Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worth flying home for dental work?

Worth flying home for dental work?

Old May 8th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worth flying home for dental work?

Is it ever worth just popping on a plane and flying home for dental work rather than getting it done here?

I know that I'll get fleeced by getting dental work done in the Canada (no insurance or coverage plan available through employer) but was wondering if I would still be covered by the NHS for some (or all) of the dental treatment in the UK still? Which brings me to my next question - is there a time that you are no longer covered by the NHS, i.e. do I need to have spent a certain amount of time in the UK in order to still be covered?

When comes the time that I need to buy travel insurance if I'm flying home to the UK? Or does my british passport circumvent all that nonsense?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worth flying home for dental work?

Why should you receive dental work at NHS costs in the UK?

Not being flippant - but if you are no longer resident there, why would you think you could obtain the dental work?

Are you in Canada temporarily, or a one year visa for example? Are you still registered with doctor/dentist, etc, in the UK, legitimately, because you are returning to live there soon?

Edit: the reality is that with a UK address and accent, it is unlikely anyone will question you further ... the morality of doing so is another matter.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Or get it done in Mexico. A fraction of the cost and you can have a holiday with the savings.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Or get it done in Mexico. A fraction of the cost and you can have a holiday with the savings.
You saw the TV reports on Global about that did you?
Old May 8th 2012, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be doing well if you can find yourself an NHS dentist who has space for new patients and can fit you in to an appointment at a time that suits your travel plans...
Old May 8th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Not being flippant - but if you are no longer resident there, why would you think you could obtain the dental work?

Are you in Canada temporarily, or a one year visa for example? Are you still registered with doctor/dentist, etc, in the UK, legitimately, because you are returning to live there soon?

Edit: the reality is that with a UK address and accent, it is unlikely anyone will question you further ... the morality of doing so is another matter.
Is a legitimate question about what a UK citizen needs to do to still qualify for NHS treatment.

And you don't get if you don't ask, or vice versa.

In the process of obtaining PR in Canada, but still learning about what the effects are!
Old May 8th 2012, 3:47 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
Is a legitimate question about what a UK citizen needs to do to still qualify for NHS treatment.

And you don't get if you don't ask, or vice versa.

In the process of obtaining PR in Canada, but still learning about what the effects are!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Uk+national+eli...reatment+in+UK
Old May 8th 2012, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
See, that wasn't so hard!
Old May 8th 2012, 5:58 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

But you didn't do it, so it must have been eh!
Old May 8th 2012, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ann m
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you keep up whatever minimum payment you have to (national insurance, there may be something else - dunno), I think you're entitled to it.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you keep up whatever minimum payment you have to (national insurance, there may be something else - dunno), I think you're entitled to it.
There are almost NO NHS dentists left in the UK, they are all private, any that are left are few and far between, and have overflowing waiting lists.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:25 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
See link _ you need to be resident. And even if rthey are nhs not many qualify for free treatment.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are almost NO NHS dentists left in the UK, they are all private, any that are left are few and far between, and have overflowing waiting lists.
Certainly not true here (Berks) - we moved last year and had loads of choice of NHS dentists, all of which had space for all of us.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 8th 2012 at 12:30 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:31 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

A thank you wouldn't have gone amiss either !!!
Old May 8th 2012, 1:12 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i have done it..not intentionally when i was home at chrimbo..i lost a filling went beck to my old dentist i was still registered there..booked me in no questions..cost me 43 notes...would have cost me a minimum $200 in Canada..but i get healthcare at 80% so in reality it cost me more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.