Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Problem with N-400 PDF on USCIS web site

Problem with N-400 PDF on USCIS web site

Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:21 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem with N-400 PDF on USCIS web site

This version appears to have active content that checks the program being used to open it: when I try to open it using Preview on a Mac I see the following text:

"To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html"

Apparently Mac users are not expected to apply for natz...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with N-400 PDF on USCIS web site

Originally Posted by nettlebed
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...osh&product=10.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:10 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

I have done a lot of work with PDF files and I can say that the PDF files created by USCIS have been very poorly made. Some files have embedded fonts and some don't, some require different versions of Acrobat then others, some have been secured and some not, many of the fields are misaligned, some can be saved and some not and there are numerous incompatibilities like the one with apple preview. It's relatively easy to improve upon them by creating much more compatible files, with smaller size and make sure that fonts are always embedded - but I suppose this is too much to ask from USCIS. I could easily create improved and compatible versions of these files myself if many people would be interested - but thats unlikely.

This version appears to have active content that checks the program being used to open it: when I try to open it using Preview on a Mac I see the following text:

"To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html"

Last edited by dreamercon; Feb 27th 2011 at 6:12 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You could always send away for the paper versions. USCIS will mail them to you. You fill this kind in with a "pen".
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:25 am
Banned

samuel5028 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now a days we can submit online application, which is a faster process compared to sending an email...whats your opinion?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Really do you expect government programmers to analyze the information in the HTTP User-Agent header to determine which type of operating system the user is running on?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:01 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they need to do that?

Originally Posted by Michael
Really do you expect government programmers to analyze the information in the HTTP User-Agent header to determine which type of operating system the user is running on?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -- I expect them to use open standards for universal access.

And I don't want them promoting Adobe.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:19 pm
Passport Collector

Portable Document Format (PDF) is an open standard for document exchange.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope -- I expect them to use open standards for universal access.

And I don't want them promoting Adobe.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Portable Document Format (PDF) is an open standard for document exchange.
Precisely. But USCIS have made it unportable!

No idea what their particular reason for checking the reader software is. There is no reason I can think of that a publicly-accessible government form should contain DRM, nor should it use the latest bleeding-edge standard if there is not widespread adoption of that standard. And it should certainly never promote a commercial software vendor.

At least, I suppose, it matches the mindless architecture of their website.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:29 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

No, but the default PDF app for Macs is Preview, which is fully PDF compliant. USCIS are deliberately choosing to require Acrobat. I agree with FB's comment above.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:34 pm
Passport Collector

Preview is not fully PDF compliant. I wish it was - but its not - and I have reported tens of bugs to Apple about Preview alone. Now that doesn't mean that USCIS could not create more compatible PDF files with minimum effort - that would be really easy, I could do that myself in just a few minutes.

There are many more issues involving USCIS forms and Preview - for example, almost all USCIS forms have a barcode at the bottom - but this barcode is not visible when using preview. You can see it with Acrobat Reader though.

No, but the default PDF app for Macs is Preview, which is fully PDF compliant. USCIS are deliberately choosing to require Acrobat. I agree with FB's comment above.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samuel5028
Now a days we can submit online application, which is a faster process compared to sending an email...whats your opinion?
Nowadays you cannot submit an N-400 application either online or by email. So my opinion is to fill out the N-400 form however you can (fill out online and print, or use a pen on a hard copy), and send it via USPS as outlined in the N-400 instructions.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:40 am
Banned

samuel5028 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Nowadays you cannot submit an N-400 application either online or by email. So my opinion is to fill out the N-400 form however you can (fill out online and print, or use a pen on a hard copy), and send it via USPS as outlined in the N-400 instructions.

Rene
I know we cannot submit application online. But we can fill the application online instead of filling in hard copy. I felt its easier to fill online and finally we can take print out of application and send it to USCIS.