Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

andlouguyeli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Hi!

I am a Midwife and would like to move out to work and live in the USA and are at the moment living in Jersey in the Channel Islands, UK.
We are a family of four - wife & two children.

I am aware of the licensing that is needed to work as a midwife and also that as I am not a fully trained nurse I am at the moment limited to the states of New York, Rhode Island and New Jersey - although NY have said you have to be a citezen first - so a catch 22 there!

I am just a little baffled by what process is the necessary one and what sort of visa is the best approach.

It is very early days, but in an ideal world I would hope to come out next October for the midwifery conference and take the licensing exams then, with a view to hopefully making it out to America within the following year.

Is anyone laughing now? Am I expecting too much? Is the process much longer than that??

Can anyone tip me in the right direction ? I am guessing that the H1B will be no good as birthing centres are an unlikely sponser - but i could be wrong...

Are there any british midwives out there, recently moved over?

ANY advice, information is greatly received as I'm stumbling in the dark at the moment!

Thanks,

Andy
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Originally Posted by andlouguyeli
Hi!

I am a Midwife and would like to move out to work and live in the USA and are at the moment living in Jersey in the Channel Islands, UK.
We are a family of four - wife & two children.

I am aware of the licensing that is needed to work as a midwife and also that as I am not a fully trained nurse I am at the moment limited to the states of New York, Rhode Island and New Jersey - although NY have said you have to be a citezen first - so a catch 22 there!

I am just a little baffled by what process is the necessary one and what sort of visa is the best approach.

It is very early days, but in an ideal world I would hope to come out next October for the midwifery conference and take the licensing exams then, with a view to hopefully making it out to America within the following year.

Is anyone laughing now? Am I expecting too much? Is the process much longer than that??

Can anyone tip me in the right direction ? I am guessing that the H1B will be no good as birthing centres are an unlikely sponser - but i could be wrong...

Are there any british midwives out there, recently moved over?

ANY advice, information is greatly received as I'm stumbling in the dark at the moment!

Thanks,

Andy
www.allnurses.com

No expert, but I would think you need to get your nursing qualifications first.

What does Hubby do?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
www.allnurses.com

No expert, but I would think you need to get your nursing qualifications first.

What does Hubby do?
Sounds like Andy (the hubby) IS the midwife. He said it's a family of four - himself, wife, and 2 kids.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sounds like Andy (the hubby) IS the midwife. He said it's a family of four - himself, wife, and 2 kids.

Rene
Midhusband?

Ok then, what does the missus do.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Takes years even if a qualified nurse....there's been a few threads on the subject of nurses recently...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

mrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nice

hi Andy
I am also new to this excellent forum too and a RN, It is very, very tough (and very frustrating) to go to the US as a nurse. Definately look on the Allnurses.com website there is soooo much information on there, you will find it so helpful, I am also trying to move to the US and it is very tough to get in. I am looking at taking an additional examn (NCLEX) which is required to work in the US wherever you move to, so I am guessing you will probably have to take this too?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a registered nurse, with theory and clinical experience in: maternity, pediatrics, psychiatric, medical and surgical nursing before you can apply to sit the NCLEX exam.

I have never heard that a midwife can apply differently to the states you mentioned.

State requirements differ a lot, so it's best to decide where you're going and then check the state nursing board's website for their requirements. Most states have a lot of licensing info online.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say you are in for a bit of a shock.
As has been said check out All Nurses.com, a great informative site.We started the process over 3 1/2 yrs ago and everything went OK as the wife was all qualified BUT retrogression is here and without that lifting you will be looking at 6 + years before even getting a Green card under the EB-3 category.
We now have GC's but no job yet! So still in the UK.
Best of Luck but I warn you seriously, go look at Oz or Nz as the US is now and will be, a very lengthy process.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you have a job if you have a GC?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Why don't you have a job if you have a GC?
Because we are with a nursing agency who arranged a job last year which 4 months later fell through.We are now awaiting another job suitable to us in states(4) which we requested.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Because we are with a nursing agency who arranged a job last year which 4 months later fell through.We are now awaiting another job suitable to us in states(4) which we requested.
Any hospital in Florida will give her a job ..starting yesterday ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, the dreaded agency. Hope you get something suitable soon. What states are you looking at?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Any hospital in Florida will give her a job ..starting yesterday ...
And I'm sure you want that extra cover around the corner, just in case your ill again, eh Ray.! LOL
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
And I'm sure you want that extra cover around the corner, just in case your ill again, eh Ray.! LOL
Exactly ....
here's todays list of Jobs there ..

http://www.rmchealth.com/CPM/BP.htm

Tell the agency to sod off ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by augigi
Ah, the dreaded agency. Hope you get something suitable soon. What states are you looking at?
1st SC... 2nd NC... 3rd GA... 4th FL (for no other reason than its hot & hot & not cos of Ray LOL) But have been offered a couple but miles away and very cold, which is not what we want.Our original one was ideal but .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.