Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car in British Columbia

Buying a used car in British Columbia

Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

muffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a used car in British Columbia

Hi

I would be obliged if you could assist. I have a couple of questions about buying a used car from a dealer in BC. Looked online but it is confusing.

1. Price dealer is quoting does not include tax. Is the tax that needs to be paid 12% of price of the car?
2. Where do you pay that tax. To the dealer or when you register the car?
3. How do you register the car? Is this done at the dealership?
4. Does it need to be registered before insurance can be purchased?
5. Say the forecourt price is $10,000. How much less should you offer?
6. Any gotchas to watch for? I have the carproof and I am getting BCAA to do inspection before I buy.

Basically, if someone could provide me with an overview of the process that would be great. Used car dealers tend not to be the best people to ask this kind of thing.

Thanks
Gary
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car in British Columbia

Originally Posted by muffback
Hi

I would be obliged if you could assist. I have a couple of questions about buying a used car from a dealer in BC. Looked online but it is confusing.

1. Price dealer is quoting does not include tax. Is the tax that needs to be paid 12% of price of the car? YES
2. Where do you pay that tax. To the dealer or when you register the car? To the dealer
3. How do you register the car? Is this done at the dealership? The dealer will arrange for an ICBC agent to meet you when you collect the car.
4. Does it need to be registered before insurance can be purchased? It is done at the same time with the ICBC agent.
5. Say the forecourt price is $10,000. How much less should you offer? It depends. Maybe look here http://www.vmrintl.com/makes.htm to get the spread between wholesale and retail prices. You should offer less than the retail.
6. Any gotchas to watch for? I have the carproof and I am getting BCAA to do inspection before I buy. Good. Agree the price with the salesman and stick to it. They will probably try and add some more fees and charges to the contract (they are sometimes pre-printed on the contract). They can go away if you are firm enough.

Basically, if someone could provide me with an overview of the process that would be great. Used car dealers tend not to be the best people to ask this kind of thing.

Thanks
Gary
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Car_Buying-Canada
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Hi

1. Price dealer is quoting does not include tax. Is the tax that needs to be paid 12% of price of the car?
6. Any gotchas to watch for? I have the carproof and I am getting BCAA to do inspection before I buy.

Thanks
Gary

I would say that its subjective to make and model hence depreciation/desirability
Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:53 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Gary
When I was selling my 4x4 back in '04, BCAA striped it down almost as fast as your average gang of 14 year olds on the Surrey Lane Estate in Battersea. They were very comprehensive in their checks - I was impressed.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

muffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:10 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

All was done at the dealer on purchasing in my case.

I sold that car before I left BC however and lived in the UK for almost a year again before coming back to Canada.