Reload this Page >

Bahrain vs Qatar...which is better

Bahrain vs Qatar...which is better

Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain vs Qatar...which is better

Hi there
We are currently living in Bahrain and looking to move to Qatar, largely because we think Bahrain is a dive with absolutely no outdoor space for the kids. We have two small children who are very active and are missing beaches and greenery. We have heard that Qatar is better as at least there is a corniche, parks and some beaches...all of which this place is sadly missing. We will pop over next weekend to take a look but obviously a weekend will not allow us to see all. Can anyone who has children and has lived in both please tell me which one they preferred.
Thanks
Kate
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain vs Qatar...which is better

Originally Posted by kateric
Hi there
We are currently living in Bahrain and looking to move to Qatar, largely because we think Bahrain is a dive with absolutely no outdoor space for the kids. We have two small children who are very active and are missing beaches and greenery. We have heard that Qatar is better as at least there is a corniche, parks and some beaches...all of which this place is sadly missing. We will pop over next weekend to take a look but obviously a weekend will not allow us to see all. Can anyone who has children and has lived in both please tell me which one they preferred.
Thanks
Kate
You obviously haven't even looked at Bahrain - plenty to do, even for children. How long have you lived here?

And have you considered costs - Qatar is way way way more expensive thn Bahrain (think Abu Dhabi, and then some).

Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Qatar basically comprises one congested city surrounded by desert. If you don't like Bahrain, you certainly won't like Doha. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar is a sh*thole - i go there periodically because of work.....although i havent been to Bahrain, i've heard it's really beautiful etc, am surprised you say it's kinda crap.

Anyway apart from saudi being the worse place to live and work in, in the ME, i'd say Qatar is a close 2nd to that.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your opinions, it is always good to take them on board. We have lived in Bahrain for nearly 2 years and I guess it is all relative to where you have come from, we moved from the Caribbean with loads of beaches so the change to here is phenomenal! All our friends here that go over to Qatar say how much nicer it is than here, not as shabby as here. There is certainly plenty to do for the kids in Bahrain but not so much outdoors which is where we are struggling. If it just had one beach and some parks it would be far more appealing. We will pop over and take a look and see how we get on. Thanks for thoughts on costs.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your opinions, it is always good to take them on board. We have lived in Bahrain for nearly 2 years and I guess it is all relative to where you have come from, we moved from the Caribbean with loads of beaches so the change to here is phenomenal! All our friends here that go over to Qatar say how much nicer it is than here, not as shabby as here. There is certainly plenty to do for the kids in Bahrain but not so much outdoors which is where we are struggling. If it just had one beach and some parks it would be far more appealing. We will pop over and take a look and see how we get on. Thanks for thoughts on costs.
Everybody I know who went from Bahrain to Qatar prefers Bahrain. Yes, there are beaches here...if you come from the Caribbean, you will not call them beaches though. even the Inland sea is littered with garbage and the water is not nice. The beaches here are not taken care of at all,besides the garbage you will find plenty of people trying to spot a Western woman dressed in swimming gear.
I have only visited Bahrain, so can't have an opinion on it.
Oh and shabbyness....show me one Gulf country that does not look shabby...lol.
If I were you I would focus on Oman...plenty outdoor stuff to do...nice beaches, mountains, and most importantly, PEOPLE.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alexa. I know what you mean about Oman, we love it there but there just aren't the jobs there at the moment which is a shame. Are the beaches in Qatar that bad? Amazing how the google images can look so nice!! The one public beach here is so hideous you wouldn't even take your dog to it and the Ritz Carlton has a waitlist so long that it is even pointless putting your name on it. Thanks for the honest feedback.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Alexa. I know what you mean about Oman, we love it there but there just aren't the jobs there at the moment which is a shame. Are the beaches in Qatar that bad? Amazing how the google images can look so nice!! The one public beach here is so hideous you wouldn't even take your dog to it and the Ritz Carlton has a waitlist so long that it is even pointless putting your name on it. Thanks for the honest feedback.
Well, there are some that are doable, but you have to get there early before the perverts wake up....best t get there early in the morning and leave latest around 3 in the afternoon.
All the beaches are littered with plastic bags, food left overs etc. There is one near Dukhan that is ok.....other than that, yes, there is the desert of course...the Singing Dunes but that is where it ends. And you have dune buggies EVERYWHERE, driving like maniacs, with no care or respect for others. Not to forget the Cruisers dune bashing....
I think if outdoor life is a make or break, you might as well stay in Bahrain.... I LOVE beaches, have been to many all over this world , so to see what is done here makes me angry.As there certainly is some potential, if they would just make an effort, which is not going to happen as beach life is contrary to the local culture.

Now, if you are seriously desperate and don't mind some disadvantages, you might be ok with what is on offer here.
Come over, have a look, although I don't know if it is possible for you to check out the beaches here as they are at least 1 to 2 hours drive away from Doha.
Oh and not to forget, they have reclaimed a lot of land and there is some serious construction going on here...lots of garbage and waste go into the sea, from what I have been told, so things are pretty dead in the waters around here.

Also ger the Marhaba Book, it gives you info where the beaches are and there are some rather flattering pics.....you can get the book at bookstores and supermarkets for about 20 QR.

Last edited by Alexa; Jan 30th 2010 at 8:27 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Alexa, thanks for that, my images of nice beaches are being shattered! I know what you mean about rubbish and food scraps. It seems that some people go on picnics and then just stand and leave, leaving behind all their chicken bones and what ever else they have eaten. The whole of Bahrain is one big rubbish dump! Are the beaches at the hotels any nicer? I have heard that lots of people join the intercon and other places where you can sail and enjoy the beach there. My husband is popping over this week and then we will come over next weekend to take a look

Thanks again
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa, thanks for that, my images of nice beaches are being shattered! I know what you mean about rubbish and food scraps. It seems that some people go on picnics and then just stand and leave, leaving behind all their chicken bones and what ever else they have eaten. The whole of Bahrain is one big rubbish dump! Are the beaches at the hotels any nicer? I have heard that lots of people join the intercon and other places where you can sail and enjoy the beach there. My husband is popping over this week and then we will come over next weekend to take a look

Thanks again
Well yes, I think quite a few people are joining the hotel clubs....the beaches there are somewhat clean, but again, not great.I don;t know what it is, but there is no proper sand...it is always muddy....must be the way the ground is over here... And of course, since the hotels are in the city, the beaches are very small. I used to be, many years back, a member at the Intercon club, but it really, IMHO, was not worth it. Very, very busy at the weekends, plus, be ready to pay 40 QR for a small cup of cappucino etc.....
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Bahrain is
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:15 pm
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough

I moved from Bahrain to Doha 3 months ago.
Although there are a few nice places (Souq Wafiq) is quite well done. Old souk with modern coffee shops. I prefer Bahrain to be honest. I dont like the exit visa nonsense here in Qatar either. Its a pain as you have to plan well in advance when you want to leave. I feel like a Berliner, prior to the wall coming down.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

We lived both in Bahrain and Qatar and prefer Bahrain much to Qatar. You can pretty much forget outdoor activities anywhere in the ME, due to the heat. But I can't understand that you find no 'nice' beaches in Bahrain?? What about the Yacht Club or the Sailing Club, are they closed now?
And if you find the Ritz Carlton in Bahrain to expensive you won't like the Intercon in Doha.
We found that socially it was far better in Bahrain. In Qatar the majority of expats are connected with the oil companys and therefore max. 4 yrs.in Qatar and they pretty much stay within their own company clubs.
How old are your kids? Will you need a Kindergarten/Nursery for them or preschool or school?? Because if you want a decent one in Qatar you'll find yourself at the end of an endless waiting list!
Housing is also much more expensive than in Bahrain.
So have a good long look at Doha and consider, whether it's worse.