Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Tonya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

What is the best way to watch the BBC and ITV from the USA.

You can log onto BBC iplayer but it knows your location and will not allow you to watch.

I am told you can go though servers that make the BBC & ITV site think you are in the UK. I have found some site but wonder if anyone knows of a reasonable and reliable service

Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:21 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

This was posted on a thread on the "Moving Back to the UK" forum on BE and the poster (who lives in New York) is very happy with it as there is access to all UK channels and no delays:

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/

It costs 5 pounds a month but she says it's better than Expat Shield (which has no access to Channel 4 and doesn't work on a Mac)

(original comment is on post #2669 here....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...01116&page=178)

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This was posted on a thread on the "Moving Back to the UK" forum on BE and the poster (who lives in New York) is very happy with it as there is access to all UK channels and no delays:

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/

It costs 5 pounds a month but she says it's better than Expat Shield (which has no access to Channel 4 and doesn't work on a Mac)

(original comment is on post #2669 here....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...01116&page=178)

Hope this helps!
Thanks, just signed up and about to give it a try

All the best
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonya
I am told you can go though servers that make the BBC & ITV site think you are in the UK. I have found some site but wonder if anyone knows of a reasonable and reliable service
Best one I have found is ibvpn.com. A subscription to the UK-only based servers is only $20 for 6 months. Works with all the UK's catchup TV services including iPlayer.

I often listen to radio 5 live (live) and watch iPlayer stuff etc.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are a million threads on this subject, all over this forum, that'll give you endless options.

Many of them are free.

What the best options are depend on what you're looking for...live? something you can time shift? Sports? Stuff to watch on your ipad/phone? On a Mac?

Expat Shield, Tunnel Bear, Liberty Hero for the free VPN options...then there are the other p2p streaming sites, then there's torrents etc, etc, etc.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I just signed up for Tunnel Bear. It's $5 per month for unlimited. I'm happy with it.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advise, i have signed up with My Expat Network and so far all is excellent.

Download times is great with BBC I Player and the instant view has no buffering. I watch a film for nearly two hours with no interruptions. it is $7.50per month but you can cancel at any time.

thanks
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I hope it's good for that price, more than double what ibvpn costs.

I downloaded 4 hours of iPlayer HD content in less than 2 hours via ibvpn this afternoon.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Wow I hope it's good for that price, more than double what ibvpn costs.

I downloaded 4 hours of iPlayer HD content in less than 2 hours via ibvpn this afternoon.
so far all is good, have been watching and downloading continually since I signed up with no problems. We have missed the British tele, great to be able to watch again.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:26 am
Just Joined

MumoJumo is an unknown quantity at this point

BBC on time Warner is fairly good. Use internet radio to get your favorite local stations.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Is it true that if we get vpn to watch Brit tv, all the vpn users will be connected to one another via pc. hubby says this is the case, I don't understand it though.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
Is it true that if we get vpn to watch Brit tv, all the vpn users will be connected to one another via pc. hubby says this is the case, I don't understand it though.
I'm not much of a techie but that doesn't sound right to me. The VPN that expats tend to use is one that creates a secure tunnel to a server in the UK - I doubt that would connect you to other PCs using the same server because it hasn't been set up that way. Your hubby is probably thinking of an office vpn like the one I use which does connect you to other PCs on the office network remotely.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I'm not much of a techie but that doesn't sound right to me. The VPN that expats tend to use is one that creates a secure tunnel to a server in the UK - I doubt that would connect you to other PCs using the same server because it hasn't been set up that way. Your hubby is probably thinking of an office vpn like the one I use which does connect you to other PCs on the office network remotely.
He may also be thinking of torrents, where files are shared between users. So they are all somewhat connected when seeding/leeching off each other.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

No.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

They are no more connected together than a computer (or any other device) is connected to all the other computers on the Internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.