Vilamoura

Old May 28th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of
Default Vilamoura

Hi there

Advice on great places to eat, drink and visit not too far from Vilmoura. Not mad keen on the marina area - are there any nice restaurants we can take our daughters to not too far away that have a little more character and you don't feel you are being ripped off? Taxiable distance or walking? We have holidayed there before -usually to go walking inland and found some fantastic places. Our daughters and boyfriends are not likely to want to go walking although they quite like sight seeing. We would like to take them to some places with character.

We will be going over the border to Spain where we are buying our apartment and Tavira which we like, but ideas for the rest of the week welcomed! Particularly some good restaurants as we have often ended up paying a lot for rubbish meals in Vilamoura.

Carol
Old May 28th 2007, 12:04 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vilamoura

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
Hi there

Advice on great places to eat, drink and visit not too far from Vilmoura. Not mad keen on the marina area - are there any nice restaurants we can take our daughters to not too far away that have a little more character and you don't feel you are being ripped off? Taxiable distance or walking? We have holidayed there before -usually to go walking inland and found some fantastic places. Our daughters and boyfriends are not likely to want to go walking although they quite like sight seeing. We would like to take them to some places with character.

We will be going over the border to Spain where we are buying our apartment and Tavira which we like, but ideas for the rest of the week welcomed! Particularly some good restaurants as we have often ended up paying a lot for rubbish meals in Vilamoura.

Carol
Hi Carol
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry I cant help with that area.
I have always found it expensive to eat anywhere in Villamoura,Im afraid you are in the land of money over there!!!!
Hope someone can help
Cleri x
Old May 28th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Andre will become famous soon enoughPaul Andre will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Carol
Hi Carol,
Give me an example of the sorts of food you like and your dream meal / price.
I know you like walking, but you'll need to walk quite a way from Vilamoura to get the same type of meal at a fraction of the cost.
I would like to help, but the following would be good to know:
distance from Vilamoura?
type of food?
authentic Portuguese or Blackpool chic?
Cheers,
Paul
Old May 28th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul Andre
Hi Carol,
Give me an example of the sorts of food you like and your dream meal / price.
I know you like walking, but you'll need to walk quite a way from Vilamoura to get the same type of meal at a fraction of the cost.
I would like to help, but the following would be good to know:
distance from Vilamoura?
type of food?
authentic Portuguese or Blackpool chic?
Cheers,
Paul
Hi there

Done some fantastic walks about half to one hour out of Vilamoura - Alte, Silves, Loule, Benagil, Querenca etc. Ace local and authentic restaurants in some of those places but hard to find something similar in or around Vilamoura. We do have one favourite retaurant in Vilmoura which is set back from the marina - it is not cheap but none of them are and it offers an interesting menu. However we can't eat there for a full week. I really want some good local restaurants that we can either walk to in Vilamoura or a short taxi as we will want to be able to have a drink. We love fish - like to have a cataplana but basically I do not need to come to Portugal to have a Thai, Chinese, Indian meal etc. We sometimes go to Quartera to buy fish but don't know anything about the restaurants there. Any ideas?
Carol
Old May 29th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Andre will become famous soon enoughPaul Andre will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Done some fantastic walks about half to one hour out of Vilamoura - Alte, Silves, Loule, Benagil, Querenca etc. Ace local and authentic restaurants in some of those places but hard to find something similar in or around Vilamoura. We do have one favourite retaurant in Vilmoura which is set back from the marina - it is not cheap but none of them are and it offers an interesting menu. However we can't eat there for a full week. I really want some good local restaurants that we can either walk to in Vilamoura or a short taxi as we will want to be able to have a drink. We love fish - like to have a cataplana but basically I do not need to come to Portugal to have a Thai, Chinese, Indian meal etc. We sometimes go to Quartera to buy fish but don't know anything about the restaurants there. Any ideas?
Carol
Sorry Carol, I'm going to have to fold. My suggestions were going to be Indian, Chinese and MacDonalds on the Marina ring-road!
Unfortunately, I can't stand fish, and as for walking a long way to get to it - nah.
I do know of somewhere approx. 3 miles from the Marina which is very popular with Portuguese, and is definitely cheaper. It's a restuarant on the Academy Golf School site; most dishes between 6 and 10 euros. The house red is really nice, if you like full bodied and fruity.
If you take the road out of Vilamoura, towards Boliquieme it's a dual carriageway with land between the roads. After about 2 miles the road merges to two lanes; carry on along that road and turn right at the 3rd island. You're there.
If you turn right before the road merges, into the apartment zone, there's a Brazillian restuarant in there somewhere, I have been told is most excellent.
If you want well presented, quality food in a Bistro atmosphere that costs a bit more, then I would recommend the Vaults in Almancil.
The only tip I have for fish is that sardines should be eaten in June at some place next to the river in Portimao. Ask any Portuguese Sardine lover - they'll know where that one is. Wouldn't advise walking there though!
Good Luck.

Last edited by Paul Andre; May 29th 2007 at 1:45 pm. Reason: forgot to mention wine!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

This is not going to be a lot of helo but I ysed to go to Vilamoura quite a bit in the past. last time was about 15 years ago, even then I could never find anywhere there was a decent restaurant, I guess I have been spoiled by Fuengirolas supply of great reasonably priced restaurants.

Still I did like the place but I doubt i would know it now as I am sure it has been totally built up as the main building boom just seemed to be starting then.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spaino
This is not going to be a lot of helo but I ysed to go to Vilamoura quite a bit in the past. last time was about 15 years ago, even then I could never find anywhere there was a decent restaurant, I guess I have been spoiled by Fuengirolas supply of great reasonably priced restaurants.

Still I did like the place but I doubt i would know it now as I am sure it has been totally built up as the main building boom just seemed to be starting then.
Thanks Paul Andre and Spaino - it does not look as if Vilamoura is well known by BE forum users. Well we are due to make our visit soon and will try once again to explore what is local. I expect we will buy fish from the great fish market in Quartiera. It looks as if our genuine Portuguese meals will be eaten elsewhere. How Portuguese is the Cataplana? I am hoping that is a genuine cookpot from the Algarve. I bought one a few years ago in Loule and have developed quite a few different fish and shell fish meals from copying meals I have had on the Algarve.

Carol
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

This might be of interest:
http://www.insalatas.com/Cataplana.pdf
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Hiya, hope this catches you before you go.
There is a really good restaurant called 'Escondidinho' (hiding place - or words to that effect) - I might be wrong about the spelling! Its in Quarteria I think (or is it Albufera - I always get those two mixed up). We used to get a taxi from Villamoura Old Town which didnt cost much. The Taxi driver would recognise the name of the restaurant I would think.

Its traditional portuguese restaurant, usually only Portuguese in there, when we go in September.

Sorry to be so vague about the location, we havent been to Villamoura for quite a few years now. We always liked the 'cataplana' restuarant near to the marina, but it is expensive and, since we located to Tavira, not as good as some of the cataplana restaurants there.

Hope you have a good holiday. Saz1
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Torgut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saz1
Hiya, hope this catches you before you go.
There is a really good restaurant called 'Escondidinho' (hiding place - or words to that effect) - I might be wrong about the spelling! Its in Quarteria I think (or is it Albufera - I always get those two mixed up). We used to get a taxi from Villamoura Old Town which didnt cost much. The Taxi driver would recognise the name of the restaurant I would think.

Its traditional portuguese restaurant, usually only Portuguese in there, when we go in September.

Sorry to be so vague about the location, we havent been to Villamoura for quite a few years now. We always liked the 'cataplana' restuarant near to the marina, but it is expensive and, since we located to Tavira, not as good as some of the cataplana restaurants there.

Hope you have a good holiday. Saz1
Nothing that we cannot google:

Restaurante Escondidinho - Ferreiras
E.N. 125
Ferreiras
8200-559 FERREIRAS

t: 289571424

Btw, Ferreiras is close to Albufeira.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torgut
Nothing that we cannot google:

Restaurante Escondidinho - Ferreiras
E.N. 125
Ferreiras
8200-559 FERREIRAS

t: 289571424

Btw, Ferreiras is close to Albufeira.
Thanks Saz1 and Torgut (how did you arrive at that name?) Will see if I can find this restaurant!

Carol
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:52 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Vilamoura

We always liked the 'cataplana' restuarant near to the marina, but it is expensive and, since we located to Tavira, not as good as some of the cataplana restaurants there.Saz1
I knew there was a good reason for choosing Tavira. I just wish I could remember which of the various restaurants we have visited in the past served up the delicious black pork and clam cataplana.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

One of the many reasons indeed.

The OH loves the pork and clams dish and has had many excellent ones in Tavira, but I also cant remember specific restaurants.

Unfortunately, I think I have an allergy to clams, or it could have been overdoing the Vinho Verde . . . . one or the other.

Saz1
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:33 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the many reasons indeed.

The OH loves the pork and clams dish and has had many excellent ones in Tavira, but I also cant remember specific restaurants.

Unfortunately, I think I have an allergy to clams, or it could have been overdoing the Vinho Verde . . . . one or the other.

Saz1
Hi saz
I too am allergic :curse:
Makes me cross cos I love em!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:43 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Vilamoura

... or it could have been overdoing the Vinho Verde . . . . one or the other. Saz1
Never!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.