Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What happens if my visa runs out?

What happens if my visa runs out?

Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

gossage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens if my visa runs out?

Hi all

I have a PR and activated my visa in march 2007. So we now have our 2 years RRV. But due to work commitments and my sons apprenticeship we are not going to make the March 2009 deadline. Do you think we would be able to extend the RRV even though we havent been in NZ or do you think we will have to go through the whole process again to get PR? Will they even let you go through the process again if you have let your visas run out or will they think we are not really that serious about going?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

spudzlikeus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens if my visa runs out?

Hi
I have a similar issue, mine will be 2 years in August 2008...and I left NZ prematurely in April. I contacted the immigration people before I left to see what my options were. They told me I could not apply for a returning visa until my initial one was about to expire....and I would have to be in NZ to apply. They did say that I could get an extention of one year on it before i left in April. However I chose not to bother with this option as I know I will not be back within the 12 months...therefore it is of no benefit. If I took the 12 month visa extension...I would still have to build up 2 years again when I returned to get the indefinate returning visa...as the previous time served becomes void. (you must have been in NZ minimum 184 days per year in each of the previous 2 years when you apply for the indefinate one...hence the 12 month is of no use unless you really plan on long term..unlike me! Hope this helps
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

spudzlikeus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry..I have just re read your question...and have realised that I have misinterpreted it completely! You say you activated it in March 2007...which means you must have entered NZ in March 2007...how long did you spend there?There are various ways to keep the visa...if you can prove commitment there for eg. you have a house, a business there. If not then...I think you must re apply??
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:06 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think it was just a case of getting back here before the 2 year RRV deadline. Whilst on the 2 year probation period you have to satisfy certain criteria, like being in the country for so many days during the 2 yr period, or paying tax here, or owning a home. There was a list on the letter you would have had from immigration when they issued the PR. For a definitive answer, you should email NZIS and get some concrete advice on your options. Sorry, can't be more helpful.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

gossage is an unknown quantity at this point

When I activated my visa I only spent 3 weeks in NZ. I haven't been back since. The timing is just totally off for me. When I applied I didn't expect to be given PR so fast - 4 months from EOI to getting PR.

I have emailed the immigration officer I dealt with and I am waiting for a reply. To be honest I can't see them extending it at all and I will have to go through the entire process again.