Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American would love advice re:moving to England

American would love advice re:moving to England

Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:01 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Question American would love advice re:moving to England

Never mind....

Last edited by sile; Mar 12th 2012 at 8:36 pm. Reason: No responses
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

to want to move to UK you would need a little more patience than that.

3 hours> no responses> post removed.....you are expecting too much too quickly!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:45 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Yes, I was just composing another. I had thought that perhaps I posted in the wrong place because I am an American.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

I am thinking of packing up myself and my dog and moving to England. I am a single woman in her 50's, self employed and looking for a place that will feel like home. I have never been there but I feel that it well may be that place. I have read, studied, Googled, youtubed, and I am not just coming up with the idea...I have thought about it for years, and now is as good a time as any.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share with me about this kind of relocation.

People have suggested, and understandably so, that I vacation there first, but I wonder if I shouldn't just go for it.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say it's the wrong place but what exactly would you like to know? Do you have a visa? citizenship? a job placement? do you know anyone over there? family?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I think we were posting at the same time!!!

I would ABSOLUTELY suggest you go there on vacation and I think 99.9% of the people on this board would agree.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:58 pm
Banned

I am self employed so I don't need a job, no family, know no one there, am applying for Irish citizenship by descent which will give me the ability to live in the EU without a problem if I understand correctly, don't know about a visa. I have read about the different types and I am not sure. I think that if I come as a visitor then I can't apply for residency, but if I get my Irish citizenship before the six months is up I think I could stay, but I am not sure. That is something I would need some advice on.
I also would just like some feedback regarding the whole idea.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
I am self employed so I don't need a job, no family, know no one there, am applying for Irish citizenship by descent which will give me the ability to live in the EU without a problem if I understand correctly, don't know about a visa. I have read about the different types and I am not sure. I think that if I come as a visitor then I can't apply for residency, but if I get my Irish citizenship before the six months is up I think I could stay, but I am not sure. That is something I would need some advice on.
I also would just like some feedback regarding the whole idea.
What is it you think the UK will deliver? Which part would you go to?

Obviously your options will depend on whether you can get the citizenship.

It would seem sensible to visit first.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst this is a good place to ask...you'd probably be better off asking in http://www.uk-yankee.com/ which is geared towards USC's.

Though if you read threads in this forum and in the US forum, you'll an idea of what people come against being an expat, because although the language is the same and you think you might have a idea about life over there, you don't and you really can't take what you perceive from a holiday or from tele to equate to actually doing it.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't give it a shot

Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:22 pm
Banned

What I think the UK could deliver? Better weather ( don't laugh..I live in a place that has blizzards, below freezing temps, then tornadoes, then high, unbearable heat and humidity, then about a month of Fall), a safer environment, more culture, more civility, more natural beauty, pretty villages, history, a seemingly much kinder attitude towards dogs.it just appeals to me in every way.i don't know where I would go, that is something else I thought I could get some suggestions about. I know it would seem more sensible to visit first, but that is costly and I would have to leave my dog in a kennel. I am hoping someone here says it wouldn't be goofy to just move without visiting first.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Whilst this is a good place to ask...you'd probably be better off asking in http://www.uk-yankee.com/ which is geared towards USC's.

Though if you read threads in this forum and in the US forum, you'll an idea of what people come against being an expat, because although the language is the same and you think you might have a idea about life over there, you don't and you really can't take what you perceive from a holiday or from tele to equate to actually doing it.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't give it a shot

Good luck and welcome to BE.
Thanks very much! I have checked out that website..I will do it again. What I find interesting is that here, people who are from there actually confirm many if the things I have imagined being so great about England. They actually miss / appreciate the beauty, the nice , decent people,t he way of life. I realize that one never knows what it is like until you live somewhere.
I have to say, I am struck by just how lovely everyone posting here seems to be.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What I think the UK could deliver? Better weather ( don't laugh..I live in a place that has blizzards, below freezing temps, then tornadoes, then high, unbearable heat and humidity, then about a month of Fall), a safer environment, more culture, more civility, more natural beauty, pretty villages, history, a seemingly much kinder attitude towards dogs.it just appeals to me in every way.i don't know where I would go, that is something else I thought I could get some suggestions about. I know it would seem more sensible to visit first, but that is costly and I would have to leave my dog in a kennel. I am hoping someone here says it wouldn't be goofy to just move without visiting first.
Of course we love it and agree with all that but as bob says, moving countries is a big step and shouldn't be rushed into - especially if money is a bit tight. What about something like a house swap to keep the costs low and give you more of an idea of everyday life.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:51 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it! Take me with you!!!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Of course we love it and agree with all that but as bob says, moving countries is a big step and shouldn't be rushed into - especially if money is a bit tight. What about something like a house swap to keep the costs low and give you more of an idea of everyday life.
A house swap is not feasible right now, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think the thing that concerns me most is the culture shock possibility. I wonder if everyone goes thru that. I also wonder if the word "shock" is a bit much. I have never been to another country so I have no idea. Also, learning to drive on the other side of the road could be a bit daunting.

I wouldn't be missing anyone here, my immediate family has sadly all passed away in the last few years. I make friends easily. But again, I have never tried making friends in another country.

What I can tell you is there is so much that appeals to me about England that I truly think I would be happy there. But it is huuuugge leap. I guess I am looking for words of encouragement here.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A house swap is not feasible right now, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think the thing that concerns me most is the culture shock possibility. I wonder if everyone goes thru that. I also wonder if the word "shock" is a bit much. I have never been to another country so I have no idea. Also, learning to drive on the other side of the road could be a bit daunting.

I wouldn't be missing anyone here, my immediate family has sadly all passed away in the last few years. I make friends easily. But again, I have never tried making friends in another country.

What I can tell you is there is so much that appeals to me about England that I truly think I would be happy there. But it is huuuugge leap. I guess I am looking for words of encouragement here.
I couldn't in all conscience advise someone to just move to a country on the basis of what they imagine it will be like.

I think you need to find a way to visit and then you will be able to plan your move so much better.

You can probably get some good advice at the UK-Yankee site Bob quoted.

I do wish you lots of luck with your plans though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.