Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Convert US phone numbers to UK phone numbers

Convert US phone numbers to UK phone numbers

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

sallybina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convert US phone numbers to UK phone numbers

hey guys! I dont know if I am in the right place. but a fried of mine told me he did it here.... what is "it" anyway....
well i wanted to convert US phone numbers to local (UK) phone numbers, so that when i call I will be charge the same as if I was calling uk!
He does that, and he told me he did it here.

Thank You
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:33 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convert US phone numbers to UK phone numbers

Originally Posted by sallybina
hey guys! I dont know if I am in the right place. but a fried of mine told me he did it here.... what is "it" anyway....
well i wanted to convert US phone numbers to local (UK) phone numbers, so that when i call I will be charge the same as if I was calling uk!

Thank You
Sounds like the set-up for another of these little spam threads.

I'm sure another new user will be along any minute who will be surprisingly well informed on the subject.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:37 pm
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Thank You
Yep I did it

I simply went to www.spamorama.com and it gives you all the details.
No viruses, spam or genital enlargements.......honest :|
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You
You just use a UK credit card and your bill will be charged in pounds instead of dollars.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:21 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether or not this is spam-in-the-making, but several of the VOIP phone providers such as Vonage and Lingo include the UK as a free calling area and make it possible to get a UK phone number that others can use to dial you. And no, I don't work for either company.

I thought that this website also had some sort of affiliate providing a similar service, but it's been awhile since I've seen a reference to it.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:37 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the service offered by this website:
Your very own low-cost UK number, completely FREE from BritishExpats.com

All our numbers are low-cost 0844, 0871 or 070, so no expensive 09 Premium Rate Service calls appear on the UK phone-bill. Once registered, add, edit and delete numbers from your BritishExpats.com phonebook.
http://callme.britishexpats.com/

I've not used it, so I can't comment on it, but I'd bet that the folks at BE would like you to try it. But I think that if you go with one of the VOIP carriers that you could get a normal land-line number that would be cheaper for your callers to dial.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Here's a link to the service offered by this website:

http://callme.britishexpats.com/

I've not used it, so I can't comment on it, but I'd bet that the folks at BE would like you to try it. But I think that if you go with one of the VOIP carriers that you could get a normal land-line number that would be cheaper for your callers to dial.
I used it for a while. It was fine Occasionally the line was a bit dodgy. I also used jaja for a bit.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I use a US VoIP provider, I have a number in Oregon and a London number. My sons in the UK call the London number and use their inclusive cell phone minutes. The London number via my US provider is an extra $1.95 a month.

When I lived in London I had the same equipment and US VoIP provider, with just the Oregon number on it so family in Oregon could call us at local call rates, and we could call them at US local call rates.

If you just want a UK number look at a UK VoIP provider, I will not give details so that I not thought a spammer, but at least one can provide an incoming UK number for £1.95 a month. For a bit extra you can set it up so you can make UK calls at UK call rates.

Vonage is an expensive way of doing VoIP, there are a lot cheaper and just as good if not better providers out there.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 19th 2008 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Here's a link to the service offered by this website: http://callme.britishexpats.com/

I used it...no problem at all ,...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I use a US VoIP provider, I have a number in Oregon and a London number. My sons in the UK call the London number and use their inclusive cell phone minutes. The London number via my US provider is an extra $1.95 a month.

When I lived in London I had the same equipment and US VoIP provider, with just the Oregon number on it so family in Oregon could call us at local call rates, and we could call them at US local call rates.

If you just want a UK number look at a UK VoIP provider, I will not give details so that I not thought a spammer, but at least one can provide an incoming UK number for £1.95 a month. For a bit extra you can set it up so you can make UK calls at UK call rates.

Vonage is an expensive way of doing VoIP, there are a lot cheaper and just as good if not better providers out there.
Hi:

Just out of curiosity are you saying that the service in the UK [$4 in dollars] costs twice as much as doing it in the US [US$2].
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Just out of curiosity are you saying that the service in the UK [$4 in dollars] costs twice as much as doing it in the US [US$2].
Yes the company I had in mind charges £1.95 to have a UK number for just accepting calls, while the US provider I use here charges $1.95 for the same. Other US providers like Vonage charge a lot more for the same service.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the US company you use that gives a UK number for $1.95.
I am using Vonage and would gladly change.

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yes the company I had in mind charges £1.95 to have a UK number for just accepting calls, while the US provider I use here charges $1.95 for the same. Other US providers like Vonage charge a lot more for the same service.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I use the BE one, it works. I have to say that it does randomly call early in the AM some times, like 5:30-6:00, and then hang up after a couple of rings. I can tell it's the service because it says so on the account maintenance page and the only person who knows the number says they didn't use it. I also got some old woman call me up yesterday, obviously dialed wrong, she was trying to call somebody in Greece!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pony
whats the US company you use that gives a UK number for $1.95.
I am using Vonage and would gladly change.
Broadvoice http://www.broadvoice.com
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, the OP never followed up on their post.

This "Question:Answer" spam is a weird concept!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.