Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Picking up every bug!

Picking up every bug!

Old May 24th 2008, 11:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Picking up every bug!

I don't know what the hell is wrong with us.

Mr PP is on his second cold, he rarely gets them and is feeling so drained.

The other week I had to go to the doctors for the worst headaches ever - left me drowsy. They always got worse before a thunder storm and would get better afterwards as though someone had lifted a weight off my head. Doctor reckoned it was the change in weather and something to do with the pressure, she had seen it loads in migrants. Then quite suddenly, they disappeared.

Each time I eat meat I get stomach cramps, I mean I am in Australia so why should the food upset me?

And now, my chest is hurting to breathe in as though I am getting a chest infection and I feel knackered.

I used to get one cold a year in the UK and food never upset me.

We have been here for about 10 weeks and we felt so healthy, why is it we are coming down with everything going?

It's rather funny because if we had the current Perth temperatures in the UK, I would be in a T shirt.

Yet here and now, we are freezing cold and even the cat is feeling the cold. Mr PP wraps him in a blanket and the cat refuses to move.

It seems to have affected all 3 of us - cat included and I can't explain why we are picking up every bug/cold now and not when we first landed.

I look quite ill, dark circles and suitcases (not bags) under my eyes but my face is quite brown so its not all bad

What on earth has happened to our immunity? I reckon we left it behind at Heathrow.

Anyway I am mega pissed off as I wanted to go bike riding tomorrow but I can't because my chest hurts and I feel like I am coming down with something.

We are also planning a trip to Kalgoorlie - flying up and train back for the experience, just hope we are well enough to do it.

So much to see, so much to do, a job that I am actually liking and one that challenges me for a change, yet I am feeling really under the weather.

Please tell me that it isn't just me that got sick after emigrating, anyone else feeling crook?

This is so not fair, Mr PP said he feels drained as well.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking up every bug!

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it

re the stomach cramps: not necessarily the food, could be the change in water. I know when we moved to Australind from Bunbury for two weeks I had a dodgy stomach - the water tasted different as well.

Hang in there, you're probably both run down through all the stress of emigrating and therefore getting the bugs.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

Hi PP, when i was over at xmas for 2 weeks i had a really REALLY bad sore throat and headache , i also had about 7 cold sores (very attractive!!)
the throat didn't turn into an infection but i felt so crap with it .....i thought i might be allergic to oz

as soon as i got home the throat and glamorous sore cleared up instantly!!
i have since read a few posts on various sites about sickness when you arrive , i guess its the whole stress of the move takes over and when you sit back and stop the bugs attack!!!
hope you feel better soon , oh have you tried taking echinacea to give you immune system a bit of a boost , that and xtra vit C always sort me out
Old May 24th 2008, 11:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it

re the stomach cramps: not necessarily the food, could be the change in water. I know when we moved to Australind from Bunbury for two weeks I had a dodgy stomach - the water tasted different as well.

Hang in there, you're probably both run down through all the stress of emigrating and therefore getting the bugs.
Every time I eat out I get stomach cramps and the trots

Mr PP cooked a lovely meal for me last week and I only managed a mouthful and couldn't eat any more.

It is alot better today - well apart from this morning but I think that is the end of it.

Ive made friends with an English girl from work and we meet up for coffee in Freo, she said she felt quite ill when she first moved here.

I just don't understand why, we have been here about 10 weeks - why now?

It could be the water I suppose.

The feeling of exhaustion is hard, for the first time ever I am really active and cycle/walk and stuff but when I get home from work I just want to sleep.

It is hard when you have so much you want to do and don't feel strong enough health wise to do it.

Anyway, I am due to get back into my Yoga next week so I am going to do that no matter what, I loved doing that in the UK.

And another thing (don't read this if you are a bloke), what on earth has happened to my periods!!!!! Completely mucked up since the day I got off the plane!

I am like a kid in a sweet shop with all the things I want to do - being ill was not on my agenda.

Oh well, I suppose we underestimate the physical effects of migration.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by weez75
Hi PP, when i was over at xmas for 2 weeks i had a really REALLY bad sore throat and headache , i also had about 7 cold sores (very attractive!!)
the throat didn't turn into an infection but i felt so crap with it .....i thought i might be allergic to oz

as soon as i got home the throat and glamorous sore cleared up instantly!!
i have since read a few posts on various sites about sickness when you arrive , i guess its the whole stress of the move takes over and when you sit back and stop the bugs attack!!!
hope you feel better soon , oh have you tried taking echinacea to give you immune system a bit of a boost , that and xtra vit C always sort me out
I am defo going to get some Vit C - and I shall eat loads of garlic, I have heard that keeps away colds (and people)
Old May 24th 2008, 12:12 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP,

sorry that you're feeling 'crock' it's probably a combination of factors that have added to it. Change of climate, change of water,change of location and change of food.
The change of location is probably the biggest factor, because your body has a whole host of new pathogens (germs) to build an immunity to.... the upshot is that you get ill with every new unfamiliar germ that you come into contact with. Rest assured you will stop getting ill soon, once your body has developed the necessary antibodies to slay the 'new' bugs!
In the meantime, you can boost your immune system with echinacea, zinc, vitamin c and vitamin E. Especially as you're eating so little it will definitely help.
Otherwise you know the drill, plenty of fluids, paracetamol and ride it out!

Hope you all start to feel better soon!

Ali x
Old May 24th 2008, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi PP,

sorry that you're feeling 'crock' it's probably a combination of factors that have added to it. Change of climate, change of water,change of location and change of food.
The change of location is probably the biggest factor, because your body has a whole host of new pathogens (germs) to build an immunity to.... the upshot is that you get ill with every new unfamiliar germ that you come into contact with. Rest assured you will stop getting ill soon, once your body has developed the necessary antibodies to slay the 'new' bugs!
In the meantime, you can boost your immune system with echinacea, zinc, vitamin c and vitamin E. Especially as you're eating so little it will definitely help.
Otherwise you know the drill, plenty of fluids, paracetamol and ride it out!

Hope you all start to feel better soon!

Ali x
Thanks for that Ali

I had toast for breakfast, raisin toast for lunch as it was all that I fancied and I am meant to cook some pasta for evening meal.

But as I am really not hungry, I shall have yet more toast. I have managed lots of fresh orange juice though.

I put it down to having my flu jab the other week, I had one in the UK in October and another one in Australia as its the flu season.

Good job nobody hasn't made me laugh, I would cough my guts up

Food or not, bad chest or not - I cannot wait to start my yoga
Old May 24th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry hon, I have met 3 families who have come over recently and (including me) we have all had the same About a month ago it felt like I had a chest infection but I didn't, headaches aswell. I think it is a bug. By the way it was all the women that seem to get it, can't explain that one.
Old May 24th 2008, 3:38 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

get some vitamin c down your neck, also echinacae is really good for your immune system (spelling is not great)
i had shingles a year ago and it knocked me for six, i had it all across my forehead and in my eye, chris kept calling me chunk from the goonies
i think once you have something that strips your immune system its hard to build it back up
get well soon
bec
Old May 24th 2008, 7:24 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

When my sister emigrated 5 years ago, my niece who was 2 at the time became very ill. She took her to the drs & he told her she was allergic to Oz!!
She had asthma like symptoms & found it really hard to breathe. Saying that tho she is perfectly fine now & loving Oz
Old May 24th 2008, 10:05 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Look on the bright side - at least you will lose weight - as they say, every cloud etc etc

On a more serious note - we also felt crook when we first arrived and it took a couple of months to sort out the system. It is probably all the stress leaving everything that is familiar to you in the Uk to start a new life down under. You don't realise the stress you are under until you start to relax and then it can hit you - a bit like walking into a wall. don't fight it, just try to relax, take some moderate exercise, lots of vitamins and minerals and it will sort out.
Old May 24th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

It's also winter here now and there are a lot more bugs and infections going round - just like the UK in winter!
Add to that the stress of immigration and having to get everything organized once you are here - there is no time to be ill then - but now things are settling?
We find we get more illness here in winter.
Hoping to dodge the dreaded norovirus which is on the rampage around here at the mo!
You'll feel better soon
Old May 24th 2008, 10:45 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

not had the sniffles once in 9 months.

must just be you.

I have heard of it taking time for folks to get used to the climate and environment.

Give it time and your immunity will rebuilt itself.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through this too. I have autoimmune problems (thyroid, amongst other things) and when I change locations I often take a while to settle down. For the first couple of weeks I hardly dared leave the house.

I'm drinking tap water, and thinking I need to get a decent filter system. It's got a pretty strong chloriney smell and I don't want fluoride.

I'm freezing but then I'm in Sydney and used to >30C every day.

I also think your body is subjected to different bugs than you are used to; The Geek always got ill whilst travelling on business, even though he's careful with food and stuff. And yes, stress plays a big part. However well things are going it has been a huge thing to move here.

Others have recommended everything I would - some good immune system boosters, antioxidants, and particularly the echinacea. Do try to eat some fresh food, get your greens (and reds, blues, etc.!) even if you don't feel like it - sounds like you're basically surviving on bad carbs at the moment. Oh and don't drink too much.
Old May 25th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Stress and new environment... and bad luck. the other thing is Aussie houses feel about as insulated as a tepe on the Yorkshire moors, they are crap at insulation and do not have central heating, our rental in Mt Lawley used to be colder inside than outside in winter! Fortunately winter is pretty short, in a few months it will be continuous sunshine and you be sweltering inside the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.