Reload this Page >

OCI/PIO Card Application Process

OCI/PIO Card Application Process

Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:43 am
Just Joined

ausssie_11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI/PIO Card Application Process

Hi Guys

Any one have any idea of OCI application processing procedure, documents requirements and processing time (approximatly)?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI/PIO Card Application Process

Originally Posted by ausssie_11
Hi Guys

Any one have any idea of OCI application processing procedure, documents requirements and processing time (approximatly)?
OK, I've had a VERY long day and obviously have brain fade - what is an OCI/PIO card?
I can only find something on Google about Indian citizenship which clearly has nothing to do with Aussie Immigration
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved you to the India Forum. I'm sure you'll find the answers you're looking for here.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausssie_11
Hi Guys

VFS services Australia. The same site will have PIO info.

http://www.vfs-in-au.net/overseascit...CheckList.html

B
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:27 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

OCI = Overseas Citizen of India (dual citizenship)

PIO = Person Of India Origin

See this chart, gives and idea of both http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf

Check the same website - Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt of India - for info on eligibility, application process and other details.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:27 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aussie 11

First of all welcome to BE and the India and Goa forums.

Quite a few folks have got PIO cards - quite a few are on the Goa forum so it may be worth posting your question on there too - so I am sure they will be able to advice on documents etc.

Bipat has given you a link to the VFS which is the visa outsourcing agency employed by the Indian High Commissions to deal with all things visa - somewhere on that website you will be able to find a section on PIO applications, which should list the documents you need to produce.

As for how long it takes - well that my friend is the ever burning question that has no definitive answer - this after all is India !!! - In other words some have got a PIO in 3 months, for others it has been a rather longer wait.....

All the very best with your application

Dread - x
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Rikshawala is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - if you are applying from the UK it seems it takes about 7 days. You need to actually submit in person rather than through an online process for other visas.

From their website: http://hcilondon.in/pio.php

Processing of the application normally takes 07 working days, certain cases may take more time.

I am going to apply next week so will post an update - almost seems too good to be true...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Shazandaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking from personal experiance the actual time it takes to get a pio card in the uk is six weeks.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:19 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Its worth the effort whether it takes 7 days or 6 weeks, the process has to be gone through just once. Yes you would have to apply in person so best to apply for all members of family who are eligible.

Cheers
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Hi guys

Does anyone know how "flexible" they are about the evidence provided to prove Indian born grandparents?

eg I know the information online asks for the grandparent's birth certificate or passport - but unfortunately these have long since been lost so I have neither.

What I DO have is my grandmother's official death certificate which clearly shows she was born in India (and of course both my and my father's birth cert which links me to my grandmother).

I am going to try to submit my PIO this week with these documents - does anyone have experience of using anything other than birth certificates/passports?

NB: However I have also applied for my grandmother's replacement birth certificate through the government of Goa e-services portal - I did this 2 weeks ago and my application ref is showing no updates/progress so far (as expected) It only says my application has been received.
So In the mean time I thought I would try the death certificate in those hopes this will be sufficient...

Thanks all
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:32 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

AFAIK they are flexible. Especially because passports and such were not much in use 60+ years back, so a friend had submitted his Grandfather's Land ownership records in India. In your case you late Grandmother's death cert should suffice but then again it might take a while longer to process. And if you are able to get a duplicate of her birth cert thats done. Get everything notarised/attested on the copies for sure. Good luck

Cheers
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:45 am
Just Joined

GREAT info IndianFriend - thank you. Great peace of mind for me.

I hadn't thought about getting them notarised/attested - looks like I will have to go to a lawyer. Better to know now - thank you.

Would they accept (notarised) colour copies do you think? - or do I need to submit the original documents (which I do have but would rather not risk sending in these precious documents)

Thanks again!