solve my leavin do problem - we are now goin to a Comedy club - so there u are positively inspirational!! Could u send me some jokes and tips coz i always bugger up the punchline

there is nothing wrong with your luck, not sure how but will try to send u some karma (not done that on here yet so it could go screwball!!) Timing is everything.

Keep up the good work!
hey thanks for that.
Have a great leaving DO
A good laugh is a cure for most things
i could only think of two quick jokes so here they are!

What's the difference between chopped beef and pea soup?

Everyone can chop beef, but not everyone can pea soup!

My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower and I told him of course he could, so long as he didn't take it out of my garden
i know they are bad
have a good day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.