Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough
Default MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Ok, Ill try and make this as simple as I can. Ive lived in Saskatchewan for nearly 3 years now, moved over here with my fiance... I live in city which only has 17k people...there is not much choice in anything to do I have come to realise, I am 27 and I feel like I am wasting my life here, whilst my fiance's career has progressed mine has not and I dred going to work as I find it so boring and unchallenging, in the UK I had a progressing career and I miss that, I also miss Asda and Tesco I miss Dorothy Perkins and Marks and Spencers..oo I miss a curry after a night out... what on earth leads people to a donut at the end of a drunken evening... lol
I feel that there is so much choice in the uk when it comes to shopping, restaurants and nightlife and I am not sure if i am making a terrible mistake by thinking these things are more important than some wide open skies... what is the be all and end all ?? My fiance however does not have the same opinions as me which means I would be moving back to England without him, I would be going it alone and perhaps he would move back with me after a few months.. that is only a perhaps however..
Also as I have been away 3 years nearly I am concerned about getting a mortgage etc.... do I have to start my credit rating all over again.. I did NOT keep my bank accounts open after I left.
Any adivce on my situation would be greatly appreciated....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Your UK credit should still be on file, 3yrs isn't that long really. I would use the same bank as you used before, preferably the same branch as well and just explain the situation.

I have heard that getting a mortgage in the UK these days (well just recently) is becoming harder, I guess they do not want people to go down the same route as the Americans.
But as the average house price is now 7x the average salary I guess you will not be buying straight away, I wouldn't, renting is a safer bet until the financial market & housing market sorts itself out again.

Good luck with the move.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Is your problem Canada, or just small town SK?

Have you considered anywhere else in Canada?

Any one of the larger cities might well offer what you miss in the way of retail therapy and ethnic foodery, and it would be a lot less hassle to make the move, and more importantly perhaps a compromise could be reached with your fiance.

Hell, I'm happy enough to live in a small town in Ontario, but the thought of living in hicksville SK would have me pining for more excitement too! At least Im only a couple of hours from toronto if life gets too dull.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

While I hear you about the things you miss about the UK - could it be that it is Saskatchewan that might be the issue for you. Or the bit you live in? The skies are great - but not enough to live on!!

Would your partner be able to work somewhere else in Canada - is it worth exploring that option first? Can you easily transfer your skills to another employer elsewhere? Could this be a discussion you could have first?

However, I also fear there may be more to your thread with regards to your relationship - and the possiblity of moving back to the UK without him says something may not be working out on that front either? I'm not prying - but several people in this section have contemplated moving back without fiances because the lure home is the uppermost thought in their mind, and some because the relationship is not working out afterall

Best wishes in the months ahead ... difficult decisions.

Oops - looks like iaink and I have had similar thoughts ....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Is your problem Canada, or just small town SK?

Have you considered anywhere else in Canada?

Any one of the larger cities might well offer what you miss in the way of retail therapy and ethnic foodery, and it would be a lot less hassle to make the move, and more importantly perhaps a compromise could be reached with your fiance.

Hell, I'm happy enough to live in a small town in Ontario, but the thought of living in hicksville SK would have me pining for more excitement too! At least Im only a couple of hours from toronto if life gets too dull.

Yes I have considered other places in Canada, done a little bit of research but you never know until you live there right... and the booming places to live are so expensive. I dont find Ottawa appealing due to the high humidity in the summer and the extra cold deep snowed winters.... and I really dont know much about the east... and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Still I dont think anywhere will have what I am looking for but again I might just be terribly terribly homesick....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
While I hear you about the things you miss about the UK - could it be that it is Saskatchewan that might be the issue for you. Or the bit you live in? The skies are great - but not enough to live on!!

Would your partner be able to work somewhere else in Canada - is it worth exploring that option first? Can you easily transfer your skills to another employer elsewhere? Could this be a discussion you could have first?

However, I also fear there may be more to your thread with regards to your relationship - and the possiblity of moving back to the UK without him says something may not be working out on that front either? I'm not prying - but several people in this section have contemplated moving back without fiances because the lure home is the uppermost thought in their mind, and some because the relationship is not working out afterall
Best wishes in the months ahead ... difficult decisions.
Oops - looks like iaink and I have had similar thoughts ....
You are right in saying Sk might be the issue... I am not sure, I am not sure if anywhere in Canada has what England has to offer with regards to what I mentioned in my earlier post.
Yes.. My fiance could easily get a job elsewhere in the country but where ? where do we choose to then only maybe realise thats not what i want either...
With regards to my relationship yes you are also right... things havent been a bunch of roses thats for sure since we moved here anyhow ! Im not sure if this is down to my unhappiness and because he has been my focus of happiness this whole time or not... but the reason I want to leave where I am now I do not believe is down to my relationship...
Difficuly decisions... tell me about it !!! jeeze... lol
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:24 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of boring the BE population to death, you might want to do a search on my posts to get the story behind why Canada is not really for me either. I would, however, seriously consider living elsewhere in Canada before going home. You've only been gone three years, so slotting back in at home won't be too much of an issue for you. There are other places in this vast country that might float your boat; I know SK is a place I have to occasionally visit and can't wait to leave.

As my plans to return home are stalling horribly at the moment, I am also re-considering Ontario with a view to living reasonably well, with access to good career progression and cheap flights to the UK. Career opportunities for a woman in the less populated provinces can be determined by a number of factors that you just wouldn't think about in the UK. Over the years I have noticed that if you are the stay at home type, those women seem to settle much more easily than those who would die of boredom in that home maker role. It is horses for courses and neither is a better or worse situation than the other, before any stay at home Mum's line up to defend themselves.

If your OH can work anywhere, giving another province a try might be the catalyst for both of you, in terms of your future and your relationship, to really make sound decisions. Emigration can make or break couples, and if you eventually do go back, it should be with a happy heart instead of a heavy one. Best of luck!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat

As my plans to return home are stalling horribly at the moment, I am also re-considering Ontario with a view to living reasonably well,

Sorry to hear this dingbat ... I know you were pretty keen ... but to quote a cliche, one door closes and all that ?!

it should be with a happy heart instead of a heavy one. Best of luck!
Wise words !!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Yes I have considered other places in Canada, done a little bit of research but you never know until you live there right... and the booming places to live are so expensive. I dont find Ottawa appealing due to the high humidity in the summer and the extra cold deep snowed winters.... and I really dont know much about the east... and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Still I dont think anywhere will have what I am looking for but again I might just be terribly terribly homesick....
Off the top of my head around here Kingston might be worth checking out? Reasonable size, university town, old world archetecture in places, nightlife, a few curry houses, climate somewhat moderated by lake ontario. Not frighteningly expensive. Toronto fairly reachable by train / road, not too far from Ottawa.

Summer is humid though, but thats what the beach and A/C is for. Its not as far north as Ottawa, so winter is not nearly as cold. That little but inland makes a big difference. Just a thought anyway. Good Luck. Dingbat might have an opinion too as she knows a little about it.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Ill try and make this as simple as I can. Ive lived in Saskatchewan for nearly 3 years now, moved over here with my fiance... I live in city which only has 17k people...there is not much choice in anything to do I have come to realise, I am 27 and I feel like I am wasting my life here, whilst my fiance's career has progressed mine has not and I dred going to work as I find it so boring and unchallenging, in the UK I had a progressing career and I miss that, I also miss Asda and Tesco I miss Dorothy Perkins and Marks and Spencers..oo I miss a curry after a night out... what on earth leads people to a donut at the end of a drunken evening... lol
I feel that there is so much choice in the uk when it comes to shopping, restaurants and nightlife and I am not sure if i am making a terrible mistake by thinking these things are more important than some wide open skies... what is the be all and end all ?? My fiance however does not have the same opinions as me which means I would be moving back to England without him, I would be going it alone and perhaps he would move back with me after a few months.. that is only a perhaps however..
Also as I have been away 3 years nearly I am concerned about getting a mortgage etc.... do I have to start my credit rating all over again.. I did NOT keep my bank accounts open after I left.
Hi

I get very homesick for the UK, I think everyone misses different things, I miss the countryside, polite drivers, the working environment, trips to Europe and of course a good curry.

However if your other half won't even talk about compromising, then you have to ask yourself if it's the right relationship? Bottom line is I followed my wife here (to Canada) and I'd never leave without her. If she insisted on going to the moon I'd go with her.

If he won't even give it a try then It's probably time to call it a day.

Jonathan
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Well 3years to me seems like you have given it a try....i haven't read all the other posts so if i'm repeating what someone else has said...sorry!

Well, what about family in the UK? can they help you out if you both do decide to move back...I realize all about the things that you miss in the UK but something must have came about for you/OH to cut all ties w/England??

ASDA is just like Walmart.

If you are planning to marry someone, I think a good conversation about it all is good advise..if you are willing to leave and he won't follow. Where does that leave your future family situation? If you are happy w/him, i would try to sort out some timeline for moving elsewhere in Canada or the big move back? Remember you left UK for a reason, and Canada isn't England.

good luck with whatever you decide...
we live near Toronto Ontario, summers are rather nice, but winters well, cold.
My parents immigrated here years ago, so i'm hoping to get back soon.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Well 3years to me seems like you have given it a try....i haven't read all the other posts so if i'm repeating what someone else has said...sorry!

Well, what about family in the UK? can they help you out if you both do decide to move back...I realize all about the things that you miss in the UK but something must have came about for you/OH to cut all ties w/England??

ASDA is just like Walmart.

If you are planning to marry someone, I think a good conversation about it all is good advise..if you are willing to leave and he won't follow. Where does that leave your future family situation? If you are happy w/him, i would try to sort out some timeline for moving elsewhere in Canada or the big move back? Remember you left UK for a reason, and Canada isn't England.

good luck with whatever you decide...
we live near Toronto Ontario, summers are rather nice, but winters well, cold.
My parents immigrated here years ago, so i'm hoping to get back soon.
Well firstly I completely disagree that Asda is like Walmart... it is part of the same company but Walmart doesnt have the grocery options that Asda has.. nor does it have the same clothing lines..... I despise Walmart and love Asda so something has to be different right....

Me and my fiance didnt leave England because we hated it - we left because we had an oppourtunity to experience something different ... that is all, I do not despise England at all - of course it has its cons but it has many many pros also !
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly I completely disagree that Asda is like Walmart... it is part of the same company but Walmart doesnt have the grocery options that Asda has.. nor does it have the same clothing lines..... I despise Walmart and love Asda so something has to be different right....

Me and my fiance didnt leave England because we hated it - we left because we had an oppourtunity to experience something different ... that is all, I do not despise England at all - of course it has its cons but it has many many pros also !
Hi SAZZLED sorry to here about your dilemma.

You are still young, so dont be to hard on yourself. We all feel a little restless from time to time. I would definitely say try another place in Canada before you make the leap back to the UK too soon.

Just out of interest do you have PR status?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by smelly
Hi SAZZLED sorry to here about your dilemma.

You are still young, so dont be to hard on yourself. We all feel a little restless from time to time. I would definitely say try another place in Canada before you make the leap back to the UK too soon.

Just out of interest do you have PR status?
Yes, I do have PR... I have had that for over a year now, so I am able to go back to England and return if i so wish, as long as I am here for 2 out of 5 years.. so I may just return to England and if i decide its not for me either then I will return elsewhere in Canada... I see a move back to England easier than another move elsewhere within Canada... but again.. I dont even know if I am thinking straight anymore !!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do have PR... I have had that for over a year now, so I am able to go back to England and return if i so wish, as long as I am here for 2 out of 5 years.. so I may just return to England and if i decide its not for me either then I will return elsewhere in Canada... I see a move back to England easier than another move elsewhere within Canada... but again.. I dont even know if I am thinking straight anymore !!
Well good luck with what ever you decide. You have the flexibility, to come back if you choose and that is a good position to be in.

You could always go back to the UK for a holiday and see how you feel, clear your head a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.