Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Guitar as hand luggage?

Guitar as hand luggage?

Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Guitar as hand luggage?

Just a quickie...we are flying to Brissie on the 14th March with Singapore airlines and I have been having sleepless nights about how exactly I am to transport my electric guitar.

I have heard horror stories of people that have shipped them as nomal baggage (snapped necks etc....gulp) and some people that have managed to get them in as hand luggage?!?!?

Has anyone ever transported a guitar to Oz? did anyone send it in the hold okay? if so any recommendations on decent hard cases?

Ta very much.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:48 am
Just Joined

PercyPhlarge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Guitar as hand luggage?

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Just a quickie...we are flying to Brissie on the 14th March with Singapore airlines and I have been having sleepless nights about how exactly I am to transport my electric guitar.

I have heard horror stories of people that have shipped them as nomal baggage (snapped necks etc....gulp) and some people that have managed to get them in as hand luggage?!?!?

Has anyone ever transported a guitar to Oz? did anyone send it in the hold okay? if so any recommendations on decent hard cases?

Ta very much.
My son flew to Brisbane with Singapore Airlines last September. I wanted him to be able to take his acoustic and so I offered to buy him a case so that the guitar could go in the hold. I went with him to a music shop in Manchester and paid about £80 (if I remember correctly).

The guitar journeyed safe and sound. Fortunately even with the guitar he was within his luggage allowance so there were no extra charges.
I will try to find out the make of case (and check if my recollection of the cost is right) and let you know.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Guitar as hand luggage?

Ta very much.
I sent my Squire Stratocaster in a flight case I built myself out of chipboard and foam. Sent with Excess Baggage international by Sea.

It arrived OK and I gigged with it for a year before returning back to the UK. I also shipped a synthesizer, sequencer, effects pedals, microphone etc at the same time.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to find out if its hand luggagable is phone your airline check in desks or your airline. Peoplemay have shipped them pre 9/11 but post 9/11 I'd be stunned... I would imagine that a guitar would count as a weapon (!) , Im not suggesting you play badly but that when whacked on a air-hostess head its a 'club'.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PercyPhlarge
My son flew to Brisbane with Singapore Airlines last September. I wanted him to be able to take his acoustic and so I offered to buy him a case so that the guitar could go in the hold. I went with him to a music shop in Manchester and paid about £80 (if I remember correctly).

The guitar journeyed safe and sound. Fortunately even with the guitar he was within his luggage allowance so there were no extra charges.
I will try to find out the make of case (and check if my recollection of the cost is right) and let you know.
Yeah that would be great if you could find out. Currently looking at SKB cases at the moment but not sure if they are up to being hurled around by the luggage handlers :-)
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that would be great if you could find out. Currently looking at SKB cases at the moment but not sure if they are up to being hurled around by the luggage handlers :-)

I have an Ibanez Jem7V in a prestige flight case, that i am looking to transport also, and i have the same concerns. i guess as long as its well packed and padded in a FITTED case, it should be ok.

EDIT: I have shipped hundereds of guitars from the USA over to the UK in flight cases, and have never had a problem
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
The only way to find out if its hand luggagable is phone your airline check in desks or your airline. Peoplemay have shipped them pre 9/11 but post 9/11 I'd be stunned... I would imagine that a guitar would count as a weapon (!) , Im not suggesting you play badly but that when whacked on a air-hostess head its a 'club'.
Mmmm guitar as a lethal weapon...I have heard of many people spontaneously commiting harikari in guitar shops when someone decides to demo a guitar by playing Stairway to Heaven.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
I have an Ibanez Jem7V in a prestige flight case, that i am looking to transport also, and i have the same concerns. i guess as long as its well packed and padded in a FITTED case, it should be ok.
Yeah have done some reading and they reckon that you should slacken the strings off a bit as well before they are sent.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah have done some reading and they reckon that you should slacken the strings off a bit as well before they are sent.
i wouldnt even bother with that, jsut as long as its a fitted case, it should be ok. I have an Ibanez J-CRAFT case, that is really heavy duty styrofoam, cut to the exact shape of the Jem, and covered in burgundy velvet ... nice !!

although i am gonna sell me Boss ME-50 any my Line6 amp, and just get new ones over there
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:46 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm guitar as a lethal weapon...I have heard of many people spontaneously commiting harikari in guitar shops when someone decides to demo a guitar by playing Stairway to Heaven.

Walking onto a plane clutching a club-shaped long wooden object whilst saying ' Im climbing the stairway to heaven ' is not advised. Within about 3 seconds you'll have the red-dot on your temple and be handcuffed to the toilet.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Don't pay any more than A$100 for a case that will see your guitar travel round the world for years.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

The case Percy Phlage was talking about is Hiscox and it survived fine. He got it from the guitar shop on Oxford Street in Manchester.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
The case Percy Phlage was talking about is Hiscox and it survived fine. He got it from the guitar shop on Oxford Street in Manchester.
Yeah spoke to a few friends and they reckoned the Hiscox was a fantastic case...so gone ahead and ordered one!

Thanks everyone for your help! Hopefully me and my strat will be together in one peice in Oz :-)
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Ta very much.
In my experience it's been hit and miss. I've phoned up beforehand, to enquire , and never got a definate answer. Once, I got to take it on as hand luggage, and the cabin crew found a spot on the plane to store it for me. Another time, I had to check it in as special sized luggage, where they put a handle with care sticker on it. Being a poor student at the time, I couldn't afford a hard case, so I had just wrapped it in bubble wrap inside the soft case. I had no problems, but my guitar wasn't very valuable either, so I wasn't as bothered as others may be.

Best thing if you're not sure is to arrive at check in as early as possible, as they tend to be more lenient then.
Jenny