Reload this Page >

Relocating Pet dog from Singapore to the UK

Relocating Pet dog from Singapore to the UK

Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

giokookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating Pet dog from Singapore to the UK

Hi!

Does anyone have any experience with moving to the UK with their dog?

I would prefer to do it myself due to the very high cost charged by the agents so any advice and tips would be greatly welcomed.

I've already went though the Pet Travel Scheme website and know what vaccinations and tests my dog would need so am looking more on information like which airlines to take and the procedures starting from bringing my dog to Changi airport and collecting it at the Heathrow or Manchester airport.

Also what documents would be needed by the UK customs?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of
Default Re: Relocating Pet dog from Singapore to the UK

Originally Posted by giokookie
Hi!

I would prefer to do it myself due to the very high cost charged by the agents so any advice and tips would be greatly welcomed.

I've already went though the Pet Travel Scheme website and know what vaccinations and tests my dog would need so am looking more on information like which airlines to take and the procedures starting from bringing my dog to Changi airport and collecting it at the Heathrow or Manchester airport.

Thanks in advance!
Hi
I always organise my dog travel myself as you are only doing the leg work an agent would do but saving a lot of money.
Firstly you need to check how long the pet passport is going to take to be valid before you can actually bring the dog in to the uk, i have never flown from Singapore with mine.
Then its a case of checking which airlines fly from there to where you want to land in uk.
On their websites if they take pets they will have a contact number if they od take pets for you to call.
You will need the specific size carrier for your dog.
You drop the dog at the airlines cargo handling area in Changi where they will check all the documents and in the Uk you go to the animal reception centre (at Heathrow, not sure about others) you would need transport to get there as it is not actually on the airport site.
The documents are sent with the dog but always always take photocopies and have them with you.
Jo
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Give me a shout if you have a problem finding the info.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BE.

Take a look at the DEFRA website for a list of airlines and routes...only those specified can be used. There is info in the Wiki regarding the steps to take for taking your dog to the UK...the tab is located in the blue bar at the top of the page...for step by step info. There are also many threads on the subject...so use the Search Function which is located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search and search the threads in the MBTTUK forum.

I can't remember anyone bringing a pet back from Singapore before...most are from Australia and the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 30th 2009 at 7:57 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about

We're going through the same thing ourselves at the moment, although we are using an agent.

One thing I remember from when we brought our dog from China to Singapore in the first place is that Singapore Airlines have quite a long list of dogs they won't carry. I think BA are a bit more flexible. So check carefully - the information is on the website.

Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Take a look at the DEFRA website for a list of airlines and routes...only those specified can be used. There is info in the Wiki regarding the steps to take for taking your dog to the UK...the tab is located in the blue bar at the top of the page...for step by step info. There are also many threads on the subject...so use the Search Function which is located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search and search the threads in the MBTTUK forum.

I can't remember anyone bringing a pet back from Singapore before...most are from Australia and the US.
HI Jerseygirl!

Thanks for your reply. I've already went through the Defra website so i know the steps for getting the Pet Travel Scheme Cert for my dog to get into the UK without quarantine.

I've looked though the Wiki you suggested as well as tried the search but however haven't really found the info I need... It seems like most people go through an agent to bring their pets over.

I'm actually looking more for info on what i should expect at Heathrow and Changi Airport (if possible). What i should do and where to go.. other's people's experience, etc.

I'm interested in this as I want to be sure that i will be able to handle it on my own without the help of an agent.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lumines
We're going through the same thing ourselves at the moment, although we are using an agent.

One thing I remember from when we brought our dog from China to Singapore in the first place is that Singapore Airlines have quite a long list of dogs they won't carry. I think BA are a bit more flexible. So check carefully - the information is on the website.

Good luck
Hi,

The approved carriers for the PETS scheme from Singapore are BA World cargo, Singapore Airlines, emirates skycargo and Cathay Pacific and as my dog is a miniature poodle, he's able to travel on all of them. However, with the exception of BA, the rest have just informed me that I would have to use an agent to handle the reservation booking.

Sign... the agents i've contacted so far have charged me a really high fee or refused to give me a proper quotation (one quoted me from SG$1000 to SG$10000- a huge difference and refused to lower the range!). They have been rude, patronizing, unprofessional, are irritated with my questions and can't even speak English properly!

Sorry to rant here but have just got off the phone from 1 hour of calls and am frustrated beyond believe.

I really would prefer not to deal with the agents... at first it was because of the cost but now after calling the major and some minor agents, their attitudes make me wonder how they will be able to take care of my dog well!

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good agent in Singapore?

BTW, emirates informed me that i could use a freight forwarding company instead of a pet relocation agent. Have anyone used such a service for their pet?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about

Well, I have to say I didn't shop around for quotes or anything, I'm just using an agent that was recommended to us - so far, they have only had to sort out my dog's rabies vaccination and subsequent blood test, but they've been very helpful and pleasant so far, and done everything that they were supposed to do, when they were supposed to do it. Their quote for the Singapore side is about $2500 - but $1900 of that is for the actual cost of sending the dog as freight (and we already have the cage). The difference of $600 is what they're effectively charging to do all the paperwork and the transporting etc.

We're using Mitchville k-9 kennels. If you have trouble understanding Singlish (and I still do), you could always email the agents and ask them for a quote rather than trying to get them to give you one over the phone - that's what I do, much easier for everyone involved
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Hi,

The approved carriers for the PETS scheme from Singapore are BA World cargo, Singapore Airlines, emirates skycargo and Cathay Pacific and as my dog is a miniature poodle, he's able to travel on all of them. However, with the exception of BA, the rest have just informed me that I would have to use an agent to handle the reservation booking.

Sign... the agents i've contacted so far have charged me a really high fee or refused to give me a proper quotation (one quoted me from SG$1000 to SG$10000- a huge difference and refused to lower the range!). They have been rude, patronizing, unprofessional, are irritated with my questions and can't even speak English properly!

Sorry to rant here but have just got off the phone from 1 hour of calls and am frustrated beyond believe.

I really would prefer not to deal with the agents... at first it was because of the cost but now after calling the major and some minor agents, their attitudes make me wonder how they will be able to take care of my dog well!

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good agent in Singapore?

BTW, emirates informed me that i could use a freight forwarding company instead of a pet relocation agent. Have anyone used such a service for their pet?
i used BA from Canada to Uk, called the cargo direct and was really lucky to get a fantastic guy who helped me through the whole process. he was very patient with me and the day i dropped Ru Bear off he let me put him in the staff canteen in his crate as it was quieter there than in the cargo bay.
As i said previously at Changhi you would have to deliver the dog to their cargo area where it would be taken from you and held untill boarding and at Heathrow you collect from the animal reception area, they have all the documents from when you dropped him they are attached to their crate. Both in Canada and uk the cargo area is NOT within walking distance of the airport so you do dhave to consider this when dropping off pet and collecting, have no idea abou Changhi. If you call BA at the airport there they will be able to answer all your questions for you, hopefully !
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi giokookie, I haven't moved a dog from Sg to the UK but I have moved 3 Singapore rescue cats from Sg to Oz, and I did it with Mitchville k9 kennels.

If we move again I would definitely use an agent - you have enough stress when moving without having to sort out your pets, too.

However if you do want to get other opinions I would suggest searching or asking on www.expatsingapore.com.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Lumines,

Actually, my mom is Singaporean Chinese while my dad is British so I understand Singlish.. in fact i'm guilty of speaking it too! but when I said that the agents i spoke to couldn't speak English properly, I meant they spoke the kind of broken English that normally the uneducated people speak and in my experience of living in Singapore my whole life, they are normally the type who will turn out to be very unprofessional so I prefer not to deal with them.

I've spoken to Michville and found them ok but I'm going to use another company.. Pete's Pet Services. I found him to be very knowledgeable and experienced. He spoke to me on the phone for about half an hour, patiently explaining everything step by step and giving me alot of tips and advice. And apparently the ex British High Commissioner for Singapore used his services when he went back to the UK so I think he should be good enough for me as well. Plus he's has very reasonable pricing! He's only charging me $450 for handling all the paperwork and running the errands.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
i used BA from Canada to Uk, called the cargo direct and was really lucky to get a fantastic guy who helped me through the whole process. he was very patient with me and the day i dropped Ru Bear off he let me put him in the staff canteen in his crate as it was quieter there than in the cargo bay.
As i said previously at Changhi you would have to deliver the dog to their cargo area where it would be taken from you and held untill boarding and at Heathrow you collect from the animal reception area, they have all the documents from when you dropped him they are attached to their crate. Both in Canada and uk the cargo area is NOT within walking distance of the airport so you do dhave to consider this when dropping off pet and collecting, have no idea abou Changhi. If you call BA at the airport there they will be able to answer all your questions for you, hopefully !
HI Jo,Ru,

Thanks for your information, they really helped me to visualise what will be happening at the airport!

Unfortunately, the BA office here was not much help as the lady who picked up the phone seemed didn't seem to know anything and suggested I email British Airlines for any info and i've done that... waiting for their reply now. I've since found a pet relocation agent but want to make sure i am aware of everything myself so that hopefully nothing goes wrong.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi giokookie, I haven't moved a dog from Sg to the UK but I have moved 3 Singapore rescue cats from Sg to Oz, and I did it with Mitchville k9 kennels.

If we move again I would definitely use an agent - you have enough stress when moving without having to sort out your pets, too.

However if you do want to get other opinions I would suggest searching or asking on www.expatsingapore.com.
HI Seasider, I think you are right... just searching for an agent and information was a lot of trouble.. I have since decided to use an agent...

To everyone who moved back with their pet to the UK:

I've found out that for pets travelling to the UK from non EU countries, they won't be able to be accompanied as excess baggage and would be brought straight upon arrival to the animal reception center and kept there for about 4-5 hours before we can pick him up, so, from your experience, would it be better for me to go over to the UK first and settle in and bring my dog over a few weeks later? He has a 'God-pa' that he loves who has taken care of him when we travel so there's no need to board him.

I think that it will be less stressful for us and him as well since we wouldn't have to deal with luggage and such and can concentrate on him when we do pick him up from the center but I'm also thinking that if we are on the same flight as him and anything goes wrong, we'll be right there. However, the agent told me that it will not make a difference if we're there or not so am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:51 am
Just Joined

VirtualMagik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lumines,

Actually, my mom is Singaporean Chinese while my dad is British so I understand Singlish.. in fact i'm guilty of speaking it too! but when I said that the agents i spoke to couldn't speak English properly, I meant they spoke the kind of broken English that normally the uneducated people speak and in my experience of living in Singapore my whole life, they are normally the type who will turn out to be very unprofessional so I prefer not to deal with them.
Pete's Pet Services. I found him to be very knowledgeable and experienced.
I've spoken to Michville and found them ok but I'm going to use another company.. He spoke to me on the phone for about half an hour, patiently explaining everything step by step and giving me alot of tips and advice. And apparently the ex British High Commissioner for Singapore used his services when he went back to the UK so I think he should be good enough for me as well. Plus he's has very reasonable pricing! He's only charging me $450 for handling all the paperwork and running the errands.

Hi,

Would appreciate if you could please share your experience with Peter Pet Services in Singapore because I am on the verge of relocating my pet with them.

Thanks and regards
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:01 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Relocating Pet dog from Singapore to the UK

Originally Posted by VirtualMagik
Hi,

Would appreciate if you could please share your experience with Peter Pet Services in Singapore because I am on the verge of relocating my pet with them.

Thanks and regards
No idea (I don't have a pet in Singapore.....well we did once have a cat which my friend rescued from a monsoon drain, but he ran off when we moved to a new apartment) but do check the forums on these websites:

http://www.expatsingapore.com

http://www.singaporum.com

http://www.singaporeexpats.com