Reload this Page >

Moving to Cyprus - where to live

Moving to Cyprus - where to live

Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Narfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cyprus - where to live

Hi

I'm new to this board. I'm moving to Cyprus in November and I would appreciate advice as where would be the best city for me to live. I work freelance and so will not be restricted by my job.

While I do want to integrate into the local community, I would like to meet and make friends with some Brits. I'm female and 34 years-old. I'd like to live somewhere that will make it easy for me to make British friends of a similar age to me (late 20s to late 40s).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can do this?

I know a few Dutch people in Limassol.

Many thanks
Fran
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - where to live

Welcome to the forum narfer
I moved this to the cyprus section where you'll have more of a chance of a reply
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:28 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

Larnaca seemed pleasant 20 something years ago..............
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:38 am
Just Joined

jellybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Narfer
Hi

I'm new to this board. I'm moving to Cyprus in November and I would appreciate advice as where would be the best city for me to live. I work freelance and so will not be restricted by my job.

While I do want to integrate into the local community, I would like to meet and make friends with some Brits. I'm female and 34 years-old. I'd like to live somewhere that will make it easy for me to make British friends of a similar age to me (late 20s to late 40s).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can do this?

I know a few Dutch people in Limassol.

Many thanks
Fran
I would recommend Limassol. It's a large city with a large population and so should make it easier to meet people. Unlike some areas of the island everything is open all year.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

It really depends what you want. Limassol is a big place, although I'm sure its fine once you get to know it. I imagine it has good night life too.

I live in larnaca and it suits me well, its much smaller and because of its location its easy for me to get to Nicosia to work.

Nicosia, good to work in, but I wouldn't like to live there.

Do you want to be near the sea? In a village?

There are plenty of ex pat communities around. Oroklini is one and Paralimini is another.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Location: Limassol, Cyprus - in a suburb about 15 minutes drive from the tourist area.
CypruswithBabies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Narfer

I am new to this board just today.... although I've been in Cyprus permanently for 4yrs.

Hope you found somewhere suitable for you, as I saw you were due to move out in November 2007.

Regards
CypruswithBabies!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:23 pm
Tim Higgins

Tim10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Narfer,

Do not make the mistake of going to South Cyprus. The Greeks really do not like us or appreciate us. They are spiteful and nasty.

However, the Turks know how to appreciate us and treat us better. Also, the Brit community in the North is well fairly well organized.

In terms of employment, Greek is harder to learn than Turkish and the Turks are more likely to give you a chance to suceed. The Greeks will just try to trip you up.

Also, have you taken a look at the cost of living and property prices in the South? You might as well stay in the Uk unless you are looking at North Cyprus.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Location: Limassol, Cyprus - in a suburb about 15 minutes drive from the tourist area.
CypruswithBabies is an unknown quantity at this point

Tim10

I feel uou must be talking about a different south Cyprus to that I know

I certainly haven't come across many of the things you mention and I've been here for 4 years....

I've worked for a Cypriot company, an Israeli company and also an English company - in each of those, I've worked with Cypriots without any problems at all.

I started to learn Greek in the UK for 6 months and then continued with private lessons in Limassol after we arrived. The same Greek was taught but also the colloquialisms used by the Cypriots. In the outlying villages - they do use a slightly different dialect (more slang is used) than in the towns. But the children are all taught to speak "proper" Greek and all understand this.

The only problem is, if you speak in Greek - they do tend to reply in English!

As for the Occupied Northern territory - we've been through on a number of occasions and although we find there is enough to do for a day trip, we find it's very poor in relation to the south. We did consider perhaps looking at buying a business there but gave up on the idea mainly due to this.

And - we certainly would never consider purchasing a property in the north - unless you could absolutely guarantee the land was owned prior to 1974 and the title could be proved without hitch.

There are delays in receiving title deeds in the south but, the owners do eventually get them - it just takes time. Whereas in the north, you can never be certain the land or property you are building/living on is actually yours....

But - each to their own If we all liked the same things - life would be hellishly boring
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:59 pm
Tim Higgins

Thumbs up Moving to Cyprus - where to live

You may have found the cold European atmosphere of the Greeks refreshing. But the Turks are friendlier. It is really a different.

Many Brits are leaving the South for the North. I am glad you are happy with what you found in the South. I can not understand how you can like it.

As for as economics, the North is moving forward quicker than the South in terms of growth percentage. This is what show true potential.

This is why Nike, Pepsi and many other big Western firms have invested in North Cyprus. They realize where the potential is...I am sorry you did not realize this. Still, it might be wise to make an North Cyprus investment.

What you say about property ownership in the South being safer, the truth is quite the opposite. Like I stated, title is rather clear in the North. In the South, the Greeks are doing all they can do to hide the tracks of stolen Turk property in the South. At least the Turks have given the Greeks exchange land or compensation in the South for lands taken in the South-- this is Greeks refuse to do in kind.

Why? Maybe they are thieves or just vindictive? Don't know why -- just know the facts.....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tim10
Narfer,

Do not make the mistake of going to South Cyprus. The Greeks really do not like us or appreciate us. They are spiteful and nasty.

However, the Turks know how to appreciate us and treat us better. Also, the Brit community in the North is well fairly well organized.

In terms of employment, Greek is harder to learn than Turkish and the Turks are more likely to give you a chance to suceed. The Greeks will just try to trip you up.

Also, have you taken a look at the cost of living and property prices in the South? You might as well stay in the Uk unless you are looking at North Cyprus.
Tim,

I think your being a bit strong, the majority of Cypriots aren't spiteful and nasty, maybe just a little wary of other people coming into their country, just as the british are wary of foreigners in the UK. They haven't forgotten that a lot of countries welcomed Cypriots in the 70's when all the trouble started. The "Charlies" are now moving back bringing money and knowledge to give back to Cypriot economy.

I have found that the cost of living is cheaper than the UK, but then, it really depends on where abouts you were in the UK.

Have you lived in the South? How long for? and what happend that has made you feel the way you do about Cypriots?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:50 am
Tim Higgins

I just found them to be out and out nasty.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I just found them to be out and out nasty.
Sorry you feel like that.

Narfer, don't let one opinion put you off, after all nearly 100,000 ex pats are in the south of Cyprus, so, they can't all be wrong.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:04 am
Tim Higgins

And many have moved to the North after being fed up with the Greek Cypriots....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

And many have moved to the North after being fed up with the Greek Cypriots....
but not 100,000! Some people need to have the security of a recognised country.

Anyway, I'm not getting into a debate, Narfer needs to make the decision, not us.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:13 am
Tim Higgins

Agreed -- let her see both sides of the island and let her make her own decision. I respect your point of view -- I just disagree....Hope you do not take that personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.