Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Old May 8th 2012, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

When do we find out the good, bad or the downright ugly LAFHA news?

Reading the newspapers you'd consider it a fait accompli, but other sources say it may be withdrawn in a staggered fashion.

Is this the winter of our discontent or is there a glimmer of hope?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:51 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Budget speech televised at 7.30 tonight. It will be on the ABC TV

Newspapers will have varying levels of detail tomorrow. The Financial Review will have detailed coverage http://afr.com/

I am increasingly using The Conversation http://theconversation.edu.au/ and I expect they will have detailed free coverage.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

it'll go through , no transitional period , no lower limit.
why would they be bothered about a few thousand expats who have no say in anything when they can make the figures look good in the short term?
Old May 8th 2012, 6:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

When do I get my free $2460 for having 3 kids?
Old May 8th 2012, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
it'll go through , no transitional period , no lower limit.
why would they be bothered about a few thousand expats who have no say in anything when they can make the figures look good in the short term?
well i know personally three people who are going home if they lose it and their employer doesn't make up the difference. Given that in each case it would necessitate a pay rise of 25k+ they'll probably be going home. All three work in the gas/oil/civil engineering industry.

Multiply that across Australia and you may well find that the only industries keeping Australia out of recession begin to struggle more than they already do due to a lack of staff.

But saying that I fully expect the Australian Govt. to make the wrong decision.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
When do I get my free $2460 for having 3 kids?
when I get half my childcare costs back?
Old May 8th 2012, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Multiply that across Australia and you may well find that the only industries keeping Australia out of recession begin to struggle more than they already do due to a lack of staff.
Just import some other 457 monkeys - problem solved.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Amazulu;10047412]Just import some other 457 monkeys - problem solved.

They don't have enough as it is.

Last edited by bingobob777; May 8th 2012 at 7:13 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sending 50% of your wages back to the UK makes it worthwhile, 30% isn't enough to put up with enduring Brisbane.
Cool. If anyone is not happy with where they are then they need to go somewhere that they think they will be.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

They don't have enough as it is.
Sweet.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cool. If anyone is not happy with where they are then they need to go somewhere that they think they will be.
Exactly, hence my earlier post.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:09 am
Banned

kmthor - mackay is an unknown quantity at this point

well i know personally three people who are going home if they lose it and their employer doesn't make up the difference. Given that in each case it would necessitate a pay rise of 25k+ they'll probably be going home. All three work in the gas/oil/civil engineering industry.

yer this may have a bigger effect than they think we have people that will go home. not only 457s but depending on how the FIFOs get what left of theirs it will mean some of those going home too
Old May 8th 2012, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't the "Australian government's" (by that read tax payers) job to subsidise salaries in the prosperous gas / oil / civil engineering industries.

If employers really do need to retain these staff they will pay the wage that it requires. Basic market forces, it doesn't need government interference.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:55 am
Banned

kmthor - mackay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It isn't the "Australian government's" (by that read tax payers) job to subsidise salaries in the prosperous gas / oil / civil engineering industries.

If employers really do need to retain these staff they will pay the wage that it requires. Basic market forces, it doesn't need government interference.
interesting... im assuming that is your opinion and we are entitled to our own
Old May 8th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Good riddance to it. Why should my tax subsidise someone elses wage when it's them that chose to come and live here and work on the 457.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.