Riyadh Compunds

Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Duffster is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Riyadh Compunds

Hi looked at couple compounds in Riyadh last week so here's my quick summary:

Al Hamra - The person I met with said this years prices are 10% higher than last year (just gone up a couple weeks ago). Wait list quoted for a villa is 4-6 months and I would have been number 75 on the waitlist. They do try and purge the list every couple weeks. There are also VIP villas but these very rarely come available as mostly long-term lease by companies. Overall very impressed with the compound and it's facilities plus fact that kids can walk to British School is major positive. As people periodically ask about their prices I've attached current price list.

Cordoba - When compared to Al Hamra this place looks poorly maintained and has much fewer facilities. Not helped by sales guy full of BS who said waitlist 12 months and price 10% lower than whatever Al Hamra charges "because owned by same company". He also more or less confirmed that waitlist doesn't work as you have to keep calling and if you reach him on day something comes up, you'd probably get it!

Arizona - Very nice and facilities on par or better than Al Hamra. Also has a driving range and golf course. There is a horse (in keeping with the Arizona theme ) and when they hire someone will offer riding lessons. Large proportion of American residents and place had a slightly "snobby" feel about it. Prices provided on application which I never filled in so don't have. Don't expect much change from 4-500k SAR for a 3 bed villa. Was shown the show-home for the new compound called "California" that they're building and hope to have ready for 2013. Very nice and modern compared to everywhere else.

Kingdom - Never got to this place, but it's supposed to be as good as Al Hamra and slightly newer; albeit 100k SAR less expensive! Kingdom's reasonable price explains the 20 month waitlist I was quoted and told not accepting any new registrations!

What I hadn't fully appreciated before going to any of the compounds was the security you had to go through. Each had 2 perimeters with very visible barriers and national guards. They look like they are there more for show - the guards didn't look very alert, vehicle inspections were extremely casual, etc. If the threat level went high, I'm not sure I'd expect much from the guards themselves..

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Riyadh Compunds-al-hamra-2011-prices.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Duffster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh Compunds

Forgot to mention Al Hambra said they provide a refund of balance paid providing you give 2 months notice. Cordoba and Arizona said no refunds no matter how much notice you give. Expect some terms can be negotiated or best if you can get company to take out lease in their name. Mike.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh Compunds

Pretty good summary, there was a post last year that also listed telephone numbers and prices, maybe if some dear soul could combine the two, it would make an excellent 'Sticky' for all new comers to Riyadh.

We're on Cordoba, and the 'older' feel is probably true, but I like it enough, ended up in a very large 3 bed villa, too big for just the two of us, but the company provided it, and as we're not paying it seems fine to me!

Would have been good to include Kingdom, as I've heard this is very nice, not managed to get there yet either. Arizona are in the process of building a brand new compound ( called California ) , next door and right in front of Cordoba. Have been to see the scale model and the show apartments, looks very nice indeed - but this will be apartments only, mix of 1 , 2 and 3 beds - no villa's. Also won't be ready for at least another year.

Also visited a new compound out on the Qassim highway, next door to Al Yamamah University, again looks nice, mix of 2 bed apartments, 3 and 4 bed villa. Forget the name of it though, but not far from being finished.

cheers.

Last edited by nottmbantam; Jan 30th 2011 at 3:48 am.