Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice
Default Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

What are the main differences between a temporary I-551 and a Green Card?
I know that having a temp i-551 you're not considered a resident nor admitted to the United States.

But I am wondering what the differences are? Can you get a drivers license on a temporary i-551? What can you not do on a temporary I-551?

Wow all the small things in the immigration soup of spaghetti o's.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

Originally Posted by zarya
I know that having a temp i-551 you're not considered a resident nor admitted to the United States.

But I am wondering what the differences are? Can you get a drivers license on a temporary i-551? What can you not do on a temporary I-551?

There are no differences. I-551 is the technical form name for the "green card", for PR status. It doesn't matter whether that's in the form of a stamp or a plastic card. It's the same status.

The only difference might be in the expiration of the stamp or green card. You might have an I-551 stamp which is valid for 3 months, for example, or 1 year. Only the stamp expires, not your status. You might have a plastic I-551 which expires in 2 years (conditional green card), which means you have to do more work to preserve your PR status. Or you might have a plastic I-551 which expires in 10 years, but only the card expires, not your status.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are. There are plenty of people who receive temp I-551 stamps while they are waiting for their conditions to be removed from their 2-year green card. They are still considered a resident, and they are still admitted to the USA after travel abroad.

Can you get a drivers license on a temporary i-551? What can you not do on a temporary I-551?
Yes, but it's likely that the drivers license will expire when the temp I-551 stamp does. And you have to convince the guy at DMV that your I-551 is exactly the same as a green card. DMV folks are not familiar with all the forms the I-551 can come in.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Well in my case it would be being paroled into the country on a expired green card being sheduled before a immigration judge.

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:54 pm

Well in my case it would be being paroled into the country on a expired green card being sheduled before a immigration judge.

OK, you have an expired green card, and you know what will happen in your situation. Why are you asking about temp I-551 stamps and regular unexpired green cards, neither of which you have?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Because I am entitled to a hearing before an immigration judge and such hearings have major backlogs. Usually over a year or so, all depending on the state of course. In the meantime they will have to give me temporary I-551.

That's how it works.

I was just wondering what the difference was between me being on the temporary i-551 card and being a LPR with a green card

Last edited by zarya; Feb 3rd 2009 at 5:06 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:02 pm

Because I am entitled to a hearing before an immigration judge and such hearings have major backlogs. Usually over a year or so, all depending on the state of course. In the meantime they will have to give me temporary I-551.

That's how it works.
I see. In that case, once you arrive in the USA, and you receive a temp I-551 stamp in your passport, then there is no difference between that and a regular green card...just the expiration of it. Yes, you can get a drivers license using a temp I-551 stamp, as I said the license will be valid as long as the stamp is.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Noorah! I appreciate it
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The only real difference is in getting other people to understand that they are the same thing.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Once you are admitted to lawful permanent residence, you are a permanent resident considered lawfully admitted to the United States, "such status not having changed."

The primary evidence of that is the I-551 card -- which comes in three flavors --

1. The temporary stamp in the passport, good for the period endorsed thereon.
2. The "conditional" I-551's given to certain marriage cases and the EB-5 investor cases. They are subject to a "condition" that if one does not apply to remove the condition, the status drops dead. The "conditional" I-551's are good for two years.
3. The normal I-551 card [nicknamed the "green card" back when they were actually green]. These are now valid for 10 years.

Please note that ALL three flavors of the I-551 constitute evidence of being "lawfully admitted for permanent residence." They are just that -- evidence only. There is no magic in the full 10-year term card. The "conditional" cards are also evidence of "permanent" status -- don't ask me to explain the contract law of "conditions" which Congress, in its infinite wisdom grafted into the law to allow "permanence" which differed from "temporary residence" which is a completely different thing. "Conditional" residence is still "permanent residence."

BTW, I think some people get confused and think the "I-551 stamp" is actually the I-551 and ignore the fact that the actual resident card is the form I-551. [BTW, if you see any references to I-151 -- that form is obsolete and no longer valid -- if anyone has one of those, you are probably still an LPR but need to get it replaced.]

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 4th 2009 at 4:03 pm. Reason: fixed typo for posterity. :)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

There we go, explained in detail! Thank you Mr.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
3. The normal I-551 card [nicknamed the "green card" back when they were actually green]. These are not valid for 10 years.
TYPO!! Me bad. "Not" should be "now."
Old May 7th 2009, 7:34 am
Just Joined

AppleA is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I need to get a I-551 stamp if I'm traveling abroad or the I-551 card and extension letter will work ok?
Old May 7th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AppleA
Do I need to get a I-551 stamp if I'm traveling abroad or the I-551 card and extension letter will work ok?
Your expired I-551 card and the extension letter will be sufficient for travel outside the US. Don't forget to take your passort.

Ian
Old May 7th 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

AppleA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your expired I-551 card and the extension letter will be sufficient for travel outside the US. Don't forget to take your passort.

Ian
Ok, i was rushing to go and get a stamp.
I still have a valid I-551 card, so it should be fine, right? The stamp is needed when the card and the letter is expired, right?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.