Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal - Process & Service in Thailand

UK Passport Renewal - Process & Service in Thailand

Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Question UK Passport Renewal - Process & Service in Thailand

Morning to All,

Well, its that time again where my passport only has a few empty pages left and I have to get another one. The last time I did it was in Shanghai in 2008 with the British Consulate there, very smooth.

Has anyone renewed since the new process came into place? I.E. the centralisation of it all in Asia to Hong Kong?

I'm located in BKK.

Views and experiences appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Northeasted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal - Process & Service in Thailand

Hi

I am not to sure on the renewal but when I was in Pattaya last year and lost my passport it was an absolute nightmare!!

When I went to the embassy in Bangkok, they advised that they do not issue passports in Bangkok anymore. Like you comment because of the change they can still be processed in Bangkok, but you have to wait for your renewal coming back from Hong Kong. Crazy I know, but you should allow enough time for your renewal so it does not have any detrimental effect on your travel plans.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Morning to All,

Well, its that time again where my passport only has a few empty pages left and I have to get another one. The last time I did it was in Shanghai in 2008 with the British Consulate there, very smooth.

Has anyone renewed since the new process came into place? I.E. the centralisation of it all in Asia to Hong Kong?

I'm located in BKK.

Cheers!
I did mine recently. Although in Dubai, my application went to Dusseldorf, but the process is almost the same as BKK-HKG. The application can be sent via DHL and the new Passport is returned via the same route. Mine took just over two weeks, but make sure that the Photographs are 'Photographs' and not Digital Prints; they use these for the biometric information.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/he...iland/renewals
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Think you need this link here

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...nals/passports

I did mine last year via Hong Kong (from Malaysia where I now live). Did it all via DHL, bloody expensive, but it worked okay and got new passport back fairly quickly.

I heard (a rumour somewhere on the internet) that they were thinking of centralizing it all to UK at some point, so you'd have to send everything DHL to the UK but..... not heard if this is going to happen for sure, just a rumour.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:54 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

did it last year via HK and it was fine. Got it back in a week although like BB said if you use the embassy DHL service it adds on an extra 1000 baht to the cost. At the DHL I used they even had a sign on the counter advertising their British passport service.

I'm pretty sure that they now go from HK to the UK and back again now. How much extra that sticks on I don't know.

The only passports that are now done at the embassy in BKK are ones that are lost or stolen or a first passport when you have to go in with all the docs. And they still send it to HK.

In fact it is actually pretty hard to get in there these days to speak to someone. If you call them about the passport thing apparently there is a message telling you to call some ' premium ' rate number in the UK.

We're just cows to be milked !
Old Nov 5th 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

I can provide a little updated information though I renewed my passport in Hong Kong not Bangkok. However, the system is now the same for all overseas applicants I believe. All passport work has been repatriated to the UK. From last August the HK Consulate ceased to issue new passports to applicants. They are delivered direct by DHL from the UK.

My old passport was almost full so I decided to renew a few weeks ago. I applied in person at the HK Consulate. The passport and visa sections have been completely revamped since I was last there in 2006. I arrived at 8.20am and was all done by 9.00am. The cost for a 48 page passport (bit of a misnomer as 6 pages are consumed by the preamble, photos and EU blurb in multiple languages, and the end notes) was approximately HK$2,200 including the DHL fees. When I applied I was told that at the time it was taking 2-3 weeks to get the new passport back. The old passport must now be surrendered at the time of application.

I applied on 19 October, my old passport was returned on 28 October and my new one arrived on 31 October. It is the new e-passport (with the symbol on the front below the word passport). I was impressed by the efficiency of the service. Of course, it's not cheap and maybe I was fortunate that I applied at this time after the summer break and well before Christmas. But at least it was a painless experience and did not disrupt my travel plans.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteinHongKong
I can provide a little updated information though I renewed my passport in Hong Kong not Bangkok. However, the system is now the same for all overseas applicants I believe. All passport work has been repatriated to the UK. From last August the HK Consulate ceased to issue new passports to applicants. They are delivered direct by DHL from the UK.

My old passport was almost full so I decided to renew a few weeks ago. I applied in person at the HK Consulate. The passport and visa sections have been completely revamped since I was last there in 2006. I arrived at 8.20am and was all done by 9.00am. The cost for a 48 page passport (bit of a misnomer as 6 pages are consumed by the preamble, photos and EU blurb in multiple languages, and the end notes) was approximately HK$2,200 including the DHL fees. When I applied I was told that at the time it was taking 2-3 weeks to get the new passport back. The old passport must now be surrendered at the time of application.

I applied on 19 October, my old passport was returned on 28 October and my new one arrived on 31 October. It is the new e-passport (with the symbol on the front below the word passport). I was impressed by the efficiency of the service. Of course, it's not cheap and maybe I was fortunate that I applied at this time after the summer break and well before Christmas. But at least it was a painless experience and did not disrupt my travel plans.
Seems a lot easier for Pete as he's living in HK. I was going to apply for mine in January, since I have 5 pages left, and after my Xmas trip back to UK. However, I just realised my Thai Visa renewal is in early January anyway, so I'll have to get working on making my application each week.
I understand the process of the passports now all being produced in the UK for security etc, but why the Embassies in each country simply can't receive all applications and send in a big bag to the UK, seems crazy. A saving in costs by them but I a large increase in costs of all the individual DHL's being sent by each person applying. DHL are rubbing their hands...
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Morning to All,

I'm located in BKK.

Cheers!
How about a Counter-signatory? i can't seem to know any UK expats here in Thailand that know me for 3 years. Is it okay not to have one? The FCO website says it is okay if it's only a renewal. My mom is over visiting us, but I think she cannot be used as a countersignatory (even though she knows me for all my life (!))
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
did it last year via HK and it was fine. Got it back in a week although like BB said if you use the embassy DHL service it adds on an extra 1000 baht to the cost. At the DHL I used they even had a sign on the counter advertising their British passport service.

I'm pretty sure that they now go from HK to the UK and back again now. How much extra that sticks on I don't know.

The only passports that are now done at the embassy in BKK are ones that are lost or stolen or a first passport when you have to go in with all the docs. And they still send it to HK.

In fact it is actually pretty hard to get in there these days to speak to someone. If you call them about the passport thing apparently there is a message telling you to call some ' premium ' rate number in the UK.

We're just cows to be milked !
Overall, how much did you need to pay?
Mine has till 2014, but there are only 4 empty pages left.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some more updates folks.

Mr Debowing, if your application is just a renewal, and you have not changed significantly since your last photo (or had any facial surgery!), then a counter signature is not needed.

I got my last 48 page passport in 2008/09, and it was just about full by the end of this year. I decided that I could not afford to wait for up to 4 weeks without my passport, and so I applied for the super quick same day service whilst on holiday in the UK for Xmas.

I completed the form online and had it sent to my parents address before leaving BKK (you cannot print it yourself). Just pretend online that you're in the UK and use a UK address for it to be sent to. Then I booked an appointment at the Peterborough IPS, for 11.30am to avoid any early morning rush hour traffic. Gave myself an extra hour to find parking and the timing was perfect.

The application is simple, but but but make sure you get your photos done by a photo shop in the UK or a suitable machine if you do them in TH. I got mine done in BKK, thought they were ok, but then found that the white background is no longer allowed. It has to be grey or cream!!! So I had them re-done in the UK before going to the IPS.

The one day service is a premium charge, but you get your passport back in 4 hours. I actually got mine back in 3 hours and had a great day in the beautiful city of Peterborough. A really nice day out if you go there!

The normal price if you do it via post, or better still the check and send system via the post office, is just over GBP 70.00. However, the premium service, with 48 page passport is GBP 138.50! 'Thank you very much' said the girl....

MP
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:27 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
How about a Counter-signatory? i can't seem to know any UK expats here in Thailand that know me for 3 years. Is it okay not to have one? The FCO website says it is okay if it's only a renewal. My mom is over visiting us, but I think she cannot be used as a countersignatory (even though she knows me for all my life (!))
you can use a professional Thai who has known you, it doesn't have to be a UK citizen for countersigning. Someone you work with, doctor , local official perhaps. At the end of the day , how much do they really check this stuff ?!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Some more updates folks.

Mr Debowing, if your application is just a renewal, and you have not changed significantly since your last photo (or had any facial surgery!), then a counter signature is not needed.

I got my last 48 page passport in 2008/09, and it was just about full by the end of this year. I decided that I could not afford to wait for up to 4 weeks without my passport, and so I applied for the super quick same day service whilst on holiday in the UK for Xmas.

I completed the form online and had it sent to my parents address before leaving BKK (you cannot print it yourself). Just pretend online that you're in the UK and use a UK address for it to be sent to. Then I booked an appointment at the Peterborough IPS, for 11.30am to avoid any early morning rush hour traffic. Gave myself an extra hour to find parking and the timing was perfect.

The application is simple, but but but make sure you get your photos done by a photo shop in the UK or a suitable machine if you do them in TH. I got mine done in BKK, thought they were ok, but then found that the white background is no longer allowed. It has to be grey or cream!!! So I had them re-done in the UK before going to the IPS.

The one day service is a premium charge, but you get your passport back in 4 hours. I actually got mine back in 3 hours and had a great day in the beautiful city of Peterborough. A really nice day out if you go there!

The normal price if you do it via post, or better still the check and send system via the post office, is just over GBP 70.00. However, the premium service, with 48 page passport is GBP 138.50! 'Thank you very much' said the girl....

MP
Thanks for the info.

Please clarify the part about printing, i thought one could print the form...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Debowing
Thanks for the info.

Please clarify the part about printing, i thought one could print the form...
Hi George,
ABSOLUTELY NOT. You will see when you receive the form through the post. It's done that way because its on their special form all completed and read by computer scanners. Some people would maybe print this on a bubble jet printer thinking its ok, but in fact its not. So if you are visiting the UK, complete the form online in advance and use a relative/friends UK address for it to be sent to.
Note that the online form will say that if you are not in the UK you cannot apply to a UK passport office, BUT, just simply answer the tick points as though you are in the UK. Very easy and quick.
regards, MP
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Familyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to plan on being wothout a valid passport, as your old one is cancelled when you apply for the new one. But it only took a week for me.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:39 am
Just Joined

2012Survivor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
My daughter picked up a couple of forms today from the Brit embassy as we both need to renew our passports.
I'm a little unclear about the info on the courier fees. The courier fee quoted on the form is HK$255. Do I have to pay this for the DHL service to send the application documents from Bangkok to Hong Kong, along with a Bank Draft for the same amount for the courier service for sending the PP from the UK?