Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

longest stay in canada as a tourist

longest stay in canada as a tourist

Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

an38672 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default longest stay in canada as a tourist

Going as a tourist, with no visa, just your passport and the return ticket, how long can you stay in Canada? 6 months or 3 months? I've heard it's 6 months in Canada, but I'm confused since for the USA it's 3 months. Is there any official website where it says 6 months?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:34 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: longest stay in canada as a tourist

You are allowed to stay in Canada for the period of admission granted by examining officer at Canadian port of entry. Maximum is 6 months but examining officer has the discretion to decide how long admission period will be granted. There is no way to know how long admission you will get - it may be anything from 24 hrs to 6 months.

Originally Posted by an38672
Going as a tourist, with no visa, just your passport and the return ticket, how long can you stay in Canada? 6 months or 3 months? I've heard it's 6 months in Canada, but I'm confused since for the USA it's 3 months. Is there any official website where it says 6 months?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 10th 2006, 1:33 pm
UK Tech

AwiserBud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You are allowed to stay in Canada for the period of admission granted by examining officer at Canadian port of entry. Maximum is 6 months but examining officer has the discretion to decide how long admission period will be granted. There is no way to know how long admission you will get - it may be anything from 24 hrs to 6 months.

Thats interesting, on what basis will they make their decision? I am hoping to visit as a tourist (hopefully for up to the maximum 6 months) and sort most of our paperwork for my PR while i'm there (my girlfriend is a canadian citizen in montreal and i'm a british citizen)
Old Sep 10th 2006, 3:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

May factors will affect officer's decision - your intentions, funds you have with you, your ties to home country, etc..

Originally Posted by AwiserBud
Thats interesting, on what basis will they make their decision? I am hoping to visit as a tourist (hopefully for up to the maximum 6 months) and sort most of our paperwork for my PR while i'm there (my girlfriend is a canadian citizen in montreal and i'm a british citizen)
Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:42 pm
Whistle a happy toon.....

dsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud of

Hi - we did something similar - came to Canada whilst waiting for our PR visa applications to be processed.

Assume you're flying in? If so, you have to fill out the immigration form before you land at the airport - and state how long you intend to stay for. We were very honest - said 6 months - and the immigartion officer asked us why we wanted to stay for so long. We told him it was for the ski season - which it was - and he was fine with that. Stamped us in for 6 months. We had flights booked to go back to UK, which may have helped.

Good luck with your application and enjoy your stay!

D2
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:13 pm
Ski Bum

SkiBum will become famous soon enoughSkiBum will become famous soon enough

I did the same - 6 months for the ski season. You can then apply, while still in Canada, for an extension by mail. This can be up to 18 months. We had no problem getting an extension at the end of the 6 months..
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Timmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SkiBum
I did the same - 6 months for the ski season. You can then apply, while still in Canada, for an extension by mail. This can be up to 18 months. We had no problem getting an extension at the end of the 6 months..

Hey SkiBum and D2!

Just interested....are you working in the ski industry? I am....are you being sponsored?

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AwiserBud
My girlfriend has done something similar. She arrived in May of 2004 and was a tourist until September of 2005 when she became a student. Now that her course is over she's a tourist again and currently has approval to stay until August 2007.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:47 pm
Whistle a happy toon.....

dsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud ofdsquared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timmo
Hey SkiBum and D2!

Just interested....are you working in the ski industry? I am....are you being sponsored?

Cheers
Hey Timmo

Yes in the industry and originally was being sponsored for this coming season but then.....OUR PR VISAS CAME THROUGH!!!! YAY!!!! So didn't need the sponsorship!

When we came in for the initial 6 months we were just ski bums tho'! Then we got a BUNAC visa for a year (which is just about to expire) and worked for the mountain, and now we've got our proper visas (well, once we get them in our passports!)

Where are you working? Have you got sponsorship yet?

D2
Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:52 pm
Ski Bum

SkiBum will become famous soon enoughSkiBum will become famous soon enough

Hey Timmo, yes I'm working in the ski industry in Fernie.

I'm planning to go back but it depends on whether one of the supervisors is going to be there called Tim W - he was a bit of a jerk and I don't want to work with him again....ha ha ha, just kidding

It's me - Simon P - I'll be back - are you coming back?

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey D2 and Simon!

Just searched your old posts D2 and you were working like myself and Simon (SkiBum)....all of us working as instructors. We were at Fernie. I'm currently the Marketing Coordinator at Mt Ruapehu, the biggest ski areas in NZ.

Simon, I was wondering what you were up to.....only yesterday I searched for your posts under your old pseudonym!

No, not heading back to Fernie unfortunately.....gotta go with Kara to Onterrible!!! Daaaaaamn, only fair though...she's followed me around. Anyway, if I get my PR and secure a good marketing job out West I'll do that.

I've withdrawn my SW application...taking too long.....we've submitted a CommonLaw application...so fingers crossed!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

canada_hope will become famous soon enoughcanada_hope will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
My girlfriend has done something similar. She arrived in May of 2004 and was a tourist until September of 2005 when she became a student. Now that her course is over she's a tourist again and currently has approval to stay until August 2007.
Is your girlfriend a British citizen? May be it is a lot easier for British people to extend their stay (visa) than people from other countries.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canada_hope
Is your girlfriend a British citizen? May be it is a lot easier for British people to extend their stay (visa) than people from other countries.

US. I think that does make it easier.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:56 am
Just Joined

DjSap is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering, how does one find out for how long the visa has been granted? I don't see anything in my passport that actually has a date. Does that mean that it is a standard 6 month visa?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DjSap
Just wondering, how does one find out for how long the visa has been granted? I don't see anything in my passport that actually has a date. Does that mean that it is a standard 6 month visa?
6mths if no earlier date was stamped/written afaik.