Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Registering UK caravan in France

Registering UK caravan in France

Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:17 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering UK caravan in France

There are some historic posts on this, one dating back to 2006 and from searches on-line it appears the matter is no less complicated.
Because, generally, UK caravans have more suitable spec, we would like to bring one over and register it here. One issue we had felt a problem was the main door being on the 'wrong' side for RHD France. However, this appears not to be the case, unless anyone can advise otherwise.
It is the need to have an independent Certificate of Conformity from the UK manufacturer, which on-line chat suggests isn't always available. Also chassis plating is different.
I did find a post elsewhere that our Prefecture in La Roche sur Yon is pretty inflexible as regards obtaining a Carte Gris, but this seems to vary across France (no surprise there).
So, I would welcome any advice on how to achieve the import and registration and what the authorities must have.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:13 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering UK caravan in France

Just remembered, I've posted an inquiry to the EU, so perhaps an answer in a few days.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:58 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Just remembered, I've posted an inquiry to the EU, so perhaps an answer in a few days.
Had a response from EU that I am happy to share, may post here though.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:31 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Okay this is the response with links. It is very positive and the suggestion is the EU won't tolerate independent attitudes of local Prefectures:
Please find below the reply to your enquiry. Please note that the advice given by Your Europe Advice is an independent advice and cannot be considered to be the opinion of the European Commission, of any other EU institution or its staff nor will this advice be binding upon the European Commission, any other EU or national institution.

First of all, we would like to point to your attention the following page of the Your Europe portal where the procedure is extensively described from an EU law perspective:
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz...s/index_en.htm (Registration > Formalities and documents)
The same rules apply to your caravan. Note that this information is intended for the private owner moving his private vehicle to another EU country.

In the light of that, obviously, in reply to your question, the French prefectures are not allowed to do what they want. As a matter of fact, the competent body is more the DRIRE than the prefecture, since it will be the DRIRE that will deal with the type-approval of the vehicle. For instance, as is contemplated by EU law, it will check that there is an EC certificate of conformity or otherwise verify concretely that the vehicle meets the conditions for type approval (“reception à titre isolé”).

See at this page (in French) the French procedure, as described on two different websites (one official, the other not):

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...ers/N367.xhtml (see the two relevant sub-headings, depending on your situation: “Immatriculation d'un véhicule neuf acquis à l'étranger” and “Immatriculation d'un véhicule d'occasion acquis à l'étranger”

http://www.mfe.org/index.php/Themati...-d-un-vehicule

If you experience difficulties with the registration in France of your caravan, and find that the French administrative practice does not conform to EU rules, please contact us again.

I have a reference number for my inquiry I can share if anyone requires this.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

badbobtwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined this site and would like to no more on this if you have any more info?
CHEERS
Robert
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:38 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by badbobtwo
Just joined this site and would like to no more on this if you have any more info?
CHEERS
Robert
Hi Robert, welcome, have you researched my earlier post links?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cjm
the French prefectures are not allowed to do what they want.
Really, and who exactly is going to stop them making it up as they go, the EU or the bloke who penned that reply, I don't think so !

Lots of big words and bluster but ultimately 100% toothless. The links are just the standard ones for registering any vehicle and as ever the CoC is the hurdle to be got over. Which side the door is on is completely irrelevant.

If towed behind a French registered car you of course cannot even legally get a UK caravan into France, if you have a UK regged vehicle to tow it with then caravan registration becomes moot