Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Consequences of possible US government shutdown...

Consequences of possible US government shutdown...

Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:01 am
Just Joined

jonnyryall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Consequences of possible US government shutdown...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...udget-deadlock

Anyone have any insight into whether this will affect overseas embassies and visa processing?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all
Default Re: Consequences of possible US government shutdown...

Originally Posted by jonnyryall
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...udget-deadlock

Anyone have any insight into whether this will affect overseas embassies and visa processing?
I've been concerned about this too. I read that during the 1995 shut down some 80,000 visas were delayed. I assume it would affect the London embassy but not those at NVC stage?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

I read this on an immigration forum:
While the diplomatic and security aspects of the Department of State (DOS) operations would continue, visa applications would likely not be processed in the event of a shutdown. It is anticipated that the consulates will not be open for visa appointments and processing. Thus, depending upon the duration of such an event, individuals could be stranded abroad with no way of obtaining required travel documents. The same is true for the processing of U.S. passports.

Let's all hope this doesn't happen
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joannabanana

Let's all hope this doesn't happen
Yeah seriously... That would be the icing on the cake of the whole visa process...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

it would seem the shutdowns typically last for a couple of days (according to an article I read) but the last one in '95 lasted 21 days!
I dread to think how many months that would set back our visa applications?!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

New Jersey Lass is an unknown quantity at this point

it would seem the shutdowns typically last for a couple of days (according to an article I read) but the last one in '95 lasted 21 days!
I dread to think how many months that would set back our visa applications?!
Hi Everyone,

I was doing some reading on this in my lunch hour and sacrificed a glorious afternoon in the park enjoying the sun.

Anyway....looks worth while as I found this article interesting and hopefully restores some hope that if this goes ahead USCIS will remain functioning. Have a read see what you guys think?

USCIS – USCIS has announced that, because it is funded by filing fees, it should remain open during a government shutdown. The operations of the four Service Centers should remain largely unaffected. Local USCIS District Offices should also remain open.

http://global-immigration-news.total...-consequences/
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, I did read that too, but then I read that consulates would be part of the shutdown, and I filed DCF. hmm, will have to wait and see.....
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

New Jersey Lass is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, I did read that too, but then I read that consulates would be part of the shutdown, and I filed DCF. hmm, will have to wait and see.....
Yeah I guess we just have to wait and see, I think I am in exactly the same position you are, filed DCF in london with date Dec 9th....the fact the website hasn't moved again all week does not fill me with Joy either. But on a positive note the sun is shining I suppose.

Keep me posted with your progress as we are 'Filing Sisters'
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Would there be an effect on citizenship applications too?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Would there be an effect on citizenship applications too?
N-400's are processed by USCIS, so if USCIS does not shut down, then no.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
N-400's are processed by USCIS, so if USCIS does not shut down, then no.

Rene
That's what i thought. Time to start putting my paperwork together then!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it won't happen but isn't it really the worst case scenario and not very likely to affect us, considering that it has only happened once in the past that it shut down for more than a few days? And even if it is for a couple of days what difference is this going to make to our pending applications? They shut down for holidays too. At least I hope it won't be so bad, I really don't want to be pessimistic any more...

Last edited by katq; Apr 6th 2011 at 5:44 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New Jersey Lass
Yeah I guess we just have to wait and see, I think I am in exactly the same position you are, filed DCF in london with date Dec 9th....the fact the website hasn't moved again all week does not fill me with Joy either. But on a positive note the sun is shining I suppose.

Keep me posted with your progress as we are 'Filing Sisters'
The issue is an interesting one. It pays to note that "DCF" is actually a misnoemer when it comes to London. A true "DCF" is when the "consular officer" adjudicates an I-130. ConOffs do not have DCF where there is a DHS office within the overseas post -- such as London.

Now, will the DHS office be affected by a shut-down in light of user fees? I have no idea.

BTW, the immigration courts were shut down in 1995 other than for emergency services for which a duty judge would be available. This actually made a lot of aliens happy.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Well after 16 months my CR-1 interview is scheduled at London in 3 weeks time.
So here's hoping for no closures or shutdowns or any other weird occurrences...
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

phew! they didn't shut it down after all yay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.