Al Khobar

Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Nick656 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Khobar

Hi, I'm about to move to Al Khobar from the UK in Janaury and was hoping for some advice on finding a single man apartment in a secure compound. Any advice would be great.
Also, is there a big social scene on the compounds?

Many thanks in advance

Nick
Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Khobar

Originally Posted by Nick656
Hi, I'm about to move to Al Khobar from the UK in Janaury and was hoping for some advice on finding a single man apartment in a secure compound. Any advice would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Nick
Welcome Nick
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance

Nick
It used to be difficult to find a place in a good compound, but I don't know the situation this year to be honest. There is a restricted social scene is some of the bigger compounds (like Oasis Gardens). Some things don't change though, and the compound managers usually like to maintain imaginary waiting lists to enable them to only accept tenants they like or have something in common with.

However, if you enjoy other activities than eating fast food and walking around shopping centres I would encourage you to live in Manama and commute. There are bars, cinemas, women without abayas and generally it is a nicer place...

i'm sure some other people will answer as well, but if you have specific questions feel free to ask. I will do my best..
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:59 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the Magic Kingdom accommodate single men in a western compound? In my day, it was strictly families only. Good luck. Why not try squeezing your employers for a multi-entry/exit visa so you can reside in Bahrain like many other single westerners working in Khobar/Damman?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
Does the Magic Kingdom accommodate single men in a western compound? In my day, it was strictly families only. Good luck. Why not try squeezing your employers for a multi-entry/exit visa so you can reside in Bahrain like many other single westerners working in Khobar/Damman?
Have you seen the traffic from / to Bahrain. I dont fancy that every day. I'm after a nice clean compound where a bus load of nurses visit every week. Not to much to ask for.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:25 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance

Nick
I stayed for two months at the Rezayat bachelor hotel compound (or a previous one) in 1994. The food was excellent. Try and get one of the rooms in the two-storey block that surround the swimming pool. Rooms have satellite TV, queen size beds (don't know why !). There is a gymnasium, snooker room, squash courts and more. Find out more from:

http://www.rezayat-catering.com/khob...ommodation.jsp
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:46 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the traffic from / to Bahrain. I dont fancy that every day. I'm after a nice clean compound where a bus load of nurses visit every week. Not to much to ask for.
The traffic is actually fine most of the year. Takes me 35 minutes in the morning and 55 minutes in the evening. This is a small price to pay for freedom. Also it is actually less than my commute was in London....
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MacScot
I stayed for two months at the Rezayat bachelor hotel compound (or a previous one) in 1994. The food was excellent. Try and get one of the rooms in the two-storey block that surround the swimming pool. Rooms have satellite TV, queen size beds (don't know why !). There is a gymnasium, snooker room, squash courts and more. Find out more from:

http://www.rezayat-catering.com/khob...ommodation.jsp
Thats great, thank you. How did you find the social life there?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
Yes, depends on the compound and nationality but in KSA single Brits are usually OK anywhere. The problem at the moment is availability. Lots of expats and not enough accomodation.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:05 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I was on a project - worked hard - social life was the compound, snooker, swimming, tennis - but no beer! Went with Dutch expats to Bahrain at the weekends for drinks. I went to a rugby social club that British and Dutch frequented (can't remember the name). Otherwise I had a good time at the Gulf Hotel, good British bar, dart boards. Also dancing clubbing there for younger folk at the weekend.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

I was recently transferred from Riyadh to Khobar. So far I haven't managed to find the social scene here. I don't really know anyone except my colleagues who aren't much for adventure or getting out. If anyone wants to be friends with a fun young American guy, or if you're aware of any social events or clubs I could have access to, please shoot me a message!

Also, this is a long shot, but if you happen to be in need of a DJ for a party, I work for free

Hi, I'm about to move to Al Khobar from the UK in Janaury and was hoping for some advice on finding a single man apartment in a secure compound.
Nick
Sorry, forgot to mention: I live in a single unit on a small compound and I'm pretty sure there are rooms available. I have no idea what the prices are like, but I can get you some contact info if you're interested. The compound isn't very lively but the rooms are nice enough. It's called Al-Falak.

Last edited by yrsammit; Dec 22nd 2010 at 5:21 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:34 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
I was on a project - worked hard - social life was the compound, snooker, swimming, tennis - but no beer! Went with Dutch expats to Bahrain at the weekends for drinks. I went to a rugby social club that British and Dutch frequented (can't remember the name). Otherwise I had a good time at the Gulf Hotel, good British bar, dart boards. Also dancing clubbing there for younger folk at the weekend.
Dilmun Club?
Old Dec 24th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

holliday is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks in advance

Nick
Commuting from Bahrain on a daily basis in my humble opinion is difficult. The reason for this is that whilst most of the time it is a 50 minute journey, there are days when it is 3 or 4 hours, and the problem is that you never know when this is going to happen. My recommendation is to find a single person apartment here in Al Khobar and then go to Bahrain on a weekend if necessary.

There is a good network of Brits over here, and as everyone is in the same boat, just go up to them and get chatting and you will probably find people going off raod desert trekking etc
Old Dec 24th 2010, 10:21 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Dilmun Club?
May have been, just can't remember, so long ago.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 10:24 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by yrsammit
I was recently transferred from Riyadh to Khobar. So far I haven't managed to find the social scene here. I don't really know anyone except my colleagues who aren't much for adventure or getting out. If anyone wants to be friends with a fun young American guy, or if you're aware of any social events or clubs I could have access to, please shoot me a message!

Also, this is a long shot, but if you happen to be in need of a DJ for a party, I work for free

Sorry, forgot to mention: I live in a single unit on a small compound and I'm pretty sure there are rooms available. I have no idea what the prices are like, but I can get you some contact info if you're interested. The compound isn't very lively but the rooms are nice enough. It's called Al-Falak.
I forgot to mention the Aramco expats forum, some of the Saudi Aramco expats live in Al Khobar as well as Damman - perhaps a good source of what's on:

http://forum.aramcoexpats.com/index.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.