Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Local school or international school in Singapore

Local school or international school in Singapore

Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:40 am
Just Joined

rashminbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Local school or international school in Singapore

Hi All, moved to Singapore recently from London and have been looking at schools. I would like any advise for my 2 daughters age 14 and 9 if local school would be suitable or not. Children are not here yet. Any expat from UK have their children in local school?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local school or international school in Singapore

Hi rashminbs

My kids (aged 7 and 4) were in local schools until recently. We've just moved over the border to Malaysia as we're buying a house here and they'll now be going to Marlborough College when it opens later this month.

My son was in the Singapore school system from K1 to half way through P2. I think for younger kids it's a good system. It is very different though to what most expats are used to - but don't listen to all the negativity which usually comes from expats who've never set foot in a local school and just carry on the rumours.

That said - I also have friends who came here with teenagers and they've now been in the local secondary school system for two years. They have really struggled and have had to be held back which can't be good for their confidence. I think for older kids it might just be too much of a change.

International schools do have their issues too - they're certainly not perfect just because you're paying huge fees - but I think for older kids it may be an easier transition when they're already dealing with moving to another country.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:10 am
Just Joined

rashminbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thanks for the reply. Your comments are valid and I agree as I am more concerned about my older daughter than younger one.
Anyone else from UK have any experience of local schools ?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rashminbs,

Was tooling around on the Malaysia forum but ended up in Singapore! My daughter is in Primary 2 at a neighbourhood local school in the Tanglin/Alexandra Road area. She has been there since P1 and loves going to school. She has made friends, both Singaporean and international. There are kids from India, Ireland, Japan, Myanmar, Netherlands, Philippines, Spain, Thailand, UK, and US at her school. I must admit that Maths and Chinese are a challenge for her, but she takes it all in stride, we help her out as best we can, she's not too stressed about it, and neither are we... Her form teacher and the principal at her school are easily accessible via email and mobile. A neighbourhood school tends to be more open-minded than any of the top ten local primary schools in Singapore (which is another story!). I agree with Bocat, for younger kids, it's a good system- a little discipline and rigidity never hurt anyone! And for the price we pay, which is definitely a drop in the bucket compared to international schools, we save a substantial amount (our plan is to enrol her in an IS for Secondary school). Another thing is, if your 9-year old joins in mid-stream i.e., P3 or P4, she can be exempted from having to learn Mother Tongue---Mandarin, Bahasa, or Tamil---as mandated of all children entering primary school. That would surely be one less stress off her. I'm sorry I haven't heard anything about expat teenagers in secondary schools though. In the end, however, whatever school your choose, you'd like to send both of them to the same one as planning the summer holidays will be a pain if one does local and the other international! Good luck!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Kimmylance is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi rashminbs,

Totally agree with them. Abit of discipline and rigidity never hurt anyone. My children is in Nanyang and they love it there. I've drop you a message in you inbox to share with you my experience.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:24 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rash might need 1 or 2 more posts to access PM function. Rash just stick a couple of things on here.. should do it
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Kimmylance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think Rash might need 1 or 2 more posts to access PM function. Rash just stick a couple of things on here.. should do it

Thanks Bakedbean, can Rash read my PM to him? Just wondering.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno... prob need get to 3 posts or more.

Hey Rash... how's life here? C'mon couple a posts should do it. (he's prob busy, just moved)
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

taylor11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm currently also facing this problem. Deciding whether or not to send my son (aged 7) to a local or international school… I would be staying at the Lakeside area, and the nearest international school in singapore would be Canadian International School. Any reviews of CIS or the local lakeside schools?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Mstulip is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise how we go about applying for local school. Xxx
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here Mstulip:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...onal-students/

Not sure what age your child/children are but here are the details for the P1 registration:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...ration/phases/
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

ctfarrer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also in the same situation as the people above and can't message anyone directly as I only just joined the forum... (excuse me but will try and post 3 messages to see if I can then message others)
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

ctfarrer is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be working around the Admiralty area, husband will be probably working in the city (no job yet), any ideas on good areas to consider living with good local schools? My eldest is almost 4 and I want to look at local kindergarten and schooling as why move to SG if my son doesn't get exposed to local friends and local language etc??
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by ctfarrer
I am also in the same situation as the people above and can't message anyone directly as I only just joined the forum... (excuse me but will try and post 3 messages to see if I can then message others)
It should be working now
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:46 am
Just Joined

matti33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have a 6 year old daughter who is going to 7 in January. What is the process to enroll her in a local primary school in Singapore? Is there a test that she would have to do? or is it based on the area that we would live in?

Thanks
Matti33

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.