Reload this Page >

Goods to follow

Goods to follow

Old May 7th 2012, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Becks 7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow

Hi all,

Just a quick one, I am landing in Vancouver in a couple of weeks and have some stuff to follow. Not a great deal since I've sold most of everything I own and I could probably get everything over in about 4 suitcases. Obviously I have to list all this stuff as goods to follow and will do, but we'll be shipping it from my parent's place when we find somewhere permanent to live.

The thing is my partner (also in the UK at the moment) has some stuff to bring over from living here and we'd want to ship everything together. What would this mean for customs since half of the stuff being shipped over will be listed as my goods to follow and the other half is her possessions? I'm not sure if this will cause a problem when trying to release the stuff from customs or even if we'll have to ship stuff separately.

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow

Are you landing as a PR or the generic plane is landing in Vancouver?
What will be your partners status?
Yes you can combine shipping the goods together as long as goods are described on the goods to follow list.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

I'm landing as a PR via common-law sponsorship and my partner is a Canadian citizen.

So I guess in theory then I could list all her stuff on the goods to follow?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becks 7
I'm landing as a PR via common-law sponsorship and my partner is a Canadian citizen.

So I guess in theory then I could list all her stuff on the goods to follow?
You get the jackpot prize.
Your goods as a settler as per this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf

His goods as a former resident
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-2-eng.pdf

The main difference being the $10,000 limit on one item as a former resident. No value on settler. Same condition re used goods ownership & use.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You get the jackpot prize.
Your goods as a settler as per this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf

His goods as a former resident
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-2-eng.pdf

The main difference being the $10,000 limit on one item as a former resident. No value on settler. Same condition re used goods ownership & use.
Are you saying a returning Canadian has a limit of $10k on GTF?

I don't think that's correct.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by el_richo
Are you saying a returning Canadian has a limit of $10k on GTF?

I don't think that's correct.
No I said on one item. If an item is worth more than the $10,000 then applicable taxes would be paid on the amount exceeding $10,000.
You can bring in 2 million worth of goods if you want but any one item cannot exceed $10,000. Its all in the link.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No I said on one item. If an item is worth more than the $10,000 then applicable taxes would be paid on the amount exceeding $10,000.
You can bring in 2 million worth of goods if you want but any one item cannot exceed $10,000. Its all in the link.
That's not true (in my experience). My wife returned with items worth more than that of which she'd taken to the UK with her from Canada. She also returned with other items bought in Europe that were worth much more than that.

The customs lady confirmed we were good to go.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's not true (in my experience). My wife returned with items worth more than that of which she'd taken to the UK with her from Canada. She also returned with other items bought in Europe that were worth much more than that.

The customs lady confirmed we were good to go.
Taken from the manual
Value Limitations
16. If an article meets all the conditions of tariff item No. 9805.00.00 but its value for duty exceeds $10,000, it is not classified under tariff item No. 9805.00.00. Instead, section 84 of the Customs Tariff applies and the article is classified under Chapters 1 to 97 of the Customs Tariff, and its value for duty is reduced by $10,000. Duties therefore apply only to the portion of the value that exceeds $10,000.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...d2-3-2-eng.pdf

This is for former residents of Canada coming back to establish a residence.
It is not to be confused with the returning residents exemptions who are living in Canada i.e. the 48 hr and 7 day exemptions.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:36 pm
Beep

I love these governemntal inconsistences where people experience differences from each other and the rules
Old May 8th 2012, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I love these governemntal inconsistences where people experience differences from each other and the rules
Tell me about it
Old May 8th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

How about cash? We'll be transferring some (not sure how much yet) between our UK bank account and her existing account in Canada, but this will probably be before we go over. It might be over $10,000, I'm not sure.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:39 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience tells me that there are no limits for returning Canadians. The only stipulation is that they have been out of the country for 12 months or more. You will need to prove this to customs when clearing the shipment.