Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Guildford....& train travelcards

Guildford....& train travelcards

Old Apr 24th 2005, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Default Guildford....& train travelcards

Hi,

Im interested in your views on Guildford.

Also, do you know if there is a travelcard for train travel that covers south london to Guildford? I know there is a travelcard that covers bus travel, train travel and tube, however thats in particular zones. Guildford is outside that zone. Is it expensive?

Thanks all!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 3:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guildford....& train travelcards

If your a student there is, don't know otherwise...and Guildford ain't bad, plenty to do out at night....though the last trains aren't very late was the only problem, but then that was heading back to staines/egham/windsor...might be better else where....fairly cheap though, but that was a few years ago now I guess
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Four years ago there was no travel card for travel from London to Guildford, but it was (and presumably still is?) possible to buy a season ticket for travel to London, and to add on a London travel card for unlimited travel in the London "zones" for only a relatively small additional charge.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:20 am
DarrenD

Originally Posted by SDER
Hi,

Also, do you know if there is a travelcard for train travel that covers south london to Guildford? I know there is a travelcard that covers bus travel, train travel and tube, however thats in particular zones. Guildford is outside that zone. Is it expensive?

Thanks all!
one of the most expensive places to live outsidelondon in the uk.

commuterville, most residents commute to london every day for work.

try http://www.thetrainline.com for times / prices.

Not on the london zones, but as mentioned, you can get a season / monthly ticket which can include london zones.

from memory, train goes from waterloo.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
If your a student there is, don't know otherwise...and Guildford ain't bad, plenty to do out at night....though the last trains aren't very late was the only problem, but then that was heading back to staines/egham/windsor...might be better else where....fairly cheap though, but that was a few years ago now I guess
I am not a student and hope that I won't be completely surrounded by students, and hopefully by a few around my age (34'ish) no offence to students, but its nice to meet people around my age.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a student and hope that I won't be completely surrounded by students, and hopefully by a few around my age (34'ish) no offence to students, but its nice to meet people around my age.

Well it ain't to bad, like already mentioned, it's a commuter town anyway....but it does have it's share of students and it ain't the cheapest place to get a pint either.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
and it ain't the cheapest place to get a pint either.
Hmm, how about a nice Baileys????
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hmm, how about a nice Baileys????
Can't remember, been a few years, but in my student days, a small glass was going £3
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I lived in Guildford from 1995 to 1999 (then moved to Bisley) and I could buy a travelcard up to London and back. Think it cost me about £10 for the day.

Guildford is a thriving town. Loads of pubs and clubs. There are lots of young people due to the university being in Guildford.

Shopping was fantastic.

Traffic was always a hassle though. It did get bottlenecked due to the one way system through the town.

And yes, it is expensive to live in Guildford.

I sold my flat just before the boom hit. Knew I should have waited a few more months
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:28 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

it is possible to get an all zones travel card but that would take you into the centre of london and out again cost about 12 quid after 9.30 in morning £20 before. it is just possible to travel outside of london by going guildford, epsom, sutton, west croydon but outside peak hours it takes three trains to achieve this with changes at epsom and sutton journey about an hour - travel card here would be cheaper as croydon is an outer zone but not sure how much cheaper. certainly annual season tickets for this route are hugely expensive at around £1600 p.a. and service is shoddy and operated by south eastern and not south west trains and is poorly supported.

Hi,

Thanks all!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:10 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaykay
And yes, it is expensive to live in Guildford.
Hubby used to work for McLaren and lodged in Guildford and it's not expensive - it's VERY expensive :scared:

Jen
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:28 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dugongs
it is possible to get an all zones travel card but that would take you into the centre of london and out again cost about 12 quid after 9.30 in morning £20 before. it is just possible to travel outside of london by going guildford, epsom, sutton, west croydon but outside peak hours it takes three trains to achieve this with changes at epsom and sutton journey about an hour - travel card here would be cheaper as croydon is an outer zone but not sure how much cheaper. certainly annual season tickets for this route are hugely expensive at around £1600 p.a. and service is shoddy and operated by south eastern and not south west trains and is poorly supported.
You can get weekly and monthly season tickets as well as the annual. Most of the slam door trains have also gone on SWTs. Guildford is on the Waterloo to Portsmouth line. You can also get the slow train to Wimbledon and link up with the tram.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
.... You can also get the slow train to Wimbledon and link up with the tram.
.... which goes to Croydon, slowly, or the tube which goes to Earls Court and Edgeware Road, or Tower Hill, Barking and Upminster without changing, or change at Earls Court for the Piccadilly line to the heart of the West End.