Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Using English electrical qualifications in Australia

Using English electrical qualifications in Australia

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

L e e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using English electrical qualifications in Australia

I'm a 27 year old electrician living in England and have family in Perth and Melbourne. My wife and i want to go to Australia with a view to living there permanently. Having been to Perth before, and having a lot of friends there, we'd ideally like to be in Perth. I am wondering if i'll be able to work as an electrician using the qualifications i've earned here. These are:

NVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation (C&G 2356)
17th Edition Wiring Regulations (C&G 2382)
Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations (C&G 2391)

If these don't allow me to work as a qualified electrician in WA or elsewhere in Australia, then is there a changeover course that i can do?

Will i be able to find work as an electrician's mate or apprentice or be able to find electrical labouring work there with these qualifications?

At the moment i work in industrial maintainance, testing and inspecting and remedial work. This is the work i'd like to continue in Australia if possible. Do i need a WA A Grade Electrical Licence for this work? Could anyone tell me anything about this licence?

Is it possbile to work in a domestic environment with the qualifications i have? Is a WA A Grade Electrical Licence required for domestic work?

Ideally we'd like to go there for a year on a years' working visa and see what we think of it, and then if possible, apply for sponsorship or whatever is necessary in order to live there permanently. However, if going there for a year, then i'd like to work in my profession if possible instead of unskilled labour if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Lee.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all
Default Re: Using English electrical qualifications in Australia

Hey Lee,

I'm Irish so I've no idea what your qualifications mean. I take it though you are a qualified electrician. You will need to get an A grade licence to do any electrical work in Australia. The only overseas electrical trade qualifications recognised in Australia are New Zealand ones so you will need to transfer your qualifications. You will first need to go through TRA and get an Australian Recognised Trade Cert (ARTC). You will then need to do a trade test before you can apply for your licence. There is plenty of info on this forum on how to do this so there is no point in me repeating it. Hope this helps and best of luck with it.

Adrian