Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?

Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:55 pm
pop
Forum Regular

pop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?

Is it better to provide a return envelop or it is unnecessary to do so when sending the passport from the USA for stamping? Thank you for your answer.

Last edited by pop; Dec 4th 2006 at 2:58 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?

Why are you even asking??? Do you want to risk your passport with new visa to be lost when sent back by regular mail? Submit your passport with pre-paid, self-addressed premium USPS envelope (if return address is in US) or with national XpressPost envelope (if return address is in Canada) as instructed in passport request letter.

Originally Posted by pop
Is it better to provide a return envelop or it is unnecessary to do so when sending the passport from the USA for stamping? Thank you for your answer.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:19 pm
pop
Forum Regular

Default Re: Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why are you even asking??? Do you want to risk your passport with new visa to be lost when sent back by regular mail? Submit your passport with pre-paid, self-addressed premium USPS envelope (if return address is in US) or with national XpressPost envelope (if return address is in Canada) as instructed in passport request letter.
To ask this question because the instructions state, “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop. We will return your passports by courier envelop ONLY where you have pre-paid the courier company for the return service or if you have an account with the courier company. IN THE ABSENCE OF PRE-PAYMENT OF THE RETURN FREIGHT, WE WILL RETURN YOUR PASSPORTS BY CERTIFIED MAIL VIA THE US POSTAL SERVICE." Apparently, there are two options. The passports can be returned by the certified mail. Is the certified mail not secure enough? Do you always provide the pre-paid envelop for returning your client’s passports?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:24 pm

Certified mail is not safe at all. I always use FedEx for passport returns in cases of visa posts other than Buffalo and Canadian National XpressPost for Buffalo (as I'm based in Canada). You should use FedEx or USPS Premium Express mail pre-paid envelope if you live in US.

Why you would risk everything by trying to "save" $20 or so???? Why it is even an issue??? It is an absolute no-brainer that you should use the safest way, regardless how much it costs.

If "saving" $20 is thing you even consider in this circumstances then you cannot afford to immigrate to Canada my friend.

Originally Posted by pop
To ask this question because the instructions state, “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop. We will return your passports by courier envelop ONLY where you have pre-paid the courier company for the return service or if you have an account with the courier company. IN THE ABSENCE OF PRE-PAYMENT OF THE RETURN FREIGHT, WE WILL RETURN YOUR PASSPORTS BY CERTIFIED MAIL VIA THE US POSTAL SERVICE." Apparently, there are two options. The passports can be returned by the certified mail. Is the certified mail not secure enough? Do you always provide the pre-paid envelop for returning your client’s passports?

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Dec 4th 2006 at 7:31 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:19 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Ok in a panic, UK PPR sent to CHC London, they only asked for an envelope self addressed... Will they not send it back by registered mail?

Been waiting for almost 3 weeks, as you can see very easley spooked :scared:
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:42 pm
pop
Forum Regular

AM, how do you follow “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop?” Does it mean to enclose a piece of paper with a tracking number or what else?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:40 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Ok in a panic, UK PPR sent to CHC London, they only asked for an envelope self addressed... Will they not send it back by registered mail?

Been waiting for almost 3 weeks, as you can see very easley spooked :scared:
Lol Dont panic it will be fine, postman will bring it for you Will need to sign for it.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:33 pm

I don't know where you read “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop”.

All PPR letters I receive from Buffalo state "Make a note of tracking number" - see attached.

And please - it is an envelope, not "envelop"....

Can you attach page of your PPR letter where it states “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop”?

Originally Posted by pop
AM, how do you follow “Please ensure that you enclose a tracking number for your return envelop?” Does it mean to enclose a piece of paper with a tracking number or what else?
Attached Thumbnails Is it necessary to provide a return envelop when sending a passport?-ppr_page_2.jpg  
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:21 pm
pop
Forum Regular

The letter I received is different from what you attached. There should have no big difference between “Make a note of tracking number” and “enclose a tracking number for your return envelope.” How do you follow “Make a note of tracking number?” Does anyone know it?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:32 pm

Just write it down on piece of paper for your record, so you can track it later. You really never used any courier service in your life?

Originally Posted by pop
The letter I received is different from what you attached. There should have no big difference between “Make a note of tracking number” and “enclose a tracking number for your return envelope.” How do you follow “Make a note of tracking number?” Does anyone know it?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:54 am
pop
Forum Regular

Should I request a refund for the difference of the landing fee when sending in the passports or the CIC US visa office will automatically refund it when the passports to be returned? Do your clients automatically receive the refunds when the passports back?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:20 am

You should receive the refund within several weeks from landing.

Originally Posted by pop
Should I request a refund for the difference of the landing fee when sending in the passports or the CIC US visa office will automatically refund it when the passports to be returned? Do your clients automatically receive the refunds when the passports back?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:56 am
pop
Forum Regular

Default Re: Is it necessary to provide a return envelope when sending a passport?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You should receive the refund within several weeks from landing.
Where will the refund be sent, the address prior to the landing or what else? How will the CIC know the right address to receive the refund?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:22 am

Default Re: Is it necessary to provide a return envelope when sending a passport?

I have no idea how it works with other applicants, but refunds for all my clients are always mailed by visa posts to my office. Each refund check is made payable to applicant, but it comes to my address and I forward it to client.

Originally Posted by pop
Where will the refund be sent, the address prior to the landing or what else? How will the CIC know the right address to receive the refund?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

anona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the rough

Hey, pop..hold your horses...calm down..

First, what address are you providing for the return of your passport, US or Canada?

For my part, there are specific instructions (for US) NOT TO USE paid commercial courier like UPS, FexEx, DHL, etc.. for pre-paid envelope. Only USPS First Class (for Standard mailing) OR US EXPRESS mail, period.

For Canadian address, US Postal service first class (those processed in Canadian Consulate in US), OR FedEx Courier only.

Outside US or Canadian address, just follow what's on the instruction and do what's the safest even spending few bucks more. Afterall, paying for courier is less effort and money than losing your head for lost passports with visa on it.