Reload this Page >

Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

kateireland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Hi all,
I am working in ireland as a hairdresser but i would love to go to australia for a year or maybe longer. it's not easy to get a good job over here and a lot of hairdressers are on 3 day weeks etc. Lots of people tell me its not like that in australia that theres plenty of work for hairdressers, but i'm not sure if theyre right. several hairdressers have told me (hope this doesn't offend anyone, i dont know if its true) that the standard of hairdressing in australia is quite low in general so irish and english hairdressers are big in demand. I'm newly qualified so not that experienced but I am good at what i do. I'd love to be brave and go but i'm afraid that when i get there i wont land on my feet. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's moved over there has any advice or could tell me how their experience was and if there is that many jobs there and did they find they were in demand as british hairdressers.
thanks
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: Are hairdressers in demand in australia

Originally Posted by kateireland
Hi all,
I am working in ireland as a hairdresser but i would love to go to australia for a year or maybe longer. it's not easy to get a good job over here and a lot of hairdressers are on 3 day weeks etc. Lots of people tell me its not like that in australia that theres plenty of work for hairdressers, but i'm not sure if theyre right. several hairdressers have told me (hope this doesn't offend anyone, i dont know if its true) that the standard of hairdressing in australia is quite low in general so irish and english hairdressers are big in demand. I'm newly qualified so not that experienced but I am good at what i do. I'd love to be brave and go but i'm afraid that when i get there i wont land on my feet. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's moved over there has any advice or could tell me how their experience was and if there is that many jobs there and did they find they were in demand as british hairdressers.
thanks
Hi
I moved out here in May and had a full time job within 48 hours a lot sooner than i expected but it helped me loads working
you are right the overall standard of ozi hairdressing is low but there are some good stylists here too. just go for it. have a look on seek.com.au a job web site
Good luck
Carl
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

karenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nice

Hi Carl, as you probably know hairdressing has been taken off the skills list so the 176 visa way in no longer stands. I just missed the deadline and am gutted, anyway it seems the only way in is for a company to sponsor you so do you know of any companies who do this ,or can you send me a few names of large hairdressing companies so i can email them my cv. Hope you are enjoying oz,and how is work there compared to here? karen
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I suspect Kate is probably under 30, given that she says she's newly qualified. If she is then she can go over on a working holiday visa and stay for up to a year on that visa (working for a max of 6 months with each employer). So perhaps that was her plan?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

In my almost two years in Aus I have not seen anything that would make me say the standard is any lower than I have experienced in working in South Africa (5 years) and UK (11 years). You get good ones and bad ones all over the world. You might struggle with obtaining a visa to work in Aus at the moment, rather check out your working holiday options or have a look at working on cruise ships too.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:49 pm
ejo
Just Joined

ejo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my name is joanne,im from ireland thinking of moving to Perth,have 20 years experience in hairdressing,had my own salon,im now teaching in a college.is there plenty of jobs out there?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Yes Joanne, plenty of jobs but the visa options are pretty close to zero these days.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Originally Posted by ejo
hi my name is joanne,im from ireland thinking of moving to Perth,have 20 years experience in hairdressing,had my own salon,im now teaching in a college.is there plenty of jobs out there?
hi there are loads of jobs here but the problem is getting a visa now good luck
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:30 pm
ejo
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for answering my question. I was over last March in perth and sat a trade's exam were I became austrailian registred and my level 3 was changed to a cert 3 in hairdressing,I know that I can get sponsered by a salon that I was in contact with when I was there. I think it was called the trades in demand list do you know much about this?How doe's your family feel living in aus, Im 37 and have 6 children 4 girls and 2 boys the eldest is 16 and is not keen on going. I just feel that you spend more time as a family out there it is getting like a rat race work and sleep , I think if I really want to go my husband will give in to the Idea.... I hope. I would be grateful if you could give me some Idea about what it is like moving and stuff, thanks Joanne.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jo,
got my visa a few years ago, but from what I hear hairdressing is off the list. Only way in is thru a sponsorship. Do check immigration website, I'm no expert. I earn about 40% less of what I earned in London, plus nobody tips here. I am 37 too and had my first baby last Dec, so now I work from home and it works better for me. But my husband earns well, so no stress to be a big earner. I dont know about coming over with 6 kids, phew. We have permanent residency and that means the state helps you with certain things, I dont know what you would be entitled to if you are sponsored for your job. Things are much more expensive here than we anticipated, dont know if we would ever be able to afford a house in Sydney, but we love it. The Aussies are less obsessed with climbing the ladder and collecting material stuff, they definitely have the work life balance right. Please do your homework before getting everybody's hopes up, it might be a difficult road. All the best.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ejo
Hi, thanks for answering my question. I was over last March in perth and sat a trade's exam were I became austrailian registred and my level 3 was changed to a cert 3 in hairdressing,I know that I can get sponsered by a salon that I was in contact with when I was there. I think it was called the trades in demand list do you know much about this?How doe's your family feel living in aus, Im 37 and have 6 children 4 girls and 2 boys the eldest is 16 and is not keen on going. I just feel that you spend more time as a family out there it is getting like a rat race work and sleep , I think if I really want to go my husband will give in to the Idea.... I hope. I would be grateful if you could give me some Idea about what it is like moving and stuff, thanks Joanne.
Hi Joanne.
Our visa (permanent residancy)was granted in Non 2009 and we came out to brisbane in may. life is bloody fantastic here i have the mrs Jenny and 4 kids 13, 11, 4, 1. they all love it here too. I was off the plane 48 hours when I had secured myself a full time job as a senior stylist. I am now the manager of the salon. in the uk i had two hair salons and ran a college too. hairdressing over here i think is different too!
the kids have settled into school really well and have made excellent friends within weeks.
we sold everything in the uk and just brought over a 23kg suitcase each. we still have our properties in the uk as that was our safety net in case we didnt like it here as we had never been to australia before.
we looked at it this way. we have always wanted to come here and never been. we decided we would come out here to give it a go if we dont like it then we go home at least we tried. it is better that sitting there in 30 years woundering "what if". we do love it here . we live in a place called Woody Point 30 mins north of the city. it is fantastic.
good look and hope you make the move. it is warm here at the moment. the time is 8.30 pm sat outside, I hear that there is snow and frost in parts of the uk!
also keeping in contact with friends and family is easy the world is a small place with the power of the inter. face book, skype, email etc
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:31 pm
ejo
Just Joined

Hi thanks for replying to me what made you choose Brisbane? what hours do u work how is it different do you seem to spend more time with the family? I feel life over here is getting like a rat race. I teach monday till wednesday and work in the salon thursday until sat. I understand I would still have to work in aus but at least u can plan a day out, here it is always raining we don't even seem to get a summer anymore, I like were I live but as u say it' better to have tried it than to regret it in years to come.Is there many salons in Brisbane are they much the same as here, are is the work different? I love what I do and would want to keep on hairdressing if Iwas to emigrate ,there is money to be made in the industry.Do people go to the hairdresser as much as In the uk? Sorry for asking so many Questions but It's good to find out as much info as possible,My husband is a bit scared about moving because of all the kids but I think in years to come they will thank us for it as there is no job prospects here anymore and It seems to be getting worse. I run the hairdressing salon in a beauty spa its called Gorgeous skin and beauty clinic and its on facebook if u want to have a look then see if there is any jobs going in that salon of yours no only joking I want to go to Perth as my sister lives there.So heres hoping that I can talk them all round.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

hanibugg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I have just recieved a student visa for a 3 year course in canberra, it is valid till march 2014, As per my visa I am allowed to work 20 hours a week, I will be leaving end of january hopefully and was wondering If doing a 2 or 3 month course in hairdressing here in the Uk would benifit me? I have heard that it is in demand and would rather work as a hair stylist than other odd jobs to support myself i.e security, taxi driver etc. I would be grateful if someone would advise me if this would be a viable option, thanks a bunch

P.S I need a reply asap because Im running out of time.

Last edited by hanibugg; Oct 28th 2010 at 7:31 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

To be completely frank with you, would you let someone touch your hair that has only done a 3 month course? Hell no! You will not get a job as a hairdresser with that little course, maybe as a shampoo person but thats it. My niece is a student here in Aus and she did a swimming teachers course and immediately started earning $21 per hour at her local pool. http://www.austswim.com.au/Teachers.aspx
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

hanibugg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rozellem
To be completely frank with you, would you let someone touch your hair that has only done a 3 month course? Hell no! You will not get a job as a hairdresser with that little course, maybe as a shampoo person but thats it. My niece is a student here in Aus and she did a swimming teachers course and immediately started earning $21 per hour at her local pool. http://www.austswim.com.au/Teachers.aspx
Thanks alot, I will look it up, but any Idea how long it takes to get one and exactly which training program did your niece take?

Also I noticed how we are going off topic, I apologize in advance to anyone who has a problem with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.