Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Thumbs up HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

first of all Happy New Year to you guys. Hope you having a good one.

Hi guys.

me and missus have been thinking for long time bout living in NZ. Im a class 1 driver and wanted to be in contact with HGV Drivings living there so we can talk bout it and wat its like.
Got lots of Questions.

>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.

> Wats wages like

> Wheres best place to go

> Wats living like and how expensive it is. Like Fuel, HOuse Prices (rent/buy) etc

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Hi Mark,

After a quick glance I see that you are interested in emigrating from the UK. You stated 29 August...
Originally Posted by markraynes
im 32 and have a wife and 3 kids.
thinking about going to Canada driving, coz im sick of this country. Traffic, taxes, crime, unemployed getting everything. this country is going down the drain.
Not happy in the UK and looking for something better for your family and self? Fair enough. Let's go through some of your questions.
>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.
I think you may be thinking of Canada, the US or Australia. New Zealand isn't big enough where you will be gone for weeks.

> Wats[sic] wages like
What are wages like? Wages are better for people who can spell and use basic grammar. Pardon my snarky response, but SMS speak chaps my hide.

Try looking at this thread => http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477086

> Where's best place to go
That's up to you I would think. It really depends on employment opportunities and your own personal tastes.

> Wats[sic] living like and how expensive it is? Like Fuel, House Prices (rent/buy) etc
Once again, it is difficult to say not knowing your circumstances. OK, as far as fuel goes you will be paying NZ$1.71/litre for petrol and I think NZ$1.27/litre for diesel. Do be aware that is the price now. It is likely to change (fuel will probably cost more in the future).

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc
Once again, it is something that is hard to answer not knowing your situation. You should first take a look at New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...laimingpoints/ and see first if you even qualify to immigrate here. All the other information is moot if you can't qualify to come here and work.
Do be aware that as a truckie you can get temporary work permits, but as it stands now HGV drivers are not considered skilled and therefore cannot apply for permanent residency.

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks
Good luck and here's wishing you and yours a happy new year.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Ditto Happynz.

I did respond to your email a while back Mark but at the time you seemed to want Canada. Nothing has changed in terms of cost of living from what I told you last time wages are still in the $16 - 18 an hour bracket, house rental prices depends where you are heading check out www.realenz.co nz or trade me for up to date prices...cost of living in general high compared to UK.

Work...most companies want maximum hours, not a lot of nights out but some companies will expect it, dirtier job than the UK you load and unload yourself.

But as Happy said you can only get temporary residence...so consider things carefully before leaping in...it does have implications.

p.s. I am a truck driver over here with PR but got it through my wifes job!

pps. you're welcome to have my job 'cos I'm off back to the UK...need a break from the work culture out here! Good luck
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

ive been considering moving abroad and think we decided on nz.
canada seems to be long hours and weeks away from home.
i just want to be in contact with someone over there so we can chat over few months so i can get a feel of wat its like

also thinking bout going on holiday oct 08 to auckland or wellington. see for ourselves

Last edited by markraynes; Jan 1st 2008 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:06 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

ive been considering moving abroad and think we decided on nz.
canada seems to be long hours and weeks away from home.
i just want to be in contact with someone over there so we can chat over few months so i can get a feel of wat its like

also thinking bout going on holiday oct 08 to auckland or wellington. see for ourselves
In Canada you also have the added joy of driving over iced-over lakes if you're lucky enough. Seen that programme "Ice Road Truckers"? It was on in the US, not sure about the UK.

A recce trip / holiday over here is always a good idea before you move halfway round the world, if at all possible.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by phil01
Ditto Happynz.

I did respond to your email a while back Mark but at the time you seemed to want Canada. Nothing has changed in terms of cost of living from what I told you last time wages are still in the $16 - 18 an hour bracket, house rental prices depends where you are heading check out www.realenz.co nz or trade me for up to date prices...cost of living in general high compared to UK.

Work...most companies want maximum hours, not a lot of nights out but some companies will expect it, dirtier job than the UK you load and unload yourself.

But as Happy said you can only get temporary residence...so consider things carefully before leaping in...it does have implications.

p.s. I am a truck driver over here with PR but got it through my wifes job!

pps. you're welcome to have my job 'cos I'm off back to the UK...need a break from the work culture out here! Good luck
Oh no! why are you going back to the u.k? What do you mean by the work culture over there? We should be out there in March me a truck driver wife a midwife Is the truck driving that bad that you are giving it up and returning back to u.k?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all
Default Re: Work culture

Interesting comment that about needing a break from the kiwi work culture. When i was there (and iam going back to live) kiwis are very laid back in their work attitude. It didnt bother me but i knew many expats that just couldnt hack it.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshwales
Oh no! why are you going back to the u.k? What do you mean by the work culture over there? We should be out there in March me a truck driver wife a midwife Is the truck driving that bad that you are giving it up and returning back to u.k?
Patrick if you mean laid back as in the ops managers don't bother about trying to get you home at night then yeah they are laid back! But definitely not in any other sense of the word. The job must be done, simple as that.

Welshwales it was an experience and I am sure you will love it. But personally I don't want to do max hours every day, had 3 different employers and they all promise you'll be home every night...8 hour days blah blah blah and not one has been that way.

Don't get me wrong we love NZ, it's a beautiful place, good weather, good beaches and we have no criticism of the place, but the wife works more hours than she did in the UK and so do I, both got good employers, nice, friendly etc... so by the weekend you feel that shattered you can't be bothered to do anything.

With trucking, each company I have worked for has me doing max hours and then when I say won't get back they say remind me to get someone to show you how to work your log book the Kiwi way...sod the log book fiddle I want a life!

It's ok some days but when it's bank hols they have done it to me twice now, Easter and Christmas wouldn't get back from Auckland told them couldn't make it so they said we'll put you up in a motel for the night, which is missing the point when you want to be with your family. So jacked in the job and am going home in two weeks!

The wife loves her job but again is working more hours than she did in the UK which again is no good when you have kids...especially when you have no family out here so have to pay for afterschool and summer hols clubs.

For us we came out here for lifestyle but when you feel you are doing nothing but work there is no lifestyle.

I've got a job lined up in the UK where I will be home everynight, won't be maxing hours, won't have to load and unload myself and get paid twice as much...which is going to give us a better lifestyle 'cos the wife will be able to do part time (we can't afford her to do that out here).

I don't regret coming and may well become a ping ponger but I doubt it.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:44 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark have you thought about Oz at all?

Just about every house round here with a decent bit of land that's on the market seems to have massive sheds and "Plenty of Room for a Truck" advertised.

Good lifestyle, great beaches for the kids, cheap fuel....
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine

Just about every house round here with a decent bit of land that's on the market seems to have massive sheds and "Plenty of Room for a Truck" advertised.

With the distances involved (my late FIL was a trucker in the US), wouldn't it be more likely for him to be away more / for longer periods?

Phil, so sorry to hear it's not worked out. That certainly sucks about fiddling the log books, I hate that kind of thing! It's something that tachometers don't take into account, either.

I wish you two all the best back in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nerine

Add to that away for a 12 weeks at a time living in a tin sauna shared with deadly spiders and it's paradise...been there done that and would prefer to fiddle the log book in NZ than go back to Oz!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
With the distances involved (my late FIL was a trucker in the US), wouldn't it be more likely for him to be away more / for longer periods?

Phil, so sorry to hear it's not worked out. That certainly sucks about fiddling the log books, I hate that kind of thing! It's something that tachometers don't take into account, either.

I wish you two all the best back in the UK.
Thanks Maz.

We have enjoyed our time here but no matter where we have travelled always get the pull back to the UK! So now happy to settle in a beautiful little village in Yorkshire, bought a house on the river with mooring and fishing rights and plotting our next adventure...a holiday home somewhere...maybe Europe or if the wife gets her way will be Florida! oooh for a quiet life!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:43 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by phil01
Thanks Maz.

We have enjoyed our time here but no matter where we have travelled always get the pull back to the UK! So now happy to settle in a beautiful little village in Yorkshire, bought a house on the river with mooring and fishing rights and plotting our next adventure...a holiday home somewhere...maybe Europe or if the wife gets her way will be Florida! oooh for a quiet life!
Florida? urghhh...not my choice in tropical getaways, but to each their own.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:58 am
Maz

Originally Posted by happynz
Florida? urghhh...not my choice in tropical getaways, but to each their own.
Phil, are you and Debbie entitled to live in the US?

Happy, know what you mean about Florida. The humidity there was unbearable, the times I was there. But the Kennedy Space Center was most awesome.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
Phil, are you and Debbie entitled to live in the US?

Happy, know what you mean about Florida. The humidity there was unbearable, the times I was there. But the Kennedy Space Center was most awesome.
When you have 3 kids Florida is the place to be! Wouldn't want to live there but it is a great holiday destination.

We spent some time in Connecticut and some time in Seattle as we have relies in both places so we did think about living there but part of the reason for going home is the relies...wife's mum has cancer, in remission at present but last time she went for a check up they said she had some shadows and they would know more at her next 3 month check. My folks are both 70 now so seems the time is right to have some family time...do the old family party bbq thing for a few years.

A friend of ours, has lived here 10 years went back to see her mum in the UK and they knew as her mum is in her 80's that would be the last time they saw each other and we just thought aw that's awful...I know you get used to it when travelling but still hard to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.