Panic buying

Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Panic buying

What a week...

Stamps are going up from 46 p to 60p on Sunday, so people have been stocking up.

VAT on take away food is to be imposed -so extra 20pct on a pasty. There has been a huge run on Greggs!

Now some idiot minister has told people to fill jerry cans and store them in their garage to combat the proposed tanker driver strike over easter.

What next? Fill your house with snow boots as they will be unavailable over (UK) summer?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:24 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panic buying

Originally Posted by Pomster
What a week...

Stamps are going up from 46 p to 60p on Sunday, so people have been stocking up.

VAT on take away food is to be imposed -so extra 20pct on a pasty. There has been a huge run on Greggs!

Now some idiot minister has told people to fill jerry cans and store them in their garage to combat the proposed tanker driver strike over easter.

What next? Fill your house with snow boots as they will be unavailable over (UK) summer?
And make their household insurance invalid It's bl00dy ridiculous, typical scaremongering, not helped by the papers, as usual, with their headlines. What the heck is the point of filling up this week, when the propsed strike is next week? Surely most of the people filling up will still need fuel in 7 days time? And the Army are in training to supply the fuel so why is it an issue?

Might give me an excuse to not visit the folks on sunday though
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

I can't repeat what we called Francis Maude last night on here - but it wasn't fluffy cute little bunny!

We're off on holiday for a week from Tuesday and today we got a call to say the wood burners out of action in the cottage we're renting!
Wondering if for the first time in my life I may need holiday insurance for a break in the UK ?

I think perhaps Francis Maude should be packed off to work in Macdonalds what a twit.
For starters there's a legal limit for petrol that can be kept in 'jerry cans' which are two 5 litre containers and we saw someone filling up a jerry can earlier that contained more than that! Do I need to mention the fire hazard? I shouldn't have to. He's caused total chaos!

An nothing would surprise me nowadays so this scare mongering could all be a way to line the governments pockets - unleaded sales up 81% and where does most of the money go that we pay on fuel?

It's just another headache I could have done without - inconsiderate so and so lol
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

So glad I'm not in the UK right now. Sounds as though things are getting pretty tough.
People always panic buy, and often cause the shortages they are trying to avoid by doing so, whereas if they only bought their normal rations there might not have been a shortage.

Mind you, I always make sure I have a pack of 18 loo rolls in my cupboard.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been through fuel strikes in both countries and come out unscathed Its not the end of the world.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Ive been through fuel strikes in both countries and come out unscathed Its not the end of the world.
But you would think the apocalypse was coming by the way the press describe it.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:30 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, its the press, its what they do.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Then you have the idiots that are watching the news and reading the papers and causing accidents trying to get to the pumps.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:40 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i thought every one is in celebratory olympic jubilee mood? might as well nationalise BP.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh..takes you back to those heady days of 2000! I think bad memories run deep which is why everyone is panicking.

However, being without petrol isn't easy, during that strike I had to pick up and drop off one of my staff that week because he had run out and public transport wasn't very easy from where he lived, luckily I had filled up before the panic set in so my tank lasted me the week. However, I did need some for the following week otherwise I couldn't have got to work and it took hubs 2 hours to queue up for some! Then it all got called off .....he wasn't happy!

I think we just can't cope these days without stuff, Telstra's internet went down for an hour or two a month or so ago, OMG....how can you cope without the internet? Actually I might get more work done
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

That is very true, as soon as we lose something 'essential' we run around wondering what we are going to do. We have become so reliant on things that years ago were luxuries, now we take them for granted and seemingly cant exist without them.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble in Pommytopia - who'd have thunk it
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Those headlines read like my last full winter in the UK. The Winter of Discontent 78/79.

People my age should cope easily, lots of this stuff in the 70's The 3 day week was a doozy.

It aint bad till Leceister Square looks like this IMO.

The surreal letters my then future wife wrote back to Aus would make for interesting reading today.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Stamps go up in price from 30th April, not this coming Sunday.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

My brother said the funniest thing was seeing Ed Miliband doing his interview about the petrol debacle from right outside a Greggs!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.