Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:37 am
vas
Just Joined

vas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Hello everybody,
I would like to take my car to republic of ireland from uk,am permanently moving to ireland on spousal work permit,i owned this car more than 15 months,any members could help me to clarify my few questions will be much appreciated.
1)When i take my car from london to ireland ,within how many days i have to reregister my car?
2)is there any fee for reregisteration?
3)what is the procedure prior to take this car from uk to ireland?
4)Do I need to inform the vehicle registration office in ireland before i take this car to ireland?
5)Whether am eligible to use my present insurance cover from uk to ireland
by activating my european insurance cover till the time of reregisteration in ireland?
6)To reregister my car in ireland what is the procedure?
7)what all documents i have to submit for reregisteration?
8)Am taking my car to Dublin,can i get the address of vehicle registration office in dublin?
9)Can i get the road tax in ireland before i reregister the car in ireland?
10)Where can i get the road tax for my car?

Please help me to get some good idea about these questions.
Thanking you all.

Regards,
Vas.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bringing car from uk to ireland ?

Originally Posted by vas
Hello everybody,
I would like to take my car to republic of ireland from uk,am permanently moving to ireland on spousal work permit,i owned this car more than 15 months,any members could help me to clarify my few questions will be much appreciated.
1)When i take my car from london to ireland ,within how many days i have to reregister my car?
2)is there any fee for reregisteration?
3)what is the procedure prior to take this car from uk to ireland?
4)Do I need to inform the vehicle registration office in ireland before i take this car to ireland?
5)Whether am eligible to use my present insurance cover from uk to ireland
by activating my european insurance cover till the time of reregisteration in ireland?
6)To reregister my car in ireland what is the procedure?
7)what all documents i have to submit for reregisteration?
8)Am taking my car to Dublin,can i get the address of vehicle registration office in dublin?
9)Can i get the road tax in ireland before i reregister the car in ireland?
10)Where can i get the road tax for my car?

Please help me to get some good idea about these questions.
Thanking you all.

Regards,
Vas.
check out this web site it covers bringing your car to Ireland.
www.oasis.gov.ie
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:02 am
Just Joined

scottie70 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. When I moved to the Republic I was told I didn't have to pay any V.R.T because i'd owned the car for more than 2years. I had to bring old insurance, old car tax UK discs and my bank statements for prove. I don't think this is standard but you never know.
2. If I remember, I think it was a very small fee if any.
3. Just bring the car in. There is no procedure as such, but your meant to register the car 24hrs after arrival
4. NO
5. Now thats a tricky one. If you still have access to your old address I suppose you can get away with it for a while. 6 months is the usual allowance
6.https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT
9. You must register the car first and then a week later after the car has been put on the system you will be able to tax it. If the car is older than % years old you will have to get the car NCT(MOT), this will come through the post automatical

P.s WATCH OUT FOR IRISH DRIVERS!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:04 pm
vas
Just Joined

vas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very scottie 70 for this information.
Old May 27th 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

HI all.

Some usfull info here thanks.

I've just moved over - living just North of Dublin.

Could anyone tell me the process for registering your car over here? I've had the car for over 2 years so don't have to pay VRT (I hope!)

Do you send your old registration docs off somewhere or do you have to take them somewhere?

Do you get a new registration number or can you keep your UK one?

Is the NCT harder to pass than the MOT?

Can anyone recommend an car insurance company as I don't recognise many of the names over here?

Thanks in advance
Old May 27th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Horus
HI all.

Some usfull info here thanks.

I've just moved over - living just North of Dublin.

Could anyone tell me the process for registering your car over here? I've had the car for over 2 years so don't have to pay VRT (I hope!)

Do you send your old registration docs off somewhere or do you have to take them somewhere?

Do you get a new registration number or can you keep your UK one?

Is the NCT harder to pass than the MOT?

Can anyone recommend an car insurance company as I don't recognise many of the names over here?

Thanks in advance

Contact this office below

St John's House,
High Road,
Tallaght,
Dublin 24
01- 4149791 [email protected]

They will send out all the documents you'll need

here is some info below you can read

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt_3.htm

For insurance purposes I suggest you get the car registered
If the car is in reasonable nick you should pass NCT. They say its stricter, I've seen it done and its not!

http://www.hibernian.ie/direct/Hiber...=KNC-GooglePPC
http://www.allianzdirect.ie/?m=p&s=a&c=1&Ad=2.1.2
http://www.fbd.ie/ (i found them cheaper this year myself)
http://www.axa.ie/

These are the main dealers on the market.
REMEMBER your no claim bonus can be transferred from the UK to Ireland

WATCH OUT FOR IRISH DRIVERS!
Old May 27th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scottie70
REMEMBER your no claim bonus can be transferred from the UK to Ireland
Now that IS good news!

Originally Posted by scottie70
WATCH OUT FOR IRISH DRIVERS!
Yes, found that out already - aren't 24 hour bus lanes for buses?

Thanks Scottie
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Horus
Now that IS good news!

Yes, found that out already - aren't 24 hour bus lanes for buses?

Thanks Scottie
Just wanted to say that although you should register your UK car in Ireland, I know a lot of Brits who've been here for years and never registered cars. Not sure how this works out with NCT (MOT), tax or insurance.

Moira
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chatterboxmoira
Just wanted to say that although you should register your UK car in Ireland, I know a lot of Brits who've been here for years and never registered cars. Not sure how this works out with NCT (MOT), tax or insurance.

Moira
Yea, sometimes I wish I never re-registered the car as it would be a lot cheaper!
Remember the Insurance companies are very cute and look forfeit on any insurance claims. I think for instance you need to have a valid MOT when making a claim. You need to show that you have been activley living in the UK. Do you have a working and active UK bank account, do you have your last ferry receipt?(remember on your insurance policy your only allowed to drive outside the UK for 6months)
Then you have the Irish authorities

Is it still worth it?

Maybe I'm to straight laced!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

lindy333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am living in Dublin at the moment. I will only be living here for about 1 year and was told because of this I would not have to register my car(Which would cost me around 7000 euros!!) My problem now is I need to tax my car ,and I have Irish insurance so cant seem to do it.Can anyone tell me a way around this without registering my car in Dublin.

Cheers

Lindy
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lindy333
Hi

I am living in Dublin at the moment. I will only be living here for about 1 year and was told because of this I would not have to register my car(Which would cost me around 7000 euros!!) My problem now is I need to tax my car ,and I have Irish insurance so cant seem to do it.Can anyone tell me a way around this without registering my car in Dublin.

Cheers

Lindy

Thats a tough one. Who told you you didn't need to registered? Irish Tax Office?
If so, contact the DVLA maybe they might be able to help.
In which way did you try and tax the car? Did they reject because the address on the insurance was different? My thoughts are that if you are able to get someone to tax it at local UK post office with all your "details", they might not notice. If they do try another post office (remember you insurance details should still have you reg plate number, so you have a case in point)
Good Luck keep me informed, its a tricky one

Watch out for Irish Drivers!

Last edited by scottie70; Jun 11th 2007 at 11:22 am.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Thanx Scotty

You dont need to register your uk car if you are living in Ireland for less than 12 months.The problem is I have Irish insurance which is not recognized in the Uk.Im thinking I will have to take out Uk insurance just for the purpose of getting tax then revert back to my Irish insurance once I have it! unless anyone here has a better idea

Lindy
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lindy333
Thanx Scotty

You dont need to register your uk car if you are living in Ireland for less than 12 months.The problem is I have Irish insurance which is not recognized in the Uk.Im thinking I will have to take out Uk insurance just for the purpose of getting tax then revert back to my Irish insurance once I have it! unless anyone here has a better idea

Lindy
Contact the relevant persons who deal with car tax in Uk for a solution. Changing insurance details is a bit extreme but if it works............
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

mister_tortoise is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

i'm moving over to ireland tomorrow, and will be using my existing insurance in the meantime as i am covered for up to 90 days driving over there.

my problem is that i may be staying in ireland longer than 3 months, although no longer than a year so i won't have to re register the car. can someone here suggest an irish insurance company that will insure a UK registered car?

thanks
ric
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ric

Quinn Direct are the only company found who will insure a car with UK plates in Ireland,but only if it is a hard top,I couldnt get anyone to insure my soft top so I had to change cars before I came over.Just check with your insurance company re being insured in Ireland ,my company would only continue to insure me in Dublin as long as I wasnt working there.Worth checking out

Lindy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.