Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Hi all

As you have probably guessed from my tag I am currently in the UK and ultimately wish to move to the US. My question revolves around how I can find work and accommodation reliably in Trinidad.

A bit about me: I am a Trini national by descent as my late mother was born and bred in Trinidad, and I was born in Britain. I already held a Trinidad passport as a child and will be going to the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy to get that renewed. I intend to depart for next February sometime, but am unsure where to exactly start looking for good jobs and rental accommodation. I have lots of family still in Trinidad but their suggestions are a little all over the place, and I can't really make sense of them.

I am a software engineer by profession, with a computer science degree from a good university.

Thank you all for your help.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

The economy is stable, but there was a lot of corruption. There is a sense that the new government will make some structural changes. For software engineers Port of Spain is the place to look for work.

Dont know what kind of software engineer you are. Actually with a decent salary, T&T is a beautiful place to settle down.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
The economy is stable, but there was a lot of corruption. There is a sense that the new government will make some structural changes. For software engineers Port of Spain is the place to look for work.

Dont know what kind of software engineer you are. Actually with a decent salary, T&T is a beautiful place to settle down.
Thanks for the info, anuny! I'm a games technology programmer by trade, so I hope that'd be 'techy' enough.

I have a look at companies around that area nearer the time.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:05 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Hi all

As you have probably guessed from my tag I am currently in the UK and ultimately wish to move to the US. My question revolves around how I can find work and accommodation reliably in Trinidad.

A bit about me: I am a Trini national by descent as my late mother was born and bred in Trinidad, and I was born in Britain. I already held a Trinidad passport as a child and will be going to the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy to get that renewed. I intend to depart for next February sometime, but am unsure where to exactly start looking for good jobs and rental accommodation. I have lots of family still in Trinidad but their suggestions are a little all over the place, and I can't really make sense of them.

I am a software engineer by profession, with a computer science degree from a good university.

Thank you all for your help.
No 1, on the passport front you just can't get it renewed like that anymore.
Trinidad is moving over to the new electronic passports and there is about a one year backlog now for renewals.

No 2, would it not be better to do some high paid contracting work in the UK for a while and save as much money as possible so you are not dependent on finding work in Trinidad. Remember you will be on a fraction of the salary you can earn in the UK, thats if you can find the right kind of employment to fit your skillset. I know a lot of the graduates in Trinidad complain tha t their degrees are not put to good use as appropriate employment opportunities are not available. They tend to look oversees for appropriate opportunities.

Are you ready for the just 2 weeks holiday system thay have in Trinidad ?

A beautiful place, not as pretty as a lot of other islands as more industrial
Beautiful people, nice cook up of people.
But spoiled by high levels of violent crime and murders. http://www.eturbonews.com/9889/trini...ital-caribbean

You may have to do a bit more research to make sure you know exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by pgtips; Jul 1st 2010 at 3:33 pm. Reason: more info
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:28 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.regencytrinidad.com/home/

A Trini job site. Seem to be quite professional.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pgtips
No 1, on the passport front you just can't get it renewed like that anymore.
Trinidad is moving over to the new electronic passports and there is about a one year backlog now for renewals.

No 2, would it not be better to do some high paid contracting work in the UK for a while and save as much money as possible so you are not dependent on finding work in Trinidad. Remember you will be on a fraction of the salary you can earn in the UK, thats if you can find the right kind of employment to fit your skillset. I know a lot of the graduates in Trinidad complain tha t their degrees are not put to good use as appropriate employment opportunities are not available. They tend to look oversees for appropriate opportunities.

Are you ready for the just 2 weeks holiday system thay have in Trinidad ?

A beautiful place, not as pretty as a lot of other islands as more industrial
Beautiful people, nice cook up of people.
But spoiled by high levels of violent crime and murders. http://www.eturbonews.com/9889/trini...ital-caribbean

You may have to do a bit more research to make sure you know exactly what you are doing.
Yeah, I'm of the crime issues. I've noticed that if you stay away from the dangerous areas you are pretty much okay, and otherwise crime appears to be going down.

A year to get the passport renewed? I was told ten weeks by the Trinidad Embassy, and if it gets a little tight I can call on family who work for the Embassy.

Either way, I appear to have good time!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.regencytrinidad.com/home/

A Trini job site. Seem to be quite professional.
You're a star! Thank you so much for this. Will have a good old look around.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:14 pm

Yeah, I'm of the crime issues. I've noticed that if you stay away from the dangerous areas you are pretty much okay, and otherwise crime appears to be going down.

A year to get the passport renewed? I was told ten weeks by the Trinidad Embassy, and if it gets a little tight I can call on family who work for the Embassy.

Either way, I appear to have good time!

I don't think the passport will be such a big issue, once you can prove you are a citizen you can stay on the island at your liesure. You will have to get your NI number so you can work which should not be such a big issue.

Just apply for everything well in advance because you know Caribbean time and english time are two different things.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

I was having drinks the other day with a Trini IT person visiting NY; She said it was unlikely that you'd find a good opportunity doing games programming - Unless you are willing to think outside the box so to speak.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by anuny
I was having drinks the other day with a Trini IT person visiting NY; She said it was unlikely that you'd find a good opportunity doing games programming - Unless you are willing to think outside the box so to speak.
I can just see the talk being, "You left big England and come to our small island looking to be a games programmer, choops !!!!"

Oh and please don't go back to the Caribbean with no money, house, etc looking for a job, thats the worst. "De boy had all the opportunity in Big England, and he coming here with not even a dollar to him name looking for work, looking to tek the little jobs we have from us, CHOOPS"

When you have lived in England or the States all your life and then relocate to the islands as a returnee or returnees child, they expect you to have made something of yourself, after all you live in the land of milk and honey. Otherwise, they see you as a big disappointment. They may not tell you to your face, but being married to a trini I know what goes on behind closed doors.

Last edited by pgtips; Jul 5th 2010 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

They may not tell you to your face, but being married to a trini I know what goes on behind closed doors.
Dont get me started on trini jokes
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:06 am
Just Joined

jinxi010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are getting a lot of silly advice here. Obviously having some Trini background you will be aware of the crime. It hardly impacts the average citizens, despite scaremongers.

I would advise caribbeanjobs.com, the only website really that has current, decent amount of job opportunities. I moved as a graduate from the UK, so I at least know of what I speak

While you may not get a job with that exact title, I'm sure there are other roles where you can use your skills.

Accommodation shouldn't be hard. Look for something in the POS vicinity as more than likely if you get a 'good' job that's where you'll be. The Express newspaper always has tons of ads.

I would suggest bunking with your most easygoing family members until you find work though. I DO hope you're coming with some savings!
And on a side note, taking advice from them should be done with a grain of salt-unless they know a lot about your field, their suggestions will indeed be 'all over the place. '

Happy hunting!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jinxi010
I think you are getting a lot of silly advice here.
Jinxi010, this is how you introduce yourself to the forum ? Charming

The original poster has not been given no silly advice, just common sense practical advice. There is nothing wrong with warning someone of the crime situation because then they can take extra precautions so they themselves do not get caught out. He may have family in Trinidad, but moving there and working for the first time can be quite daunting so at least he is doing the right thing and asking for advice.

People are entightled to their opinion as you are, but knocking other peoples advice and coming across as a know it all does not wash down well.

I am quite familiar with Trinidad, so please don't tell me ordinary people are not affected by crime. My wifes uncle was murdered and her cousin was shot in two separate incidents. Miraculously my wifes cousin survived two bullets. My father in law has been held up at gunpoint at his place of business on more than one occassion. This is not scaremongering, just plain facts. Oh and before you try and imply these were gang related, these people are just ordinary hard working folk who fell victim to the crime surge.

I have worked in IT for the last 15 years and have also looked at IT positions in the Caribbean and the opportunities are few and far between and competition fierce.

Now with facts in hand the original poster can take on board what everyone has said including yourself and hopefully make a more informed choice, that will hopefully land him the right job and let him live in relative peace and safety.

Last edited by pgtips; Jul 8th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I've been away from this thread. Thank you for all your opinions, they are more than valuable.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:53 am

Sorry I've been away from this thread. Thank you for all your opinions, they are more than valuable.
You are welcome Dean. Just come back from a month in the Caribbean. The place was as beautiful as ever. however being the rainy season it bucketed down with rain, which was sometimes a good thing to cool the place down as july and August are the hottest months. The rainy season also attracts the most mosquitoes, which can be quite annoying. If you can I would advise sleeping under a net because the sneaky buggers love to eat away at you whilst you sleep Another bit of useful advice would be an airconditioned apatment because the Caribbean seems to have got a tad bit hotter over the years. We have the big ceiling fans all over our house, but I am considering investing in air conditioning for the bedrooms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.