Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Brits living in SOuth Africa

Brits living in SOuth Africa

Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Simmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really nice
Smile Brits living in SOuth Africa

Hi All

This applies most to Brits living in SOuth Africa, my fiance recently migrated to South Africa to be with me and he sometimes feels lonely as he has no male friends around, We are a mixed couple and sometimes the reception from fellow South Africans is not so good and therefore he prefers to meet with fellow Englanders instead, Can any of you Brits help us on that aspect as to where we can go to meet with Fellow Brits so he can make a few familiar friends and feel more comfortable, Any help would be appreciated, thx
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

adygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really nice
Default Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Hi there Simmy
I have the same problem, I moved out to SA in March this year, with my SA husband. We live in a small town - Frankfort - Freestate - about 2hrs south of Joburg. I feel very lonely at times and would also love to meet fellow Brits! Just for a beer and a chat (and complain about the English weather!!!!) If anyone knows of any clubs etc where expats meet, I would love to know...

Originally Posted by Simmy244
Hi All

This applies most to Brits living in SOuth Africa, my fiance recently migrated to South Africa to be with me and he sometimes feels lonely as he has no male friends around, We are a mixed couple and sometimes the reception from fellow South Africans is not so good and therefore he prefers to meet with fellow Englanders instead, Can any of you Brits help us on that aspect as to where we can go to meet with Fellow Brits so he can make a few familiar friends and feel more comfortable, Any help would be appreciated, thx
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:53 am
Just Joined

michelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nicemichelle26 is just really nice
Smile Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Hi there!
I moved to South Africa last November with my husband who is South African. We live in Nelspruit (Mpumalaga) which is a lovely place but i do get lonely. A lot of my husbands friends are Afrikaans so i have been forced to learn as much as i can as fast as i can...! I am glad to find this website, i feel better already knowing that there are fellow Brits out there in the same boat!

Originally Posted by adygolder
Hi there Simmy
I have the same problem, I moved out to SA in March this year, with my SA husband. We live in a small town - Frankfort - Freestate - about 2hrs south of Joburg. I feel very lonely at times and would also love to meet fellow Brits! Just for a beer and a chat (and complain about the English weather!!!!) If anyone knows of any clubs etc where expats meet, I would love to know...
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Hi,
I'm and expat South African living in UK.

Feel for you guys especially "Michelle" and "adygolder" as you are living in traditionally very Afrikaans areas. Don't get me wrong they are great people but as English you'll find the culture quite different. My wife is Irish and while living in larger cities like JHB,Pretoria and Durban we "attached" ourselves to "the Irish association" and "Calidonian society". I think in the areas you are you might be out of luck but don't take my word for it.

I think you need to push your other half to help get into South African life. Men especially tend to overlook how difficult it can be to get a circle of friends anywhere let alone another country. If you put your mind to it you'll be surprised how soon it all changes and as I said before they are really good people and once "you're in" you've friends for life.

Good luck.
Bruce.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I agree. The predominantly Afrikaner areas are very insular, and many act as though they're still fighting the Boer War, at times! You'll find it tough as a foreigner, even in a largish city like Pretoria for example, to fit in, especially if you don't speak the language.

I hope your situations get sorted out soon.

I think you need to push your other half to help get into South African life. Men especially tend to overlook how difficult it can be to get a circle of friends anywhere let alone another country. If you put your mind to it you'll be surprised how soon it all changes and as I said before they are really good people and once "you're in" you've friends for life.
Just fetch and carry non-stop for him you mean?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Simmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really nice

Hi Michelle/Adygolder

Sorry to only respond now, haven't been to this site in a while, after not getting much response I kinda gathered nothing was gonna come out of it. We are in JHB and it seems both of you are also a bit far off, all the same if we ever get to travel that way I would be sure to let you ladies know and maybe we can meet or something, would be nice.

I must say though that it is really difficult for my partner here, he hasn't made a single friend on his own and the only friends we have are another couple which the lady is Scotish (a friend of mine) and the husband is Portugese, they are mostly the people who spend time with and do stuff with, so it would be nice to increase our circle of friends and get to live more. Please feel free to write me anytime and I will definately respond.

Regards
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brits living in South Africa

Hi Michelle/Adygolder

I must say though that it is really difficult for my partner here, he hasn't made a single friend on his own and the only friends we have are another couple which the lady is Scotish (a friend of mine) and the husband is Portugese,
Regards
As a South African I found in the many years that by visiting pubs after work, in almost any city or even smaller towns, you will find UK citizens.
I think that you need to just get to more pubs and you will find collections of English. Portuguese are easier to find, just go to a Porta restaurant, which are also everywhere and easy to find. Good food and generally good fun too!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sa2oz
As a South African I found in the many years that by visiting pubs after work, in almost any city or even smaller towns, you will find UK citizens.
I think that you need to just get to more pubs and you will find collections of English. Portuguese are easier to find, just go to a Porta restaurant, which are also everywhere and easy to find. Good food and generally good fun too!
HI, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated, I'm assuming you are in NZ now, where are you from in SA, we are in JHB Northern Surbubs and therefore I would like to know ie if you have any idea of any places in JHB we could go where we are most likely to bumb into other brits around JHB. I'm not used to pub life as a woman but I have suggested to my partner to visit a few pubs on his own as we have at least two closeby, I think he stands a far better chance of making friends if he goes there on his own as opposed to going with me, is that a right assumption? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

HI, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated, I'm assuming you are in NZ now, where are you from in SA, we are in JHB Northern Surbubs and therefore I would like to know ie if you have any idea of any places in JHB we could go where we are most likely to bumb into other brits around JHB. I'm not used to pub life as a woman but I have suggested to my partner to visit a few pubs on his own as we have at least two closeby, I think he stands a far better chance of making friends if he goes there on his own as opposed to going with me, is that a right assumption? Any advice would be appreciated.
I am in Queensland Australia now and lived in the east side near the airport. Edenvale Kempton Park and worked in Midrand.
As I have not been in the Northern suburbs for a few years I am not sure, but I have asked some friends of mine in JHB to let we know and will report back. Him on his own, I am not sure but I more men than women generally visit pubs in RSA as you know. I am not really a drinker but enjoy people watching, so a drink whilst being entertained every now and again was good.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:44 am
Just Joined

adygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really niceadygolder is just really nice

Hi there
We're not far from JHB - and hour a half - so if you're ever down our way, please feel free to drop in - just email me and let me know. Is your husband working? I've just started one day a week - I have my 2 year resident permit now, but no work permit. And am trying to set up a bank account - any tips on how to do this without having an ID book?!

Must say one of the things I miss most is our local pub, where i know i can walk in and see someone i know and have natter and a drink (or two!)

Hi Michelle/Adygolder

Sorry to only respond now, haven't been to this site in a while, after not getting much response I kinda gathered nothing was gonna come out of it. We are in JHB and it seems both of you are also a bit far off, all the same if we ever get to travel that way I would be sure to let you ladies know and maybe we can meet or something, would be nice.

I must say though that it is really difficult for my partner here, he hasn't made a single friend on his own and the only friends we have are another couple which the lady is Scotish (a friend of mine) and the husband is Portugese, they are mostly the people who spend time with and do stuff with, so it would be nice to increase our circle of friends and get to live more. Please feel free to write me anytime and I will definately respond.

Regards
:
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All

Can any of you Brits help us on that aspect as to where we can go to meet with Fellow Brits so he can make a few familiar friends and feel more comfortable, Any help would be appreciated, thx
A friend finally got back to me and mentioned The Blue Goose and O'Hagans in Cresta. Sorry for the delay.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sa2oz
A friend finally got back to me and mentioned The Blue Goose and O'Hagans in Cresta. Sorry for the delay.

Hi sa2oz

Thanks a bunch , we will be sure to check it out, he flew out to England last night for two weeks, when he gets back we are definately checking it out and hopefully this will be the beginning of something good for him.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi sa2oz

Thanks a bunch , we will be sure to check it out, he flew out to England last night for two weeks, when he gets back we are definately checking it out and hopefully this will be the beginning of something good for him.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated
I had a response from a guy I know in UK who worked in South Africa for a few years (about 8) and still travels there to visit friends.
Here it is verbatim
"Pubs in the Northern Suburbs.
The best bet if he likes sport and wants to meet people of the Pom extraction is the Rio Slam on Wittkoppen Rd,
it used to be the Grand Slam. Tt's a good crack there.
If he wants a smaller place, then Tornados at the Olivedale shopping centre is a good one, just down the road from the Olivedale Clinic.
I usually meet there on a Saturday to watch Football ( thats Soccer to you colonialists!).
My local is the Gathering of the Clans at the Douglasdale Shopping Centre but its a bit rough. Then again my daughter thinks that all the pubs I go to are rough!
She prefers the O'Hagen pubs but they arent real pubs.
Hope this helps him."
Hope this helps
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Duane W is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a O'Hagens or a Keg on almost every street corner in the Northern Suburbs. I live in Sundowner right by The Dome (Northgate shopping centre)

I am not much of a drinker but if you PM me I am sure I can make a plan to have a drink or 2.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Is Late Night Al's still around? Always fancied it. Good food and the atmosphere was pretty lively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.