Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UKVPN - poor service recently

UKVPN - poor service recently

Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute
Default UKVPN - poor service recently

We have been using UKVPN recently and until this last month or so it all worked well, however recently it really struggles on say, iplayer. It is buffering so much it takes 2 hours to watch a 1 hour programme, by which time I have given up

Download speeds are good and anything from iTunes when not using the VPN is fine.

Has UKVPN become victim of its own success and can't cope with the amount of users?

If I cancel it and go with another provider can anyone recommend one?

Thanks
TS
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKVPN - poor service recently

I use Overplay which has worked quite well for me. Gives you access to 65 countries so you can watch BBC, but also RTE Ireland, ABC Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc.

Overplay.net

Just a usage note: you might want to get the BBC iPlayer 'Desktop'. Leave it on during the day with 'Series Record' and it will download the full program for you while you are away at work or whatever. When you come home to watch the whole thing will be there already--not a single buffer incident or delay. Really the most effective way to watch the content.

Last edited by penguinsix; Mar 26th 2013 at 6:37 am.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

I use purevpn and have done so for a couple of years now.

It's been pretty much rock solid, occasionally (very rare) I've had buffering issues (perhaps 10 days out of a total of 2 years with them)

Mostly it runs just fine. My up/down speed on my connection (not-vpn) is 15Meg up/down.

Once connected to the UK VPN it's getting 10Meg down/up.

I did notice one weird thing though a few years back. If I ran the VPN under windows XP home edition, the vpn speeds were crippled to a max of about 1.5Meg up down, but on exactly the same machine, when I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, the vpn speeds jumped to 10Meg up/down.

Still don't know why though.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys,

Just been watching BBC News and it was fine, it does seem to struggle on an evening when the world (well US!) return from work.

Will update my iplayer download too and make sure I get some downloaded and stored rather than trying to watch them live.

Will check out purevpn too

Thanks again
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:37 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
I use purevpn and have done so for a couple of years now.

It's been pretty much rock solid, occasionally (very rare) I've had buffering issues (perhaps 10 days out of a total of 2 years with them)

Mostly it runs just fine. My up/down speed on my connection (not-vpn) is 15Meg up/down.

Once connected to the UK VPN it's getting 10Meg down/up.

I did notice one weird thing though a few years back. If I ran the VPN under windows XP home edition, the vpn speeds were crippled to a max of about 1.5Meg up down, but on exactly the same machine, when I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, the vpn speeds jumped to 10Meg up/down.

Still don't know why though.
Windows 7 does a much better job than XP at specifying an appropriate TCP window size. An incorrect TCP window size really affects throughput as latency increases.
There are registry tweaks and freebie tools out there that will tweak XP to work much better than default.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Been watching LOADS of snooker the past week or so, using iPlayer over ibVPN, occasional buffering but probably only a couple of minutes total per hour, if that.

Picture quality is at least as good as the non-HD channels over cable TV, if not better.

Very happy with it for $20 for 6 months.