Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:43 am
Just Joined

wim121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Hi all. We would like some advice off expats and those who have visited or lived in certain areas of the world. I would be grateful if you could read all of this, understand us better as people, then recommend what you think may suit us?

The problem is, we have been making preparations to leave the UK, but it is hard to find a country that seems to be the right fit. We want to find somewhere to live out the rest of our lives, somewhere we will be happy.

If I could list requirements and not to be intolerant, prejudice or hateful, but what we list is just the way we feel, what we are looking for and looking to avoid, could you recommend anything? I think it would be best for us to be honest even if our views arent politically correct, otherwise how can people recommend something suitable?

We are a young white british couple in our late twenties. We will both have degrees and work in IT, but would maybe like to teach. Conservative in morals but strong in our choice of morals (we generally keep our views to ourselves but have strong ones). We are more of the people, that agree in monogamy, homemaker and breadwinner, strong family values with children being nurtured instead of abandoned. We want to live in a conservative country, not as harsh as muslim culture, but in our opinion, they are more on the right tracks than liberal free loving countries in the west. We would like to live in a beautiful area, not too remote, but away from large cities. Somewhere with land to raise a family.

We disagree or dislike; homosexuality, children born outside of wedlock, the welfare state especially people getting pregnant as a teenager or being "disabled", political correctness and overbearing liberals, high crime rates/lack of respect of peoples property, dangerous dogs/pets that are uncontrolled and bylaws not enforced, profiling males as deviants and stripping away their legal rights, nanny states teaching children overtly sexual things at the wrong age or being arrogant in an overbearing way and various other problems.

I have had issues with africans/african-americans/carribeans and find them extremely racist on the most part. I dont care about peoples skin colour, but I dont want to move to a racist country that feels its acceptable to stone children just because they're white (one of the reasons why I wouldnt go back to the carribean, even though I could). The worst thing is, people dont even acknowledge racism against whites exist.

Requirements:
- We will be looking to adopt, so that needs to be an option.
- Need access to UK or similar/better healthcare as the other half has an eye condition that may need treatment or monitoring.
- Reasonable house prices.
- The ability to have only one parent working.

Countries we've ruled out (perhaps, for now):
- Canada: I do like it, have distant family already there, but for me, its too cold/damp/snowy, half the country is full of french people and it seems a bit boring. Looking at pictures of toronto's depressing concrete towers makes me feel suicidal.
- France: Everything about the french revolt me, nice country, Ideal in fact, shame about the inhabitants, cuisine, etc.
- Germany: I dont think I could ever bring myself to live in Germany because of past history.
- Japan: In our opinion, possibly the worst place in the world. We like some of the east and have had asian friends, but we hate evey aspect of the japaenese culture.
- Greece: Love the country and climate is nice (apart from dustorms), people are warm, but the main thing that killed this idea was the economic situation is so bad there.
- USA: I doubt we'd meet the requirements, even if we did, they are only a couple of decades behind the social decline the UK has.
- Italy: Just really dont like the people and although its nice, it isnt as great as everyone makes out in our opinion. We cant see why people love it so much.

Countries we like from what we've found out:
- Australia: Looks/sounds nice. They seem a bit liberal with their sexuality but nowehere near as bad as the west. Heard that attitudes to pms is going a bit sour and that concerns us. All the posionous creatures concern us, but hey. Have family near perth and adelaide.
- New Zealand: Out of everywhere, like the look of the Northland province the most, warm enough all year round. Everything we read and heard from kiwis we liked, such as their attitudes towards everything such as sexuality for instance. However, hearing some flippant comments lately about NZ being a police state has me worried. I dont want to move from one overbearing liberal westernised culture to another.
- Malaysia/Thialand: Only just realised in last few months, its easier than we thought to emigrate to. Unsure though as we cant find too much information and dont know people from those countries.

Any additional information or views on the countries we may like?

We really would appreciate input from everyone ...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Oh dear.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:57 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wim121,

Welcome to BE.

I see you have some very strong thoughts on different issues/topics and of course that is fine, but I think I just ought to mention that we have people from all walks here, so pleased don't' be surprised if someone takes umbrage with some of what you have posted. However saying that, you have been very honest about your likes and dislikes so that may help us to point you in the right direction.

As someone who has lived in 3 countries I can say there are good and bad in all countries, and as such you will never find the perfect country. Sometimes people are looking for greener lands in far off lands and have unrealistic expectations and become disillusioned with things when they have moved. I'm not saying that you fall into that box, but rather it's something you might consider. I'm also wondering if you have considered moving somewhere else in the UK?

Anyway as to your search you will find we have a very vibrant Australia and New Zealand forums, and small, but growing forums for Malaysia and Thailand. So please take some time to read through them and find your way around.

Welcome again.

Regards

Sue
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi wim121,

I see you have some very strong thoughts on different issues/topics and of course that is fine, but I think I just ought to mention that we have people from all walks here, so pleased don't' be surprised if someone takes umbrage with some of what you have posted. However saying that, you have been very honest about your likes and dislikes so that may help us to point you in the right direction.

Hi Sue and Sally.

My aim is not to offend people .... But please try to see we are from a certain walk of life ourselves.

The point is, we have discussed countries we like on the surface, but need advice from those that have taken the plunge.

We are conservative, raised with traditional values and I dont feel that's anything one should have to apologise for.

We need to be honest and open about how we feel, otherwise, someone could recommend a culture just like the one in the UK, which is what we are looking to escape from.

We would like an area where family values are the norm, instead of being abnormal.

The whole reason I posted on an emigration forum is for a sensible discussion on a conservative country with a strong moral fibre, rather than disagreements on opinions anyone should be entitled to.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well most of those countries you've ruled out probably wouldn't be able to get a visa for anyway.

Just look into visa requirements and go from there tbh.

The EU is your best bet, 20's in a field as common as muck with limited experience (degree, so about 5-6 years experience or so), so not much selling point for places that require a visa, especially when a lot of countries are getting people in from the sub continent who have masters, phd's etc and years of experience willing to do the IT work for much less.

With a small income, I'd probably suggest somewhere in the South America's, such as Uruguay or Paraguay, both fairly religious but not over the top, so would probably fit your political views, easy enough to get visa's and fairly good CoL.

Simplest solution though would be a move around the country because that'll still be cheaper than moving abroad.

Grass isn't always greener either, so take the opportunity to go travelling? Either way, good luck.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:11 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wim121
Hi Sue and Sally.

My aim is not to offend people .... But please try to see we are from a certain walk of life ourselves.

The point is, we have discussed countries we like on the surface, but need advice from those that have taken the plunge.

We are conservative, raised with traditional values and I dont feel that's anything one should have to apologise for.

We need to be honest and open about how we feel, otherwise, someone could recommend a culture just like the one in the UK, which is what we are looking to escape from.

We would like an area where family values are the norm, instead of being abnormal.

The whole reason I posted on an emigration forum is for a sensible discussion on a conservative country with a strong moral fibre, rather than disagreements on opinions anyone should be entitled to.
No offence taken at all. I just wanted to give you the heads up, that's all. As I said we have people from all walks of life here, from the very strict conservatives to the liberals of liberals ... and we welcome all. It's one of the reasons that BE is as vibrant as it is. And you've certainly come to the right place to pick up tips about living in different countries, as our members are really great at sharing tips and experiences, so I am sure you will find lots of info.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
As someone who has lived in 3 countries I can say there are good and bad in all countries, and as such you will never find the perfect country. Sometimes people are looking for greener lands in far off lands and have unrealistic expectations and become disillusioned with things when they have moved. I'm not saying that you fall into that box, but rather it's something you might consider.
Thank you for your suggestions. We have been looking at the far east recently, as some tend to be muslim or very conservative in views, which is a big plus for us.

I appreciate one can never find the perfect country, otherwise it would be pretty lonely in a country with only a few hundred people of the exact same views!

However I would like to find a country with a strong moral fibre. I can accept certain other things.

It isnt meant to cause offense. We just arent liberals and completely at the other end of the spectrum, hence why the UK has and always will be a bad fit.

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm also wondering if you have considered moving somewhere else in the UK?
Yes, I've lived all over in the UK. Apart from the overwhelming politically correct mindset of most people, the major problem is with how UK migration is handled and the governments/populas attitude to society.

We would be looking to move to another country with a culture we like and adopt their culture and laws, unlike migrants to the UK, who refuse to embrace the British way of life. We are not like that.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Well most of those countries you've ruled out probably wouldn't be able to get a visa for anyway.

The EU is your best bet, 20's in a field as common as muck with limited experience (degree, so about 5-6 years experience or so), so not much selling point for places that require a visa, especially when a lot of countries are getting people in from the sub continent who have masters, phd's etc and years of experience willing to do the IT work for much less.
I appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately the market is flooded and degrees far too common.

We have checked NZ and AUS with a migration officer already and have enough points to qualify for both quite easily.

US is pretty much out of the question as you stated, cant get a visa there at all.

However, finding a job is a different matter huh!

Originally Posted by Bob
With a small income, I'd probably suggest somewhere in the South America's, such as Uruguay or Paraguay, both fairly religious but not over the top, so would probably fit your political views, easy enough to get visa's and fairly good CoL.
Maybe so. The only worry is that countries there seem rather unstable and full of corruption/lacking a police presence?

Originally Posted by Bob
Grass isn't always greener either, so take the opportunity to go travelling? Either way, good luck.
Once we get a shortlist and investigate it as thoroughly as we can, we plan to take a trip to each location and check whether it is the right fit.

If we can dwindle the list down to a few, it would make things far easier on expense, especially when flying all over the world.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so. The only worry is that countries there seem rather unstable and full of corruption/lacking a police presence?
Not really...there's more to SA than Columbia and Brazil

Uruguay has recently been rated as one of the nicest countries to live in with a very good quality of life and very favourable in getting a visa. Paraguay is next door and very similar.

Argentina is another lovely country, pretty stable. May not have the best of politics, but it certainly is fairly stable and has a good economy, but a little more pricey to live in than the above two, but they're all neighbouring countries or there abouts.

You've got other places such as Ecuador, Peru etc that are nice places to live, no idea on the politics or visa, but I think they would certainly offer a different kind of life style to what you might be looking for compared to the ones I initially suggested.

Also from what you posted, have you considered China? They make getting a work visa fairly easy and they'll fill all your wants. It's a big country, there's more to it than just Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing. You'll really have to work on trying to fit in though unless you work for a company with a big western presence where language might not be as major of a concern.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wim121...just dropping by to welcome you to BE.

I suggest you take a look down the list of countries in our Living Abroad Forum...choose a country or countries you think may be a good fit and post your questions in there. This forum is to welcome new members to BE...therefore you will get a better response in the discussion forums.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 28th 2011 at 3:54 am. Reason: Info already posted by Sue
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. I have lived in NZ for just over 4 years now & I think you'll find it has a fairly liberal culture compared to the UK. Swearing is the norm on TV & Radio. It does feel safer than the UK though.

There are issues between Maori & Pakeha.

It does have a large number of churches though . I'm an anti-theist. And a significant number of our friends are homosexual. As a (non-practising) midwife I can tell you that the majority of babies I cared for were from unwedded mothers. That's not to say that they weren't in stable & loving relationships though.

Jobs in IT are currently hard to come by in NZ from what other posters have written on the NZ forum recently. Unemployment is high in Northland & most IT jobs are mostly to be found in the cities.

Do come & post on the NZ forum to find out more & to get other opinions
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:26 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. We would like some advice off expats and those who have visited or lived in certain areas of the world. I would be grateful if you could read all of this, understand us better as people, then recommend what you think may suit us
Is this a wind up/troll??

If not, I think you might need to take NZ off your list of places you think you could live! In my exprience, having lived here for 8 years, it is way more tolerant and accepting of the sort of 'alternative' lifestyles you don't seem to approve of than the UK. Pop over into the NZ forum and see what you think from the discussions there, or post some questions there
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:58 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. We would like some advice off expats and those who have visited or lived in certain areas of the world.

We really would appreciate input from everyone ...
Welcome to the Forum, Personally I don't think you can ever have someone else recommend you live somewhere as most have done it by visiting and falling in love with a place and knowing it will become home one day. Having lived in quite a few of the countries you have mentioned I can say that all the problems you have listed exists in them all.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all

As someone who falls into your list on things you disagree with, I'm gonna give you some friendly advice;

You may find it hard to fit in to many places, though the fact that you say you are not the type of person to try and force your views and morals on others and just hold them to yourself is probably a good thing for you.

So you may just have to pick a fairly liberal country, but go for a failry conservative area, like parts of America, in order to try and get the community that will hold the same values as you, which would make for an easier time moving.

That being said, you could also look at somewhere within the UAE, I have an uncle in Abhu Dhabi and the earning potential is quite good there for IT, and they have conservative values, but its nestled within a faith you may not find yourself fitting well into. And I have no idea how adoption is there.

I can totally see your point of wanting to fit in, and these things mattering to you, so I just thought I would say at the end of this that I don't take offense to the way you phrased yourself or anything like that, and although I do disagree with you disagreeing with some things, thats what the world and the internet is about, freedom of thought and speech!

(and I also hope that you don't get flammed too much!)
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Jeopardy, there are a lot of jobs there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.